Safety Razor vs. Cartridge Razor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shower shave what isn't bearded for me. Razors last for eternity when you shave 2 sq in of face twice a week.

I was using the Gillette Fusion 4-blade system for a while. I liked it, but they are so expensive. I was at Walmart about a month ago and saw this for $5 and figured I'd give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Hybrid-Advance-Disposable-6-Count/dp/B00D1G8XA4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426274176&sr=8-5&keywords=bic+shaver

It's not nearly as comfortable as the Fusion although theyare a whole lot cheaper.

I just ordered the Truman set at Harry's for $10 a couple of days ago using coupon code: CAGCAST. I'll let you know if it works out.

My safety razor, shave soap, brush, blades, and styptic pen arrive today. All ordered from http://www.maggardrazors.com

Hopefully I won't need to use the styptic pen often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that my new shaving gear has arrived, I'm not feeling so tough anymore.

I was apprehensive too, but it's really not that bad. Give it a try, just don't be in a hurry.

Well, that sucked. I'll put this into "not going as planned" pile.

I'm guessing my lather sucked, the durby blades may not agree with my face, and I'm sure technique sucked worse of all. It's been three years since I've used blade of any type.

On a side note, styptic pens sting like hell, but work awesome.

(I need ice)

Dang, dude, I haven't had that kind of trouble and I have really sensitive skin. You might want to try a different lather, I use Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. It's a liquid that comes in a squeezable tube rather than an aerosol can.

I have Proraso cream. I tried to lather it directly on my face, which in hindsight was a bad idea. Tomorrow, I'll use a bowl/coffee cup.

Did you put a hot towel on your face beforehand?
I did not, but I washed my face with a preshave soap and warm/hotish water. Maybe I'll try a hot towel after the preshave soap tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I should try a different blade too. Or stick with the same blade while I improve my preshave routine and lather making skills.

Try a belt sander.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
almost feels like I did.

Everything I've read or been told says the hot towel is essential. I haven't tried shaving without it so I can't tell you the difference, but I don't really want to try either. I use a washcloth and soak it in hot water, then hold over my face and neck for 60 seconds or so, or until I can feel it getting noticeably cooler.

I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

I hate when things don't go as planned. It looked so easy on YouTube.

For me a shower first is essential otherwise it burns.

Insert shower joke here.....

You have to use the hot towel, or shave right after taking a shower. But honestly, I had to do that before using a safety razor too. So, I guess it wasn't a big change for me. Also, the trick with lathering is to either use a bowl or your hand. Wet the brush, squeeze the excess water out by gently squeezing the bristles at the base and pulling toward the end of the bristles. The water will run out. Then, if you are using soap in a bowl, swirl the brush around in the soap, pressing just hard enough to splay the bristles out. If you have a good soap, the lather will develop within seconds. If using a cream, put a dallop in the palm of your hand, then move the brush in a circular motion in the palm of your hand until it lathers. Creams are more picky about needing the right amount of hydration, so if it isn't lathering add a bit more water, if it is too loose of a lather, use less water in the brush. The lather should be rich and thick and you'll know it when you see it.

When it comes to the razor itself, the blades are a big factor. I almost threw it all away at first because I had these expensive blades that were shit. In the end, basic CVS blades worked the best for me. You can try different types, but don't be fooled by "big name" blades. The other part with safety razors is that you have to let the weight of the razor do the work. Don't pull the blade across your face, let gravity pull the blade down your face. You also want a flatter angle than you are used to with cartridges. Finally, don't think of it as beard removal but beard reduction. Let a little bit of beard be reduced with each pass. Taking the entire whisker off on one swoop means you are digging in and that leads to cuts. I pass the blade of each area of my face three times. When I'm done, my face is a smooth as glass.

Big thing is don't give up after one attempt. It takes time to get it right, and once you do, you will appreciate the feeling of a well shaved face so much, you'll likely never go back. Or at least everybody I know who has gotten the hang of it agrees with that statement.

Thanks for the input Sap and others. I'll make a few tweaks for tomorrow. In my head, it's going to be awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back