Safety Razor vs. Cartridge Razor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using a 1960's gillette tech safety razor with various blades (derby were OK, best were feathers) for a long time. Honestly, it's the best shave I've had. I think they key was a good badger brush as well as a good cream and when possible a hot towel. And following all the good tips above.

But, I've gone back to the cartridges recently, mainly because I can shave faster with them and use them in the shower. There is certainly a sacrifice with regards to quality though.

But, life has been a bit hectic lately. Once things calm down and I feel the need for slower and more refined start to my day I'll certainly end up going back to the safety razor.

My first two shave with the DE razor were a blood bath (no cuts, just lots of weeper) that left me not able to shave for about 3 days. I think my habits from using an electric shaver make it harder to maintain the right pressure and angle.

But, the last couple days I've been having great success with the electric razor by washing my face with a preshave soap and using a preshave powder. I got a very smooth and comfortable shave. The electric doesn't have the coolness factor though, and it's loud. I might try the DE razor again with a few prep and technique changes, but I can't keep tearing up my face.

I shave right after my shower in the morning, but also put the razor in a sink full of hot water. I douse my face with hot water from the sink right before putting the lather on my face with a badger hair brush. After the shave, I rinse my face with cold water to close the pores, then follow with a swipe of an alum bar to close any nicks and cuts from the shave. Don't give up, matt. Just refine your technique.

Thanks for the encouragement Buff. I've been reading more so I can over engineer/analyze the whole thing. There's a few things I'm going to do differently my next go around. I so need to buy an alum bar and not rub styptic all over my face.

A light touch is key. I use very short strokes. After Sap's post above I counted that I go over each area approximately 5-7 times, but I also let my beard grow out for 2-3 days before I shave.

stihlmanscape1.jpg

"Umm, feel free to say no to this, but would you shave my coin purse?"

Latest posts

Back