SE III October 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here man.
My hardest subject is masonry right now. Drawing those interaction diagrams for shearwalls are a pain. :smileyballs:

Here's TOC2 for Concrete Masonry Design Tables

Can anyone tell me if this is the last time WA and CA offering SE III?

I have recently passed both SE I and SE II in last year, and I am not sure whether i can even appear for SE III. Do you guys suggest to take SE III?
I'm pretty sure that October 2011 is the last time SEIII will be offered in both WA and CA, so we have two more chances. I'm taking the SEIII because I'd really rather not have to take a whole new 16hr exam.
I have SE I and SE II under my belt. Do you think i will be able to take SE III or I have to take PE Civil to take it? Is WA and CA SE III are same or different? Can I get license in both states if I take any one of them?

Sometimes I hate CA SEIII and I am not planning to take it. We do not have projects requiring CA SE license, it will not gain profit eve I do have CA SE license. CA rule is tough and I am not qualified to take it even I am already licensed PE in CA and have passed SE-I and SE-II both. Wish your guys good luck!

Same here man.
My hardest subject is masonry right now. Drawing those interaction diagrams for shearwalls are a pain. :smileyballs:
Kevo, I am not sure whether you are aware of NCMA Concrete Masonry Design Tables, I use it sometime for my design checks, they are pretty handy. I used it in my SE II as well. Here is the link and I am also attaching it's table of content 1 in this one and TOC2 next post: http://secure.ncma.org/source/Orders/Produ...il.cfm?pc=TR121
Structural Warrior,

I don't happen to have that book, but it actually will not help because it is based on the 1999 MSJC. The 2005 MSJC requires a steel strain to be 4 times its normal strain for SRMSW subject to in-plane loadings. This is new to the 2005 MSJC. I do happen to have a fairly new masonry textbook which shows how to do this though. So, I am getting the hang of it.

To answer questions about the SE3. I know that WA has came out and stated that they will offer it for the last time on 10/2011. CA hasn't really gone as far as that.

The CA and WA exams are different, but equivalent. If you pass one, it's just like passing the other. WA is all essay, while CA is half MC and half essay. Both require for you to be a PE in that particular state before you can apply to take the SE3. WA's application is pretty easy while CA's app requires for you to get references for 3 other CA SE's.

The biggest kicker is that WA's passing rate is historically lower than CA's. Still, take it for what it is worth. You can't really link a passing rate to an individual.

Kevo, when I took the WA SE III, the pass rate was 22% while the CA SE III was near 50%. I don't understand the pass rate discrepancy, but I'd like to know why...

I do happen to have a fairly new masonry textbook which shows how to do this though. So, I am getting the hang of it.
Hey Kevo, what book do you have?

McEngr,

I have: The Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook: 6th Edition. (ISBN # 0-940116-02-2)

It is not perfect, but it does the job.

Guys,

You have long lists. My list is a little bit shorter than that.

I have few questions regarding SE III Exam:

1- What is the best way to study for this exam especially for someone like me never did masonry or wood design?

2- In Washington Board website, I did not find anything about how many problems in the exam, building or bridges, .....etc. Was it there before?

3- Does Wind Load included in this exam? I mean how to generate the load?

4- In the exam, does it mentioned to you which design method (ASD or LRFD) you have to use to solve each problem or using certain load combinations?

5- Does it mentioned to you that to design the walls "masonry or concrete" as slender wall? If not, how do you know that the wall is slender or not especially that there is no concrete limits in the code to address that?

Thanks all

Does anyone know if you can exclude doing any bridge problems? Or do you have to do some of each (buildings and bridges) on the SEIII? I'm dreading having to buy and learn the AASHTOE 4th edition LRFD blah blah updated etc. with revisions book. How many essay problems are there for the whole day?

Thanks

Does anyone know if you can exclude doing any bridge problems? Or do you have to do some of each (buildings and bridges) on the SEIII? I'm dreading having to buy and learn the AASHTOE 4th edition LRFD blah blah updated etc. with revisions book. How many essay problems are there for the whole day?Thanks
In Oregon, they warn you before the test to not attempt any bridge problems because they aren't identified by the board. I think that in WA, you have a choice to do all bridge or all building.

Does anyone have an opinion on the ACI SP-17 Design Handbook? It's referenced in my SEAW Structural Exam Refresher Course Material and I'm wondering if it will add more insight and examples to what I already have in regards to seismic design.

Thanks!

Does anyone have an opinion on the ACI SP-17 Design Handbook? It's referenced in my SEAW Structural Exam Refresher Course Material and I'm wondering if it will add more insight and examples to what I already have in regards to seismic design.
Thanks!
I'd be curious about this book as well. I have the kaplan books which appear to cover the same material, but with SP-17 directly from ACI it may be a good idea to purchase.

McEngr,

I thought that SP-17 was simply the column interaction diagrams and some examples on how to use them.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but these diagrams are published in most places these days. It might not be all that helpful.

McEngr,
I thought that SP-17 was simply the column interaction diagrams and some examples on how to use them.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but these diagrams are published in most places these days. It might not be all that helpful.
Nope, the SP-17 is definitely the ACI Design Handbook.

The 2005 MSJC requires a steel strain to be 4 times its normal strain for SRMSW subject to in-plane loadings. This is new to the 2005 MSJC. I do happen to have a fairly new masonry textbook which shows how to do this though. So, I am getting the hang of it.

Hey Kevo, could you reference where this is? Is it in chapter 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
McEngr and Kevo_55

Any thoughts about my questions?

Thanks

Kevo_55

Did you buy this book "SEAOC Blue Book Seismic Design Recommendations"?

What do you think about it?

1- Is it different from IBC and ASCE? or it explains them?

2- Will it be useful for SE III WA exam?

3- Does it have solved problems?

Thanks

McEngr,

Ok, I googled the SP-17 and it is basically design aids for beams, columns, & slabs for ACI 318-05. It seems like a nice book but I am not sure since I am doing things "long hand."

Oh, and the section in the MSJC for SRMSW with the 4x strain is section 3.3.3.5.3.

Mook,

I will be taking CA's version of the SE3, so I'm not sure about your bridge question. CA's version is 100% buildings.

The SEAOC Blue Book is quite a nice read which explains the reasoning behind everything seismic in older & modern codes. It is not a reference that I would recommend that you take into the exam with you as it only has the CA structural engineer's association's recommendations for various items in it. It has no solved problems in it.

Whew, back to studying. :whipping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kevo for your answers

I checked ACI SP-17, it does not seem a book has advanced topics that would help in an exam like SE-III

I am taking the Washington state SE III this October too. I have called the board office and they told me they do not provide any sample questions. Does anyone has some information to share? Thanks. John

I am taking the Washington state SE III this October too. I have called the board office and they told me they do not provide any sample questions. Does anyone has some information to share? Thanks. John
As far as I know you get 3 essay problems in the morning and 3 essay problems afternoon. One of the three in the morning and in the afternoon is bridge problem. If you pick the bridge problem in the morning you have to pick the bridge problem afternoon.

I really could not find any format for the exam in WA board website, I even do not know if we can pick the design method "ASD" or "LRFD" or will be asked to follow certain method.

IF you have any more information please let me know. I have 5 questions about the exam, just scroll up a little bit.

Back