Public Service Announcement

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen any flaming church wreckage around town, but I'll let you know if I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I had to fill up twice today. Paid $4.099/gallon on the way out and $4.259 on the way back. Sixteen cent jump in approximately 12 hours (though not at the same station).

Hmm, blatant name calling; thanks for that dude <_< -
Know this, the mere likelihood of a hurricane coming ashore is enough to send the speculators driving the prices up - Knowing the prices are gonna spike, yeah, i'm gonna make sure my vehicles get gas if I'm close to needing a fillup (<half tank). I'm not stockpiling, or panickedly filling up containers, just would rather save a couple bucks before the inevitable happens. Why would i choose to wait until gas has shot up so much? So i can stand on a moral soapbox like a complaining chump about how everybody else is responsible for a perceived wrong to me and my little code of acceptable societal behaviors?
In you first post you did say you "topped off your tank". Maybe we're talking about semantics here but if you're below half a tank, I don't think anyone is going to fuss about you filling up. I think Roadwreck's talking about the people who get to 3/4 of a tank and then fill up. I rarely let my tank get to 1/4, because I have elderly parents who live 1000 miles away and I'm trying to be prepare when I get "the call" and have to head out in a hurry.

I did see a quote in the paper this morning that was a "shake your head" type of quote. Some guy had gone to 3 or 4 stations trying to find cheap gas and said, "That storm is in Texas. Why are gas prices higher here?" I don't know genius, let's see. Probably 75% of the nation's gascomes from the gulf's refineries and they're all shut down. How about that? Idiot.....

According to the Associated Press, 20% of the nation's refinery capacity has been shut down by the storm. A list of U.S. refinieries and their capacities is available here. I imagine a good portion of the gas for my area comes from the refineries in Detroit and Toledo. Call me an idiot, but I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask. In fact I hope someone in power is asking, just to be sure things are on the up-and-up.

I'd probably get better mileage if I didn't like hearing that turbo spool up so much. :D

are your tires properly inflated?
that should be enough.
^^ AWESOME!!!

Actually, yesterday, I had to get gas, and it was $3.85 and I bought 18 gallons worth, when I turned my pump off, it jumped up to $4.05. I went in and asked Anita (the manager) what happened, and she said she turned it up while I was pumping. So if I would have been 2 minutes later, I'd have paid another $3.60.

I bought both kids slushees with the savings :D

In you first post you did say you "topped off your tank". Maybe we're talking about semantics here but if you're below half a tank, I don't think anyone is going to fuss about you filling up. I think Roadwreck's talking about the people who get to 3/4 of a tank and then fill up. I rarely let my tank get to 1/4, because I have elderly parents who live 1000 miles away and I'm trying to be prepare when I get "the call" and have to head out in a hurry.
I did see a quote in the paper this morning that was a "shake your head" type of quote. Some guy had gone to 3 or 4 stations trying to find cheap gas and said, "That storm is in Texas. Why are gas prices higher here?" I don't know genius, let's see. Probably 75% of the nation's gascomes from the gulf's refineries and they're all shut down. How about that? Idiot.....
Yeah, my post was pretty confusing in that i said "I topped off my Camry, which was just under half-tank."

Gas was in the $3.70's Friday morning. Driving home Friday nite, it had already gone up to $3.92 (the dreaded spike was already occurring, imagine that). The Camry took about 11 gallons out of a 16 gallon tank, so yes under half a tank, but before i would of normally been worried about filling up. By fueling up Friday instead of later in the weekend I saved $3.00 from what i would of paid yesterday, at $4.19. