SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm legitimately very confused.  I must be incredibly delusional, because I thought I did well except for running out of time on the 4th question.  This (in my head) was a matter of U vs IR on the last problem.  And I'm looking at these results dumbfounded.  Like these couldn't be my results.  The only thing I can think of for the morning is that I missed a bubble and proceeded to bubble in the wrong order for too long.  But that doesn't explain the afternoon disaster.  Hoping that they accidentally reported someone else's score on my NCEES page, but I guess that's incredibly unlikely.  I think I'm more upset with how delusional I must be than the actual result.
I feel the exact same! It doesn't feel like my results are correct. I don't doubt that I possibly failed - I'm not debating that, but my results were definitely not a reflection of the exam that I remember taking. I somehow received a "IR" for Steel but "Acceptable" for Wood...Steel is my strongest, and wood I've only done a very little amount of even in industry. 

I decided to actually try the $75 manual verification - I don't think it's gonna change anything, but I can't shake that feeling of "somethings wrong here"...and Damnit, I need closure! LOL.

I'll let you know what happens if it helps. :)

Yes please, I'd appreciate it.

This Oct. 2019 cycle was my first time taking the SE and seeing those "unacceptables" was purely soul crushing. 
Sent. I understand the soul crushing nature of the "unacceptables." If you run into a snag, PM me and I'll see if I can help you out of it.

I feel the exact same! It doesn't feel like my results are correct. I don't doubt that I possibly failed - I'm not debating that, but my results were definitely not a reflection of the exam that I remember taking. I somehow received a "IR" for Steel but "Acceptable" for Wood...Steel is my strongest, and wood I've only done a very little amount of even in industry. 

I decided to actually try the $75 manual verification - I don't think it's gonna change anything, but I can't shake that feeling of "somethings wrong here"...and Damnit, I need closure! LOL.

I'll let you know what happens if it helps. :)
Thanks, JP! I emailed them because I couldn't shake it. I may do it as well but I feel it's more geared towards manually checking your own results and I was hoping the wires were just crossed since I did bad on both sessions and definitely didn't have that vibe during the test. 

Thanks, JP! I emailed them because I couldn't shake it. I may do it as well but I feel it's more geared towards manually checking your own results and I was hoping the wires were just crossed since I did bad on both sessions and definitely didn't have that vibe during the test. 
Yea, It did say in the information section that it won't change your afternoon score so if you know you did poorly there, then there's no point in doing.

Yea, It did say in the information section that it won't change your afternoon score so if you know you did poorly there, then there's no point in doing.
Exactly, which is why my only hope is that I was incorrectly given someone else's test results, as unlikely as that may be.  I don't know if that ever happens, but for some reason I've convinced myself it did.  Delusional!

Well, that was interesting.  Got my results, and I got wrecked (to the point I was thinking NCEES even screwed up my results).  Lol each time I've though I've done so much better and I kept getting worse.  Oh well, no SE in my future I guess since my Vertical expired with this test.  I can live with that.  Best of luck to the rest of you!
My condolences on the expiration of the vertical test. That is soul crushing. Maybe take some time off and focus on passing lateral, knowing that vertical is at least possible? Also, the CBT conversion may lessen people's pain. If the results are available withing a couple of weeks, and the test is offered more often...that would be a game changer. I also like David Connor's idea of having NCEES track your "acceptables" on certain types of problems. You should be able to pass Steel and concrete in one administration, and then the other materials in another. 

They got back to me and assured me my results are my own.  I still don't know what to think about that.  I guess I really am that delusional.  Honestly, I started this process 5 years ago with the thought I would hopefully either pass both or fail both and be done.  Passing one forced me to take a 2nd try.  Then with expiration close, I decided one last ditch effort was worth it for lateral.  I think the soul crushing part is really just the fact that I did much worse this time, yet I came out feeling much more confident.  The test has very little bearing on my future, but I'm debating between retrying both now and taking the courses, or just abandoning ship.  Probably going to do the latter due to the lack of impact, but I guess I'm just pissed with my latest result lol.

They got back to me and assured me my results are my own.  I still don't know what to think about that.  I guess I really am that delusional.  Honestly, I started this process 5 years ago with the thought I would hopefully either pass both or fail both and be done.  Passing one forced me to take a 2nd try.  Then with expiration close, I decided one last ditch effort was worth it for lateral.  I think the soul crushing part is really just the fact that I did much worse this time, yet I came out feeling much more confident.  The test has very little bearing on my future, but I'm debating between retrying both now and taking the courses, or just abandoning ship.  Probably going to do the latter due to the lack of impact, but I guess I'm just pissed with my latest result lol.
Sorry it worked out like this.  It took me 3 tries to pass lateral, and I studied a lot for my second try.  After finishing try 2 I walked out super confident, just to find out I did worse than the first try (when I barely studied).  I took EET and almost every class had a DOH! moment where I realized how I messed up a question from try 2.  After try 3 I finished the morning part of the exam about 30min early (including going back and checking a few I wasn't super confident on).  It kind of dawned on me how misplaced my confidence was on try 2.  One thing to note was I typically run through an exam answering all the "easy" questions on my first pass.  On my 3rd try I answered 38 questions in my first pass.  However I got to the end and realized that when I skipped a question I forgot to skip the bubble, so about half my answers were bubbled one question off.  If I were more pressed for time and skipped more on my first go that may have completely screwed me.  Luckily I caught the mistake and fixed it relatively "cleanly" on the scantron.

