Question for all you Civils out there

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anyone advising you to have an erosion and sediment control plan prepared and certified by a PE or CPESC. Chucktown's specs are useless if they don't call for that - you will find yourself shut down by the CODPH faster than you can say "silt fence" if you don't get your earthmoving permit first, and you cant' get it without the ESC plan and specs.

: :eek:ldman: :rtft:

That won't satisfy most permitting authorities. He'll need a certified plan and have it approved beforehand.

actually, with all those diapers you are running thru Mechguy, just take a few of them and sprinkle the filling in the crack. they will absorb any available mosture and expand to fill any void there.

and keep your disturbance under an acre and you can avoid the stormwater permit from CDHPE.

unless you are in texas, then cdhpe won't bother you there either.

Sounds like you guys have all this geotech stuff figured out. I'll go back to making inane comments and posting photos.

That looks like the right stuff. I would also suggest a sealant for the grout after it cures.
When installing the grout, I would recommend using high-pressure air to clean out the groove as best as you can (especially each face of exisiting concrete). Then moisten both faces of the crack. The moisture will help remove any additional dust and will help the grout to adhere to the existing concrete as well as helping the grout cure properly.
^^All very good advice.

actually, with all those diapers you are running thru Mechguy, just take a few of them and sprinkle the filling in the crack. they will absorb any available mosture and expand to fill any void there.
This is the best suggestion yet! I may have to rethink my strategy....

unless you are in texas, then cdhpe won't bother you there either.
Mechguy IS in texas....

Sounds like you need a transportation engineers opinion...I recommend a longitudinal dowel retrofit with polymer coated rebar. a new pcc surface course and obviously high grade silicone filler material...this solution also works well with mudjacking...The real cost question then becomes if you want to use 3000 psi or 5000 psi concrete...obviously due to liability concerns and unknown traffic counts I naturally have to recommend the 5K concrete.

When did this become a 'pile on the geotechs' thread? Nice to know our work is as well respected in the engineering community as in the rest of the world.

We're not piling on anything. The latest geotech report didn't have any piles in it... :D

I'm just getting tired of my work getting shat on, or being viewed as easy or 'just a checkmark on the form' that needs to be taken care of. Guess who they usually come after first when things go wrong?

Geotechs always recommend 5000 psi concrete...and oddly enough none of the geotechs brought up soil borings or mechanical stabilization so Im a little disappointed.

I'm just getting tired of my work getting shat on, or being viewed as easy or 'just a checkmark on the form' that needs to be taken care of. Guess who they usually come after first when things go wrong?
If it makes you feel any better FLBuff, I appreciate your inputs :) I'm probably still going to go with the cheapest, quickest option though LOL

Back