Retaking the Civil PE exam, how could NCEES help us better?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all very much for the support and suggestions.

I hate conceding on this topic, but it seems like you all agree that there's no point in pestering NCEES to adjust their process. I find that disheartening when many like me suffer and I don't think helping us out more would devalue the PE license as youngmotivatedengineer stated. The test requires a lot of studying and preparation and I don't think helping those who fail better prepare for a retake would make the PE license an easier venture...it'd honestly just save many people a lot of money and stress and depression.

Anyways, since my hopes for that seem to be but me alone. I am taking in all the suggestions you all have made for my next attempt. I will take April off and go on a much needed vacation. I will attempt the October exam, but with a new in-depth subject. I will let go of Geotech and take an exam prep course for a new subject. My second best subject was water resources and it's the in-depth exam that many of my co-workers have taken. Thoughts on the water resources in-depth for someone who has little experience outside college courses?

I agree with many of you who said that anyone could really take any in-depth exam if they study hard enough. NCEES was trying to convince me that I'm failing due to my lack of work experience. Although that may help, it doesn't explain why many students right out of college can pass no problem. I think those that pass out of college just excel on all the computation-based questions, which compensates for the few problems that require more experience.

As for how I test/prepare to take an exam. I already give myself a cheat sheet of common mistakes I make while doing practice problems. Unit conversions have never been an issue (that I know of) as I have that bold on my cheat sheet and make sure to note what the units are in every problem. This last exam I gave myself enough time to re-do many problems to make sure I did them correctly (in my mind) and took the time to look at units and significant figures. I know it's hard to explain. Believe me, I frustrated my teachers in school because they saw my work and study materials and still couldn't figure out why I made the mistakes I did on an exam. Many chalked it up to test anxiety, but yet I rarely feel anxious during an exam. I feel weirdly calm and confident. Especially this last exam I worked fast, but thought through each question. I finished going through the exam once with an hour to spare, so I went back through and re-worked the problems I felt I worked too fast on and worked on the problems I skipped.

I also study every subject. After the first exam, I learned that I was better off studying everything than trying to only focus on my strengths/weaknesses because you never know what problems will be thrown at you. My first exam was heavily embedded with settlement and consolidation questions, but the second had next to none. I was thankful I chose to study up on settlement and consolidation so I could be prepared, but I didn't focus solely on them. So I never sacrifice subjects I feel confident in. For each exam, I review from the beginning and just look for new practice problems to learn from.

I did take the Seismic and PE at the same time during my second attempt at the PE. I felt confident I could pass both, but that failed. I took EET for the Seismic depth and loved it. My teacher made it so easy and I passed all his practice exams with more than enough room to spare. I practiced his written and computer based practice exams, improving each time. He was confident in me. It was the first exam I took during that exam cycle and I broke down. For the second time that I've been aware of, I did suffer test anxiety where I felt anxious and "in my head." I hoped my continual passing of practice exams would pull me through, but it didn't. I failed and my teacher, like I've stated above, was in shock. He told me to take a break from the specialty exams until I pass the National, then he would help me study free of charge. I know I can pass the Seismic. I was so close, but I broke down stressing about failing both exams, which is exactly what happened. However, when I took the National during that time, I was slightly worried in the morning, but after working through the problems, I became confident again. By the time I left the exam, I felt I had for sure passed that time.

I'm sorry if I didn't address everyone's responses. I read them all. I truly appreciate all of them. I really do. I needed this, even if it wasn't the direction I wanted, it still helps. Thank you.

megs, it sounds like your mind is in the right place now.  You know what needs to be done.  I would pick either CA-Seismic or the 8-hr, but not both, and hit it hard.  You might consider knocking out Seismic real quickly (sounds like you were really close - and the material is fresh to you - and EET is there for you), and then get back on the 8-hr?  Have you already passed the CA-Survey?  For the 8-hr, pick a depth module and stick with it.  It's very counter productive to keep switching modules.  In fact my advice would be to continue with Geo but if you feel you must switch, then try to make it your last switch.  Good luck.   

All the tests and quizzes you took in college were knowledge-based which is similar to the FE.  The PE exam is practice-based.  Definitely NOT the same rationale.
If that the case, the person in question, should look why he failed the test but using the excuse "I am bad in taking exam"

I think you need to examine why you did not passed. Look at the materials and understanding it

When I took the exam, the construction portion very much felt like the morning session. I have heard this from others who took the construction portion as well. It was a bit more in depth, but still had more variety. This is as close to the "general civil" afternoon section as you'll probably get.

If you sign up for the Construction depth portion, DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY!!!!  I took it in October and passed, but this test historically has one of the lowest passing rates because everyone thinks it will be easier than the other Civil options.  I can tell you, it certainly is not.  I, like most everyone else that passed, put a massive amount of hours into studying and preparing.

Back