Relocation woes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome, Mary.

City-Data is actually where I found the broker, as he seemed to offer advice to a couple of people in that area. Unfortunately I've only seen a handful of people mention the areas I need to look into, and most were going to be buying a home and were more concerned about the school system, etc.

My company is pretty strict about what carriers they will reimburse for for travel arrangements. Being that I'm moving out of an apartment, it wouldn't make much sense for me to use one of those as I have nowhere to plunk it down. My furniture and everything is pretty minimal, but I have some fairly high-priced electronics that I'm not big on just leaving to hang around.
We had a neighbor whose new firm paid for her relocation with their standard 18-wheeler moving truck. But she was hired fresh out of college so all her stuff could have fit into a minivan with room to spare. The firm paid the moving company to drive that huge truck (95% empty) from Michigan to Florida.

Then to top it off, it was geometrically impossible (both vertically and horizontally) to get the semi back into our apartment complex. They had to park it down the road and pay another company to move the stuff the last quarter mile.

It was inefficient to the highest degree, but they went by the book. :thumbs:

We had a neighbor whose new firm paid for her relocation with their standard 18-wheeler moving truck. But she was hired fresh out of college so all her stuff could have fit into a minivan with room to spare. The firm paid the moving company to drive that huge truck (95% empty) from Michigan to Florida.
Then to top it off, it was geometrically impossible (both vertically and horizontally) to get the semi back into our apartment complex. They had to park it down the road and pay another company to move the stuff the last quarter mile.

It was inefficient to the highest degree, but they went by the book. :thumbs:

Well, I hope they've got a small truck, because a twin mattress is the largest thing I own, followed by a cheap Ikea love seat. My apartment is I think 670 sq ft, and to call it sparse is a compliment.

Well, I hope they've got a small truck, because a twin mattress is the largest thing I own, followed by a cheap Ikea love seat. My apartment is I think 670 sq ft, and to call it sparse is a compliment.
Typical car guy.

I was the same way, once upon a time. A firend and his wife came over to my apartment. The guys wife wandered over to the dining table and asked, "What's this?"

Me: Its a rallye dash for a 1973 Gran Torino sport.

Her: I can tell you're not married.

Me: Why?

Her: No wife will let you keep a rallye dash for a 1973 Gran Torino Sport on the dining room table.

Typical car guy.
I was the same way, once upon a time. A firend and his wife came over to my apartment. The guys wife wandered over to the dining table and asked, "What's this?"

Me: Its a rallye dash for a 1973 Gran Torino sport.

Her: I can tell you're not married.

Me: Why?

Her: No wife will let you keep a rallye dash for a 1973 Gran Torino Sport on the dining room table.

I always tell people that I'm looking for a garage with a small house attached to it. And I'm not kidding, either.

In my Ohio State days, I lived on the 18th floor in a suite with 9 other guys, 3 of whom I shared a room with. I managed to store a Dart headed 406 SBC and two nitrous bottles in there until the semester was over and I could bring it back to CT.

Hell, if I could get cable, a crapper, climate control, a fridge, and a stove in a steel building or pole barn, I'd rather live in that! I'd LOVE to find a two car garage in NC, since I need room for the drag car, drill press, brake, bender, welder(s), plasma cutter, air compressor, etc, and I'd like to have the body off the frame to boot. Plus, the double driveway would be nice so I don't have to leave the truck and trailer in the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with a guy who built a house that was over a six car garage plus workshop. he restored two Model T's, a 1925 Chevy Tourer, 1967 Riviera and 1969 T-bitrd in their during the six years I worked with him. he had an awesom collection of hand tools as well. he didn't use power for anything. he did everything by hand. Did have a sandblaster, though.

Hell, if I could get cable, a crapper, climate control, a fridge, and a stove in a steel building or pole barn, I'd rather live in that! I'd LOVE to find a two car garage in NC, since I need room for the drag car, drill press, brake, bender, welder(s), plasma cutter, air compressor, etc, and I'd like to have the body off the frame to boot. Plus, the double driveway would be nice so I don't have to leave the truck and trailer in the road.
one of my hubby's former coworkers bought land that had a huge pond on it and built this big steel building, then built a house inside the steel building. He is a ranked water skier so they now have a private pond to practise/give lessons and a building big enough to have a house and a boat showroom to sell powerboats. All the while it saves them thousands of $ in property taxes because it is a big metal shed, not a normal house.

I worked with a guy who built a house that was over a six car garage plus workshop. he restored two Model T's, a 1925 Chevy Tourer, 1967 Riviera and 1969 T-bitrd in their during the six years I worked with him. he had an awesom collection of hand tools as well. he didn't use power for anything. he did everything by hand. Did have a sandblaster, though.

Tempting as it sounds, notching 4130 tubing with paper templates and hand file gets really old, really quick, particularly when you've got 100+ notched joints on a single chassis.

Snick: Sounds like my kind of living, albeit I wouldn't want people wandering through my "house" a few days a week. If I ever do buy a home with any sort of decent sized property behind it, I do have every intention of erecting a stand-alone steel building behind it for a workshop. For what they cost and the simplicity of it, they're really hard to beat. Seems like there's decent ways to disguise them from being a huge eyesore these days, too.

Latest posts

Back