SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,

My first post here, so I chatted with NCEES and they said that there is no change in exam specs (codes). She said April 2020 will be per the same specs (codes) as October 2019?

Has anyone else asked this question? Do they typically wait a cycle before enforcing the latest codes in the exams?

On a side note, since most people shared their results, Here is mine (First attempt at both lateral/gravity)

Gravity - Acceptable

Lateral: AM - 28/40, PM - U, A, A, IR. 

I am intending to take lateral in April again.
Yes, the codes are not changing, (confirmed by NCEES) and usually they change it during the April cycle, so my guess is that it will remain the same util October 2020, and I think inevitably they will switch to IBC 2018 and everything that relates to it.

Yes, the codes are not changing, (confirmed by NCEES) and usually they change it during the April cycle, so my guess is that it will remain the same util October 2020, and I think inevitably they will switch to IBC 2018 and everything that relates to it.
Thanks! That helps, as I wasn't looking forward to learning/ looking for changes in ASCE 7-16 and IBC for this cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, they came through alright. I am with the majority, and failed both parts. I'll take it again next year. Though this time, one at a time.
Really sorry to hear that Rebel, were you at the Orlando test site? I met a few guys there … not sure if we met...
Best wishes to you next year. If you're looking for a good test review, I Highly recommend the SEAOI refresher course. Most of their teachers are exceptional, I really learned a lot from the seismic teacher and the concrete/masonry teachers...

SE-wishes......Could you help me out with studying for the morning of the Lateral exam? I'm a bridge guy and the morning is just killing me and it appears that you have it locked down! I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to share your knowledge!
Sorry been off a few days. I took the EET class for starters. It’s an amazing resource but not necessarily set up for max efficiency for AM questions. I created an individual binder for every topic including a separate one for details that are common across more than one subject. In the binders I have them organized such that I can solve questions as fast as possible. Then I test their effectiveness by solving problems (usually putting subjects away for a while then coming back to them). I also HEAVILY note all my resources. I know everyone says that but I try to go way beyond normal to the point where I try to set it up such that non-engineers could solve the problems (basically I try to ‘stupid’ proof everything as much as possible) with the belief that I will panic at some point in the exam. Since I’ve now taken this b_t_h 3 times, I’ve come to understand numerous question types that are tricky and tend repeat. I’m not saying they ask these question types (we are not suppose to discuss this stuff) but for example, I can solve anything related to IBC eqs for embedded posts and poles, seismic tanks ASCE 7 chpt 15, brace forces in EBF, Z for RBS, etc etc in less than 60 seconds. There were many problems I solved in even less than 30 seconds because I had every possible variation set up in general solution format. As I took practice exams, I went so far as to determine exactly where to put the calculator, my reference I’m working with and the exam booklet to save seconds. I built a bookcase of milk crates and screwed them together such that it provided a second worktable providing an L-shaped space. This may sound excessive, but it worked. I finished with a lot of time to spare and went back through problems to double check. Hope this helps .... 🙂

Hello! Anybody still here? I just passed my PE in October and was thinking about taking the SE sometime in the future. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for that? I will read through the thread more of course, but just wanted to see what people had for advice. Thanks!

Hello! Anybody still here? I just passed my PE in October and was thinking about taking the SE sometime in the future. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for that? I will read through the thread more of course, but just wanted to see what people had for advice. Thanks!
definitely read through. there's SO much info in here. any specific questions feel free to ask. there's lots of "how i passed" threads and more. 

highly recommend the AEI review course. 

AEI course is helpful. Then, get all the codes. Then, study and practice everyday for four months. That worked for me. For smarter ppl, maybe just need one month study.

Well, that's a means-and-methods question that I can't answer.  😉

There are a lot of good study suggestions on these threads.  Keep in mind, however, that everyone is different.  We all have different study habits, aptitudes, and work experience, so what has worked for one may not work for you.  I personally had success with some tactics that others here have recommended against.  That's not to say those people are wrong--I just wasn't comfortable using their approaches in my own study.  You know yourself better than any of us do.  

The goal is to develop mastery over the content and application of the codes.  Whatever approach gets you to that point will be successful.  At a minimum, know the codes in the exam specifications inside-and-out.  Best of luck!

I recommend AEI 

Hope for the best and expect the worst!... I'm Jk. lol 

I also recommend AEI. I'm only a few lectures in right now and I can tell you IMHO it's already better than PPI's...about the same price though. 

Ohhhh they're not that bad.  I mean it's long days but it doesn't feel like 9 hours.  

I have conference call that may only be 2 or 3 hours that feel much longer. Lol. 

Back