Public Service Announcement

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the idoits running out to buy gas are pissing me off too. It was all over the radio this morning, people talking about cancelling trips they had planned this weekend and whatnot.
Actually, thats kind of a good thing for me, maybe they'll be less people on the road when I drive the 200 miles to Clemson this afternoon.
My wife has already called me with the "are you sure we want to go to the game this weekend?" crap.

It's 6 or 7 games a year. It's not like I drag her every other weekend the whole year!

Anyway, GO DAWGS! BEAT AUBURN!

Son of a bitch!!! Looks like nobody around this town read my public service announcement. Prices jump 20 cents a gallon during the day yesterday, and every gas station I drove past on my way home from work yesterday was packed with people. I'm some stations had cars parked 3 and 4 deep waiting for pumps. Just my luck too, I need to buy gas. :\

Does anyone have instructions on how to siphon gas? My wifes car has nearly a full tank (but also has a flat tire). She drove my car yesterday and left the thing practically on empty. :(

I topped off yesterday our hybid Camry, which was just under half-tank. Color me an idiot, but the reason i did it was cuz i knew the price spikes were coming - wasn't so much panic at shortage or the lemming effect as it was trying to get that last fillup in before the stations do start to gouge. Folks you're calling dumb shits may simply be trying to save $$ like i was. Of course, that mentality does jack up the shortage perception & the eventual price increases too - whaddya do, it's an F'N hurricane, there's more shit to worry about than gas availability & pricing.

^^

your a dumb shit and people like you who top of their tank are the reason the price spikes

Does anyone have instructions on how to siphon gas? My wifes car has nearly a full tank (but also has a flat tire). She drove my car yesterday and left the thing practically on empty. :(
...your wife's car...sure.

Does anyone have instructions on how to siphon gas?
1. Stick a hose down the filling tube into the tank

2. Have someone with a camera nearby to take pictures of step 3

3. Suck on the hose as hard as you can

4. Post the pictures in the Funny Pictures thread

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

1. Stick a hose down the filling tube into the tank2. Have someone with a camera nearby to take pictures of step 3

3. Suck on the hose as hard as you can

4. Post the pictures in the Funny Pictures thread

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Yum, I love the taste of petroleum in the morning.

But seriously, this whole gas thing is a PITA. I am going to my dad's (about 3 hours away) today because it is the last weekend he'll be in MI before heading to AZ for the winter. The governor is trying to calm eveyone down. I just hope I don't have to wait in line for a long time to get gas.

Here is a scene from a local gas station yesterday, published in today's paper:

large_WEB-DW_GasRumors1.jpg

But seriously, this whole gas thing is a PITA. I am going to my dad's (about 3 hours away) today because it is the last weekend he'll be in MI before heading to AZ for the winter. The governor is trying to calm eveyone down. I just hope I don't have to wait in line for a long time to get gas.
Here is a scene from a local gas station yesterday, published in today's paper:

large_WEB-DW_GasRumors1.jpg
Sweet merciful crap!! What the hell is this women thinking! She needs to have her head examined. I mean c'mon, look at those shoes. They're hideous.

HA HA!

But seriously, shouldn't this set off some kind of terrorist alert under Homeland Security? She looks like a bomber to me.

Sweet merciful crap!! What the hell is this women thinking! She needs to have her head examined. I mean c'mon, look at those shoes. They're hideous.
^^^ Geez, What!

People around here are stupid. Due to the hurricane that is about to hit Houston many refineries have shut down. This causes gas prices to rise. Dumb people see this and think that there is going to be a gas shortage. So they run out to gas stations and top of their tanks and fill up any container they can with gas. This causes the gas stations to each one by one to run out of gas which drives down the supplies while peaking the demand. The result is the station start charging more. The combination of stations A) running out of gas and B ) charging $5+ a gallon drives the idiot masses into more of a panic.
It happened here during hurricane Rita. People freaked out b/c the refineries in Houston were being shut down and gas prices started going up. People saw this and by word of mouth or email the rumor spread that their was going to be a gas shortage. So everyone at once ran out to buy gas, which low and behold created a gas shortage.

The same stupid rumors have started floating around the office. I am frustrated with their stupidity.
Thank you Roadwreck, and welcome to my world! (Once is plenty, try dealing with this madness more than once a year) Down here we see it all the time during storms, sadly the majority are people that move down here from the upper states. You would think they would understand after the first few exposures. --- I live near the water and our 'home hurricane plan' works just fine, of course I do this as part of my job so maybe you need to be an engineer to understand storm prep.

I need to remind myself to buy a bunch of those 5 gallon gas cans this winter and save them for hurricane season, I was at home depot today and they were out (& folks were very panicy)

Heck I could "gouge" them on the street for at least $30/EA!

I was on a 1/4 tank and went to the dump this AM (early for a saturday) and filled up on the way, I went in to get a moutain dew slushi (very addictive) and the clerk said they were fixing to cut the pumps off, several other stations were already out of gas....

^^your a dumb shit and people like you who top of their tank are the reason the price spikes
Hmm, blatant name calling; thanks for that dude <_< -

Know this, the mere likelihood of a hurricane coming ashore is enough to send the speculators driving the prices up - Knowing the prices are gonna spike, yeah, i'm gonna make sure my vehicles get gas if I'm close to needing a fillup (<half tank). I'm not stockpiling, or panickedly filling up containers, just would rather save a couple bucks before the inevitable happens. Why would i choose to wait until gas has shot up so much? So i can stand on a moral soapbox like a complaining chump about how everybody else is responsible for a perceived wrong to me and my little code of acceptable societal behaviors?

Just to put this in perspective, if the price of gas jumps $0.50/gal, a fifteen gallon purchase is going to be more expensive by $7.50. Is $7.50 really worth that much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

^ no joke...like those stupid 3 cents off per gallon cards. I use mine, but always do the math to see that I saved my 38 cents. Doesn't seem nearly as spectacular as you would think.

Just to put this in perspective, if the price of gas jumps $0.50/gal, a fifteen gallon purchase is going to be more expensive by $7.50. Is $7.50 really worth that much wailing and gnashing of teeth?
yes

^^If $7.50 gets you wound up, just wait 'til you have kids. You'll need sedatives. :Locolaugh:

Might I point out that if this is from the actual local paper from somewhere in Michigan, how much more insane it is? I can understand if you're going to need to run a generator for a few days because power will be out because of a fricking HURRICANE but I don't get these people. I stand by my terrorist assumption...she's not stockpiling...she's about to go burn down a church or something.

Back