Random Rules

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elarocque

Reaction score
i've made countless pencil-written notes in margins in my Lindeburg and LeGrega texts during my studying? is there a rule against bringing in reference material that has hand-written pencil notes?

i understand we are only allowed to write on test papers during the test, but my question is in regards to pencil-handwritten notes in margins in reference materials brought into the test

thank you

I have never had a problem. I have taken the test twice and getting ready for the third time. Many Many Many of my notes in my books are in both pen and pencil.

But it does depend on the state. Some states (thus the instructions given to the proctors) are very specific to not allow any notes in pencil. You should check with your state board (or do a search of this forum to see what people from your state have experienced) to verify.

I think I had a few pages here and there with pencil notes. If your state does allow them, make sure you put your pencil down during the exam before using your references. If the proctors see you pointing to something in a reference with your pencil, and you have notes written in the margin, they have no way of knowing if you were writing down questions. I know it seems silly, but after all this work, it would really suck to have them invalidate your test.

I got away with it in my state, but some states don't allow pencil-written notes in references, according to posts I've seen here.

You should check with your state Board now.

my state allows it, but FWIW, i've read that in states that don't allow pencil states you can highlight over the pencil notes to make them technically in ink.

my state allows it, but FWIW, i've read that in states that don't allow pencil states you can highlight over the pencil notes to make them technically in ink.
That seemed odd to me, so I did a little test. I wrote "TEST" with a pencil, then highlighted over it, then put some highlighter on blank paper, and wrote "TEST" over it with a pencil. The highlighter did prevent the first test from being erased, but you really couldn't tell that the second test had been written over the highlighter instead of vice versa. That is a curious rule.

taking it in Virginia...so called state board yesterday asking this pencil notes in references question; referred me to the exam vendor (PCS Professional Credential Services) - who referred me to the NCEES website (Virginia gives the NCEES exam)...the NCEES site under Candidate Agreement does not explicitly prohibit references having marked-up/handwritten notes, or anything to that effect...so i think i'm alright

will just be careful during the exam to only write on the test paper(s)

thanks everyone for the advice

taking it in Virginia...so called state board yesterday asking this pencil notes in references question; referred me to the exam vendor (PCS Professional Credential Services) - who referred me to the NCEES website (Virginia gives the NCEES exam)...the NCEES site under Candidate Agreement does not explicitly prohibit references having marked-up/handwritten notes, or anything to that effect...so i think i'm alright
will just be careful during the exam to only write on the test paper(s)

thanks everyone for the advice
I took it in Virginia in April 09 and had no problems. I had written in pencil in almost every book I brought (partly because I hoped to resell a few books). You should be fine as long as you don't write in your references during the exam.

Xeroxing pencil written notes in advance of the test would also work I'd imagine. I had plenty of pencil written notes with me, but had to be very careful not to absent mindedly start doing calcs on one of my note sheets.

^The issue is pencil-written notes in the margins of your books. Some states don't allow that, or at least I;ve seen several folks on here report that.

Which I think is ridiculous - given that many references are your own textbooks from school, and that good studying habits (and good work habits) often include adding notes here and there in your references.

I had the same question about the pencil notes.

I am taking the test in Texas, which states it is not allowed. But I called the NCEES, and they said it is ok to have pencil notes.

I had the same question about the pencil notes.
I am taking the test in Texas, which states it is not allowed. But I called the NCEES, and they said it is ok to have pencil notes.
I'd be careful with that, and go with what the state board says. I think this situation is much like clean-up standards with the EPA. EPA has minimum standards, but municipalities can be more stringent. I say go by what the state board says. Better to be safe rather than sorry.

Back