Review Course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the economics section, there were also some chemistry / strength of materials type questions on my exam that I would have not been able to answer without the FE Handbook.  

Yeah I saw nothing of that sort on my exam (that I recall but I'm pretty sure I would have remembered something like that).  The only thing "chemistry" related had to do with batteries and it was briefly covered in the course I took and somehow I remembered exactly what where to look in my notes.

I would expect a "strength of materials" type question to appear on a mechanical PE exam, not electrical, unless it had to do with transmission lines.

Don't want to run the risk of discussing questions in too much detail, but it was in relation to the effect of temperature on electrical components.

Did you guys put FE manual in 3 ring binder or you purchased a bound copy? Also, on Tom henry's index, I read that page numbers don't match index particularly for 2017 code. 

For FE manual I downloaded the free PDF (I remember it being a free download anyway) and I printed it 2-sided at work and put it in a 3-ring binder.  You are correct about Tom Henry's index.  Some page numbers don't match but they get you close enough to where you can find it quickly.  I only found a couple of examples where they didn't match on review/practice problems.  For the most part they helped.

Hi all,

I took the Power PE for my first time in April and failed. I did bad on protection and for some reason the code questions, which is odd since I work with the code book everyday. I wanted to see options on review courses. I like to study on my own, but maybe a course would help? I found many questions on the exam I've never seen before in a practice exam or through study material. I want to take it again in October.
Same thing for me. I use NEC 4 days a week and I only got 7 right past April.

For FE manual I downloaded the free PDF (I remember it being a free download anyway) and I printed it 2-sided at work and put it in a 3-ring binder.  You are correct about Tom Henry's index.  Some page numbers don't match but they get you close enough to where you can find it quickly.  I only found a couple of examples where they didn't match on review/practice problems.  For the most part they helped.
I think if you print Math, Economic and Electrical sections from FE manual that should do it. Trying to avoid taking unnecessary bulky stuff as you are already going to have handful anyway. What do you say? Even the instrument/control portion of FE may be not necessary. I am even debating about math sections but there be question on fourier, laplace etc which are part of Math sections. 

I am thinking electrical and economic section for sure.  

Really considering going all in this try for April 2019. Does anyone have any more updates on Review classes to take. Taking this test has been a big struggle for me.

Really considering going all in this try for April 2019. Does anyone have any more updates on Review classes to take. Taking this test has been a big struggle for me.
School of PE got me over the hurdle. I took the exam last April as well and failed. I truly believe the April test was easier than the October test, but they showed me enough information to come to an answer on almost all of the problems this time around. The only thing I would ask them to focus more on is Machines and electric power devices. That and a better economics portion. Their general was phenomenal. Their T&D section was pretty good too. Those 2 sections alone are said to be 60% of your test.

I finally passed it four years ago and was very pleased with GA Tech's course.  I've also heard good things about Zach Stone's course and the School of PE.  If the NEC was a problem I recommend, among their other books, Complex Imaginary's  NEC code drill book.  My approach to the test was to take several passes on exam day as listed below:

1) all easy problems that I could solve without referring to materials

2) All Code problems

3) Problems that I felt good about but required me to use materials.

4) problems that I felt somewhat good about

5) Problems that I had no clue about but had to guess.  In those cases I looked at what my other answers were and chose the letter/number that trended most.

Any problem that could not be worked on their respective pass was moved to the next go around.  By doing all Code problems on the same pass you minimize having to go back and forth between the Code book and other references. 

If you PM me I'll be glad to send you a detailed guide to my study method.  By no means am I an expert.  Just telling you what worked for me.
I took the Ga Tech course this Fall (2018) and its woefully out of date! The instructor, an old retired geezer, seemed more concerned about teaching basic EE circuits than getting us prepared for the actual test. He had the Relay section taught by one of Tech's relay experts but, again, he was more interested in teaching the theory and basics rather than addressing exam type questions. Teaching an undergrad or grad course is a very differente animal than getting professionals ready for an exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Ga Tech course this Fall (2018) and its woefully out of date! The instructor, an old retired geezer, seemed more concerned about teaching basic EE circuits than getting us prepared for the actual test. He had the Relay section taught by one of Tech's relay experts but, again, he was more interested in teaching the theory and basics rather than addressing exam type questions. Teaching an undergrad or grad course is a very differente animal than getting professionals ready for an exam.
LOL, how insulting. I actually know Dr. Callen and he has a wealth of knowledge as it pertains to electrical and power systems engineering. I'm sure he has not completely kept up with how the exam has evolved since he first started offering his Power PE review course. And some college professors tend to get complacent in their roles using the "copy/paste" methodology. However, when I took the course, it was a fantastic review from being out of school for a number years. Basic circuits is one of the foundational elements to EE and it certainly doesn't hurt to review this information as it does show up on the exam. I agree that a college course can be very different than preparing for the FE/PE exam. However, these courses will offer instruction on various foundational concepts such that can then be applied during one's exam studies. There are other review courses available that are more geared specifically towards exam prep and just rattle through problems. But often times these courses skip over how to understand and apply the concepts accordingly. In my opinion, the GA Tech course focuses more on understanding concepts rather than just doing exam problems and that was quite helpful for my specific studies. YMMV

I was in your shoes this time last year. I failed my first time as well. Take a month or two to gather yourself and do things you enjoy. Look at your diagnostics and find material that will help strengthen those areas you did poorly in.  Look on this site for recommendations. For me, I took the GT course and Zachs PE Power Review course. I'm not complaining because I passed on my 2nd try.

ultimately it is up to you which course you take. Study everything again and don't just focus on the areas you didn't do so well in. Good luck I know you can do it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Eng Pro Guide has also compiled 40 question paper with solutions just for Code. I did purchase that and it was helpful to me in practicing. I believe doing a exercise of looking for how to solve for code questions makes you actually look for solution in the code books and it is good for your memory/practice later on in the exam.

Since I passed , I do not have the breakup of the marks I got, but I was confident that I did good on 13 Code questions..

Cheers..

LOL, how insulting. I actually know Dr. Callen and he has a wealth of knowledge as it pertains to electrical and power systems engineering. I'm sure he has not completely kept up with how the exam has evolved since he first started offering his Power PE review course. And some college professors tend to get complacent in their roles using the "copy/paste" methodology. However, when I took the course, it was a fantastic review from being out of school for a number years. Basic circuits is one of the foundational elements to EE and it certainly doesn't hurt to review this information as it does show up on the exam. I agree that a college course can be very different than preparing for the FE/PE exam. However, these courses will offer instruction on various foundational concepts such that can then be applied during one's exam studies. There are other review courses available that are more geared specifically towards exam prep and just rattle through problems. But often times these courses skip over how to understand and apply the concepts accordingly. In my opinion, the GA Tech course focuses more on understanding concepts rather than just doing exam problems and that was quite helpful for my specific studies. YMMV
Agreed. I'd been out of school for almost 25 years prior to taking the course and passing the PE.  I'd qualified experience wise to take the exam years before but needed a course that would give me a strong review of the basics prior to taking practice exams.  GA Tech and the internet played a huge part in getting me there.  The course may not work for some and that's fine.  However to characterize him as an "old retired geezer'  is crude and unnecessary. 

Back