References for the PM portion?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayman_PE

Quid pro quo
Reaction score
Hello out there.

I am preparing to take the Construction exam and would like to know what others found useful studying for the PM portion? I was hoping to find a 6 minute solution Construction book by PPI, as they offer one for the other Civil disciplines, but none for Construction.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Jason

Hello out there.
I am preparing to take the Construction exam and would like to know what others found useful studying for the PM portion? I was hoping to find a 6 minute solution Construction book by PPI, as they offer one for the other Civil disciplines, but none for Construction.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Jason
The two books by Ruwan Rajapkse: "Civil PE Professional Engineer Exam Construction Module" and "Civil PE Professional Engineer Exam Construction Module Practice Problems" are a good start. While each book is not laid out too well, they do cover the afternoon topics.

NCEES has the book: "NCEES PE Civil: Construction Sample Questions & Solutions" - from what most people say, this one is the closest in gauging the types of problems that will be on the exam (morning and afternoon)

PPI just came out with a "Construction Afternoon Depth Manual" that covers all of the topics too.

All of these are on the ppi2pass.com website and I am sure you can find some of these around the web.

I started with the Rajapske books and plan to take the NCEES Sample Exam this weekend to see how well I do with test like questions.

I've heard mostly poor reviews for Ruwan based mostly on the presentation and organization of material, although I've never seen it myself.

I had the fun task of studying for the 1st offering of the construction depth (April 08), before even the 11th CERM with the separate construction section (released May 08), and the references I found helpful:

CERM (really dig through it, there's a ton of construction depth stuff buried in there if you look for it outside of the "construction" section)

MUTCD

NCEES example problem book

NCEES exam outline

Bob's Rigging & Crane Handbook (I used the fifth revision, although I'm sure there's newer versions out there)

And that's about all I used when I took the exam. A general knowledge of OSHA is helpful, but there are so many obscure codes out there that you wouldn't know to study for unless you worked in the business.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was not awre PPI had a new construction afternoon breadth. Much appreciated.

Jason

Back