Unfortunately I can't comment much on the afternoon.  I took Bridge and in the Vertical and 3 Laterals I thought all the afternoon questions were pretty straightforward.  I will note that for EET's bridge class they went through the types of afternoon problems in such depth that on my 3rd go all I really had to do was find the closest example problem in the EET binder and follow nearly verbatim.  Not sure on whether or not the buildings is similar, but it helped me finish the afternoon super fast.

The only thing I can say is that you could end up in my position not being grandfathered. I had the same mentality. I thought I was done. Next thing you know, I was not done. But now I finally am done for the time being, but I bet the future is not done letting me be done.

Sorry it worked out like this.  It took me 3 tries to pass lateral, and I studied a lot for my second try.  After finishing try 2 I walked out super confident, just to find out I did worse than the first try (when I barely studied).  I took EET and almost every class had a DOH! moment where I realized how I messed up a question from try 2.  After try 3 I finished the morning part of the exam about 30min early (including going back and checking a few I wasn't super confident on).  It kind of dawned on me how misplaced my confidence was on try 2.  One thing to note was I typically run through an exam answering all the "easy" questions on my first pass.  On my 3rd try I answered 38 questions in my first pass.  However I got to the end and realized that when I skipped a question I forgot to skip the bubble, so about half my answers were bubbled one question off.  If I were more pressed for time and skipped more on my first go that may have completely screwed me.  Luckily I caught the mistake and fixed it relatively "cleanly" on the scantron.

Unfortunately I can't comment much on the afternoon.  I took Bridge and in the Vertical and 3 Laterals I thought all the afternoon questions were pretty straightforward.  I will note that for EET's bridge class they went through the types of afternoon problems in such depth that on my 3rd go all I really had to do was find the closest example problem in the EET binder and follow nearly verbatim.  Not sure on whether or not the buildings is similar, but it helped me finish the afternoon super fast.
I just keep going back and forth with NCEES.  "How can you not have a verification of the afternoon?  It does me no good to have the AM verified if I can't have the PM verified."

It could very well be exactly what you said where I am confident in my results but am missing little things.  So I've almost made it better for myself with my preparation to find the trick answers rather than the right answers.  But I guess I just can't shake the feeling that I was confident on minimum of high 20's in # of questions during the test and somehow came out with a 20/40, and confident on a couple afternoon, and didn't get a single A.  Something just seems amiss given my significantly greater comfort with the material and the actual test on the 3rd try (I was around 26/40 last time I took it).  It just doesn't feel right, so to have no recourse on at least confirming the results provided are my own bothers me.  Delusional or not, that seems crazy.  It should almost be like a coach's challenge in the NFL.  I pay X amount to get everything rechecked.  If I'm right, I get my money back lol.

I'm back and forth between just giving up, continuing to try to find some way for them to check my test, and just for some reason now going and retaking both after taking courses since I've put in so much effort.  Just sucks to retake vertical now, and having 5 year old kids and more going on in my career now since that first try 5 years ago doesn't help the cause.  I briefly went through some impostor syndrome last night and started researching other careers and real estate investing lol.  I'm all over the map after these shoddy results.

I just keep going back and forth with NCEES.  "How can you not have a verification of the afternoon?  It does me no good to have the AM verified if I can't have the PM verified."

It could very well be exactly what you said where I am confident in my results but am missing little things.  So I've almost made it better for myself with my preparation to find the trick answers rather than the right answers.  But I guess I just can't shake the feeling that I was confident on minimum of high 20's in # of questions during the test and somehow came out with a 20/40, and confident on a couple afternoon, and didn't get a single A.  Something just seems amiss given my significantly greater comfort with the material and the actual test on the 3rd try (I was around 26/40 last time I took it).  It just doesn't feel right, so to have no recourse on at least confirming the results provided are my own bothers me.  Delusional or not, that seems crazy.  It should almost be like a coach's challenge in the NFL.  I pay X amount to get everything rechecked.  If I'm right, I get my money back lol.

