Recession Raise/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karma will catch up to the bankers one day. Right now the prestige of the profession is being put through the toilet.

I would hate to be a walking douche (aka banker/finance person) my whole life. I wouldnt be able to look myself in the mirror and honestly say that I am a productive person in society.

Karma will catch up to the bankers one day. Right now the prestige of the profession is being put through the toilet.
I would hate to be a walking douche (aka banker/finance person) my whole life. I wouldnt be able to look myself in the mirror and honestly say that I am a productive person in society.
Lawyers have had that reputation for a long time, yet there are still lots of lawyers graduating every year.

True, but you could sit on the hood of your Ferrari, bury your head in the chest of your big-breasted wife, and cry away your troubles.

The 2010 GS pay scales are up...looks like we got roughly 2% COLA this year.
One nice thing about gov pay is you can pretty much see where you're gonna be down the road, and COLA always come through.

I'd prefer having sex my hot wife (with giant fake boobs) on a pile of cash.

well all of you faired better than me.

2008 = no raise

April 2009 = received PE license and no raise, no bonus

May 2009 = 10% PAY REDUCTION

October 2009 = 20% PAY REDUCTION

2009 = no raise, no bonus

2010 = not looking any better

I do commercial site development and I'm just lucky to have a job

woohoo in march the hubby's company is reinstating the 2% cut they took last june and in april they are restarting the 401K match they took at that same time.

That's great news Snick! I've raise-less since 2008, but at least they haven't cut my pay. The manager over our office has put in a request with corporate about giving raises this year, but we haven't heard anything yet. It's nice to have a job though.

The 2010 GS pay scales are up...looks like we got roughly 2% COLA this year.
One nice thing about gov pay is you can pretty much see where you're gonna be down the road, and COLA always come through.
I work for local government. The "big boss" recently reached into our contract and took the raises out. I don't think it will stand but he's trying to do it. We'll see when raise time comes around but nobody in our union is due until April.

Had my first raise since late 2008 (when I got my PE) and got my first actual "bonus" check (1 week of extra pay). It's a ~2% COLA and the office manager said that although we're getting raises now, it doesn't mean we will or will not get anything else this year. They are pushing for an additional 2-3% since our office's hard backlog is at it's highest since 2006 (gotta love on-call contracts).

Last edited:
Last raise I got was one I negotiated a year before I got my PE, at about 10%. Since that raise, I have gotten a 20% pay REDUCTION. In that time, I have earned my PE (October 2008), and am the only other engineer here in the office, other than my boss. I have also brought in a couple projects that will hopefully turn things around for us, but we'll see. BTW, in case you can't tell, I'm a little butter about all this. I know it has to do with the economy, not my performance, but it still sux. And yes, I'm happy to have a job. 80% of a job is better than 0% of a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I got about a 15% pay CUT, no bonus.

I haven't made MORE money than the previous year since 2004-2005, and I passed the PE in 2007.

so this year me and a few guys started our own company. Time to reverse that trend!

Back