SE License in any state?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Texas you have to go ahead and register with NCEES directly, but the state approval comes automatically about 2 weeks later, that is if you already have a P.E. 

I believe my state allows you to take the SE exam to become a PE in the state.  I did take the PE first and am now going through the SE process.  I did have to get state approval to sit for the SE, however, I did not have to go through all of the paper work because they had already approved me to sit for the other exam.  I basically just had to email them which exam I was taking and they forwarded that onto NCEES as approval to sit.

I believe my state allows you to take the SE exam to become a PE in the state.  I did take the PE first and am now going through the SE process.  I did have to get state approval to sit for the SE, however, I did not have to go through all of the paper work because they had already approved me to sit for the other exam.  I basically just had to email them which exam I was taking and they forwarded that onto NCEES as approval to sit.
I did this as well kenny; took the SE in lieu of the PE for my state and then used the SE exam to get licensed in IL as an SE.

You should be careful and verify that would meet the requirements for licensure as a SE in whatever state you eventually seek that license.  While the examination requirement has become more standardized, that doesn't mean that everyone will accept your experience as SE experience regardless of whether you have passed the SE exam or not.
This is spot on.  Some states (Nevada for instance) simply require you have 4-years of experience after an undergrad.  Other states (utah for instance) require you obtain 4-years of post college experience AND get a PE, and then obtain an additional 3-years of post PE experience before you get your SE.  And there are all manner of in between in terms of experience requirements for specific states.

I do think its really weird that some states require 4-years of experience, while some require up to 7-years of experience and a PE.  Those requirements are considerably different.  And there may be states with more stringent requirements than Utah... I haven't looked very hard admittedly.

Back