Random rules...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTjoy

Reaction score
I know states differ but I am wondering if any of you have had problems with (or heard horror stories about) any of the following:

1) Clear sheet protectors. Some of the pages in my 3-ring binder are getting abused and torn up, so I'm planning to put them in sheet protectors. Is this allowed?

2) REMOVING things from the 3 ring binder. What if I have my printed ENVRM index stapled, punched and in the 3 ring binder, and then I take it out for ease of reference and to flip through it faster? Or what if I have a handy-dandy formula summary sheet (or periodic table, conversion chart, anything...) that I want to pull out of the binder? Any rules against taking that out?

I know these seem like silly questions but I've heard some stories that make me very cautious.

#2 would most likely be a no no in most states as it would be considered loose paper which is forbidden. If it is something you use a lot be sure to put it at the front or back of the binder for faster access.

#2 would most likely be a no no in most states as it would be considered loose paper which is forbidden. If it is something you use a lot be sure to put it at the front or back of the binder for faster access.
I agree with this assessment. I copied the list of Appendices from the ENVRM and put it in the front of my main three-ring binder. Better safe than sorry...don't plan on removing ANYTHING from your binders! As for #1, when all else fails, call your state board.

#2 would most likely be a no no in most states
As for #1, when all else fails, call your state board.

I think the proctors and other exam takers would appreciate you excusing yourself to the proper facilities for either a #1 or a #2... It will cost valuable exam time, but will probably be worth it for your own comfort. Not to mention the comfort of the testees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the proctors and other exam takers would appreciate you excusing yourself to the proper facilities for either a #1 or a #2... It will cost valuable exam time, but will probably be worth it for your own comfort. Not to mention the comfort of the testees.
^Nice one dude!

Back to the original question, I agree with what other people said. One other thing to consider if if you're creating any formula sheets by hand, make sure to use a pen and not have any notes written in pencil (or if you don't want to recopy in pen, make a photocopy). Technically, the proctors wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you had written the sheets before the test or during the test.

It really makes no difference what the proctors and other examinees would appreciate. You are there to take and pass a test; all other social niceties are secondary.

Plus, defacation and urination are not expressly forbidden in the rules.

Back