Putting P.E. after your name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen people who are working their PhD, put "PhD ABD" (All But Disertation) behind their name. You could put "PE ABN" (All But Number).

What do you consider the three parts? The way I count I see more like five, at least in my state:
1. Complete the required education (ABET engineering degree)

2. Pass FE

3. Gain the required work experience

4. Obtain references

5. Pass PE

Numbers 3 & 4 are related and could arguably be combined, but I list them separately because there are some people that have #3 without being able to get #4.
The three parts are Education, Experience, Examination... and certainly there are subparts that can be listed. "Experience" is pretty broad. But in the context of the application for a PE license, every state requires the three Es with some provisions for substituting more of one for lack in another.

I've seen people who are working their PhD, put "PhD ABD" (All But Disertation) behind their name. You could put "PE ABN" (All But Number).
A PhD ABD is all but useless. There is usually less coursework required for a PhD than there is for a Masters degree. If I had to assign arbitrary percentages to the work involved with a PhD, I'd say it's 10% coursework and 90% dissertation.

They should put PhD candidate as their title and not some bogus PhD ABD. I would say the dissertation is the hardest maybe next to the comprehensive exam if the university requires one.

I agree with Sraymond, it does depend on your state, but on the letter it does say now that you have met all requirements for licensure, blah blah, your technically not licensed in your state, unti your board approves it when they meet and you send back whatever forms and fees to the state board, at least that is how it is in my state, then your added to the database as an 'active' professional engineer.

In Texas they give you a License number as soon as they inform you that you've passed the exam. so I put PE after my name the day I found out, updated my resume, and ordered business cards that just came in!

A PhD ABD is all but useless. There is usually less coursework required for a PhD than there is for a Masters degree. If I had to assign arbitrary percentages to the work involved with a PhD, I'd say it's 10% coursework and 90% dissertation.
When I saw the PhD ABD, I did a double take with a WTF, and had to google it. Anybody that would use PhD ABD would automatically lose creditability with me. I'm not big on the alphabet soup behind the name to begin with.

When I saw the PhD ABD, I did a double take with a WTF, and had to google it. Anybody that would use PhD ABD would automatically lose creditability with me. I'm not big on the alphabet soup behind the name to begin with.
Just to let you know before you pass judgment the when a PhD student reaches the ABD stage it means they have completed all of their course work. It also means that they are now qualified to apply to most teaching positions at major universities, so it is a big deal for the PhD students to get to the ABD stage. They may lose credibility with you but the gain the credibility where is counts; with the people that that will be hiring them. Not all alphabet soup is meaningless, its just meaningless to those who are unaffected by it.

Just a word of advice, if you just passed the PE, don't send out emails to everyone you know with your "updated contact information" unless your contact information has actually changed. I got an email this morning from someone who must have just passed the test and decided to let everyone know by sending out an email saying their contact info had changed. Of course the only thing that had changed was they now had PE behind their name. It was a bit annoying going through and trying to figure out if they really did have a new phone number, mailing address, email, etc.

Just to let you know before you pass judgment the when a PhD student reaches the ABD stage it means they have completed all of their course work. It also means that they are now qualified to apply to most teaching positions at major universities, so it is a big deal for the PhD students to get to the ABD stage. They may lose credibility with you but the gain the credibility where is counts; with the people that that will be hiring them. Not all alphabet soup is meaningless, its just meaningless to those who are unaffected by it.
And before you go jumping down my throat, I'd like to point out that my dad is not only a PhD, but he is also the dean of an engineering school...so I know these things.

And before you go jumping down my throat, I'd like to point out that my dad is not only a PhD, but he is also the dean of an engineering school...so I know these things.
Didn't seem like "jumping down your throat" to me... you said it was "all but useless" and ccampttu explained why he thought it was useful. Still, I think the issue here is one of "titles" which has nothing to do with qualification.

Didn't seem like "jumping down your throat" to me... you said it was "all but useless" and ccampttu explained why he thought it was useful. Still, I think the issue here is one of "titles" which has nothing to do with qualification.
That was preemptive...hence the "before" that you left off my quote.

That was preemptive...hence the "before" that you left off my quote.
See... that's my mistake. I gave you too much credit in thinking you'd believe in the best in people and not just assume people are going to want to jump down your throat (which, by the way, if this is a fetish of yours, you might appreciate other subfora).

Normally, I'd take the "before you..." to mean "you should have ... before you..." Anyway, I apologize for misquoting you and I'll try always assume you think people are going to jump down your throat after every post.

You can apply as an instructor with a Masters, which is essentially what you have with this PhD ADB. Just list yourself as PhD Candidate to avoid confusion rather than trying to sell your self as a PhD. My university will NOT consider you for a tenure track position unless you have your full PhD. The coursework is the easiest part of your doctorate, without the dissertation, you're just a guy that took a bunch of classes. Not trying to be negative here but realistic about the real world.

I'm loving all the "mine is bigger than yours" talk in this thread. :p

:popcorn:

See... that's my mistake. I gave you too much credit in thinking you'd believe in the best in people and not just assume people are going to want to jump down your throat (which, by the way, if this is a fetish of yours, you might appreciate other subfora).
Normally, I'd take the "before you..." to mean "you should have ... before you..." Anyway, I apologize for misquoting you and I'll try always assume you think people are going to jump down your throat after every post.
With the stuff I usually post about (politics, religion, financial policy), it is extremely common for me to get yelled at...so I usually try to anticipate arguments and quash them before they start.

With the stuff I usually post about (politics, religion, financial policy), it is extremely common for me to get yelled at...so I usually try to anticipate arguments and quash them before they start.
Can't we just all get along? Obama's promising change... maybe it can work here, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't we just all get along? Obama's promising change... maybe it was work here, too!
That South Park episode was on again last night. All the Obama supports were drunk and partying, and all the McCain supporters were committing suicide. It didn't really matter to me. I'm so jaded to the American political machine that I viewed the election as a choice between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

Speaking of ridiculous titles. About a year and a half ago my company transferred this douche bag technician down to my office in ATL from Cincinatti. After he showed his ass he was fired within two weeks. Turns out he's working down here in Chucktown now for a competitor. The guy doesn't have a single degree (2 year or 4 year) and he is signing stuff as:

Senior Principal Technical Designer

Regional CAD Manager

I prefer to call him:

Douchebag Extraordinaire

Back