Registering for FE exam in april

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolant37

Reaction score
Hi

I'm registering for FE exam in april from Louisiana. I'm currently enrolled in the school.

Can somebody please give me some suggestions abt preparing for the exam and studying materials. Is it possible to pass the FE if i start to prepare from now. I'm pretty lazy and my gpa is also not tht good.

Any suggestions are welcome

thnx

Hi I'm registering for FE exam in april from Louisiana. I'm currently enrolled in the school.

Can somebody please give me some suggestions abt preparing for the exam and studying materials. Is it possible to pass the FE if i start to prepare from now. I'm pretty lazy and my gpa is also not tht good.

thnx
You should still be okay as far as time is concerned, though your social life may take a hit! :) As for suggestions to pass, I used the FERM and took a review course (that started in January and finished up the week prior to the exam). If your school offers a review I'd consider taking it.

Yah. Stop being lazy. Seriously unless you're a very good test taker you won't pass the FE or the PE without a good amount of studying.

If your school offers a review I'd consider taking it.
Most engineering schools have great review courses. I did no studying for the FE outside of the courses the school offered. THe course was something like 2-3 hours every Tuesday night for 8 weeks. Each night covered a different topic (some topics were 2 nights) and each was taught by a professor in that discipline.

Hi I'm registering for FE exam in april from Louisiana. I'm currently enrolled in the school.

thnx
You should still be okay as far as time is concerned, though your social life may take a hit! :) As for suggestions to pass, I used the FERM and took a review course (that started in January and finished up the week prior to the exam). If your school offers a review I'd consider taking it.

i m thinking abt taking review courses offerd by school. thnx for the sugeestion but these courses are just 3 hours long, not sure what'll they cover

some of frens passed it in first attempt and they say it was pretty easy but when i looked at materials, i feel like not taking it this april. i think i'll hav to study for 6 months at least. i really don remember nything.

nyways thnx to u guys.

Yah. Stop being lazy. Seriously unless you're a very good test taker you won't pass the FE or the PE without a good amount of studying.

yeah thts the real problem.

i m tryin to be a pro-active.

Which is easier to pass, general FE or Subject specific exam. i'm in civil.

I think most of u guys might have a feeling abt it. Plz help me to decide.... :sharkattack:

I passed the general exam. I found that it was basically an extension (although more difficult) version of the morning portion. I don't know how it compares to the other specific exams, nor do I know how much it's changed in the last 8 years (took it Oct 2002).

Which is easier to pass, general FE or Subject specific exam. i'm in civil.I think most of u guys might have a feeling abt it. Plz help me to decide.... :sharkattack:
Since ur still in school ur prob better off doing the general pm; that way you have to study once and that thermo crap is (relatively) still fresh. buy the ppi book (or any other FE book)...go through it in the next 3 months and u'll pass....If you start studying now u'll have ample time....remember passing rate for the FE is about 70-80%!

I passed the general exam. I found that it was basically an extension (although more difficult) version of the morning portion. I don't know how it compares to the other specific exams, nor do I know how much it's changed in the last 8 years (took it Oct 2002).
it means if i prepare for morning session. i can do general. sounds kool. thnx :thankyou:

Since ur still in school ur prob better off doing the general pm; that way you have to study once and that thermo crap is (relatively) still fresh. buy the ppi book (or any other FE book)...go through it in the next 3 months and u'll pass....If you start studying now u'll have ample time....remember passing rate for the FE is about 70-80%!
ya i will be doing the same way, but i am uncertain about difficulty of general and specific.

Is it an advantage to get a job if i will do the civil engg specific afternoon session? Any idea?

:thankyou:

ya i will be doing the same way, but i am uncertain about difficulty of general and specific.

Is it an advantage to get a job if i will do the civil engg specific afternoon session? Any idea?

I strongly suggest doing the AM session like everyone else and doing the general PM. The reason is because the PM is the same material as the AM session (thus, you only need to focus on one thing and not multiple things).

It is not advantageous to take the specific afternoon session for your major because it does not show on your EIT certificate at all. It only matters for the PE test. Job employers will only want to know if you have passed the EIT and not what EIT you have taken. A certificate of taking the PM electrical holds the same weight as a certificate of taking the PM civil or PM general.

I strongly suggest doing the AM session like everyone else and doing the general PM. The reason is because the PM is the same material as the AM session (thus, you only need to focus on one thing and not multiple things).
It is not advantageous to take the specific afternoon session for your major because it does not show on your EIT certificate at all. It only matters for the PE test. Job employers will only want to know if you have passed the EIT and not what EIT you have taken. A certificate of taking the PM electrical holds the same weight as a certificate of taking the PM civil or PM general.
thnx cheesepep, appreciate ur suggestion. i will be doing general. i don wanna study more thats why i asked. It's even tough for me to study for AM session and i dont think i can handle the specific exam PM session.

Are the AM and PM question all calculation based? or are there some questions that ask for example which statement is correct?

Are the AM and PM question all calculation based? or are there some questions that ask for example which statement is correct?
i just flipped the pages of FERM and it seems most of them are calculation based. I think test takers can help more on this topic.

i just flipped the pages of FERM and it seems most of them are calculation based. I think test takers can help more on this topic.
It is all calculation based. However, some of the problems only need minor calculations when you can assume certain situations (e.g. neglecting friction). It is only the matter of finding the right equation(s) and using them.

thnx

Buy Fe review manual by Michael R. Lindeburg and study at least once

then revise in d end

i prepared for 2 months

everyday 2 hrs atleast

took general test

Know where the formuales are in the supplementary book (Most important)

I passed

Back