I'm back and forth between just giving up, continuing to try to find some way for them to check my test, and just for some reason now going and retaking both after taking courses since I've put in so much effort.  Just sucks to retake vertical now, and having 5 year old kids and more going on in my career now since that first try 5 years ago doesn't help the cause.  I briefly went through some impostor syndrome last night and started researching other careers and real estate investing lol.  I'm all over the map after these shoddy results.
I absolutely sympathize with you. I've been through the gamut with it. If you don't have someone close to you that is familiar with the content, the only solution is to take a course. I wouldn't have passed it without one simply because I didn't even really know what to look for. Seismic Design Category C makes you lazy I guess, but I've never seen anything above that and I generally do delegated design work anyway. To this day, I think it is stupid that I had to have an SE to do what I do, but I digress. <-This is exactly why I'm shooting for a board appointment.

I KNOW how bad it sucks, but if you run through the course and do as the instructors ask, it'll all be over. AEI will teach you everything you need to know and you can put this to bed. Just look at yourself in the mirror, give yourself a swift kick in the arse, and hop right back on the horse. Don't get down on yourself about intellect, it's not about that. I'm well in MENSA category IQ, have near perfect academic credentials, and award winning mega-projects for huge companies and universities (Virgin, John Deere, and the University of Alabama to name a few). All that said, IT TOOK ME 5 tries for lateral. It is NOT about you. Taking this thing is like donning a blindfold, being spun around, and trying to pin the tail on the donkey. If you've never been exposed to the material, it's near impossible. It's just how it is.

@mikesltj23 for any portion of the PM problems, did you by any chance provide a written description of steps for how to solve? Via review classes etc I was always under the impression you can obtain partial credit this way. However, this may not actually be true as I have become aware very recently! 🤔

Here is the thing with writing steps/ outlining.... it works.

Both tests I thought I bombed 1 afternoon question,  concrete on vert and wood on lat...and ended up outlining most of them.  

Both tests I thought I crushed a question steel for both.  Gave lots of detail and fully answered (imo) all steps.

I got I on the two I thought I bombed....and U on the ones I thought I crushed....

Goes to show you the mind F of these and the value in outlining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the thing with writing steps/ outlining.... it works.

Both tests I thought I bombed 1 afternoon question,  concrete on vert and wood on lat...and ended up outlining most of them.  

Both tests I thought I crushed a question steel for both.  Gave lots of detail and fully answered (imo) all steps.

I got I on the two I thought I bombed....and U on the ones I thought I crushed....

Goes to show you the mind F of these and the value in outlining.
I can also attest to nearly eschewing all actual calculations and getting an acceptable on an essay question. I have conversely done detailed and (what I felt were) accurate mathematical solutions for problems and felt really good about them, and gotten unacceptable. Additionally, my sources tell me that wrong citations/procedures get points deducted. This tells me the following:

1. The key to the afternoon is procedure. Follow the right one, and you're nearly guaranteed an "IR" or an "A".
2. Math is only semi-important. 
3. Present a complete solution. Don't miss checks...but this seems less important then item #1. A missed check/verification isn't as bad as using the wrong procedure.
4. Focus on the trick that is inherent in each question. Based on the data, 70% of people can't identify the tricks in the 4 afternoon problems if you're buildings.
5. Graders check if you are competent, that is, if you know what you're doing. It is objectively easier to say "someone doesn't know this" if you do the wrong thing, cite the wrong portion of the code, etc. It is far more difficult to do this if you use broad generalities in procedural list of steps. It will be easier to hide what you don't know in this fashion rather than a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach. This isn't college.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mikesltj23 for any portion of the PM problems, did you by any chance provide a written description of steps for how to solve? Via review classes etc I was always under the impression you can obtain partial credit this way. However, this may not actually be true as I have become aware very recently! 🤔
Yes.  I actually thought I did WELL on 2 questions (acceptable), mediocre on 1 (A/IR), and outlined my steps on the 4th because I was running out of time (U/IR).  I THOUGHT I got a minimum of 26 or 27 questions (or had much confidence in them) before educated guesses on most and blind guesses on a couple.  So the thought for me really was that that 4th question was going to be the dealbreaker or that I did enough on that one to get through.  This was my 3rd time on lateral, and I never questioned the results the previous 2 times (around 26/40), just thought I had to study harder and do better...and I could have sworn I did.  Just the fact that I came out with more confidence that I got over the hump, and then came out with 0 acceptables on the PM and only 20/40 on the AM has me completely lost.  I was much better prepared this time around and did significantly worse despite my confidence during the test.  My first thought was how ridiculous I was to have thought I could have passed it.  My second thought was that I remember how I felt coming out of that, and something just seemed really off with those results.  And with no recourse to challenge it or have them recheck it, what's the point?  It's a black box that I'm just supposed to trust them they did their job and there's no glitches or errors on their end that may have misappropriated someone else's scores to me.

I acknowledge this whole time I just may be wholly delusional.  But I hate that there's literally nothing I can even do about it because it'd be special treatment to even check.  Even if I could do the AM verification, and it showed a gross error on their end, I can't challenge the PM.  And it's going to bother me to no end that I feel like I passed it, or at least came close to passing it, and this shows I've taken 10 steps back and would have to retake Vertical now if I wanted to try again.

Back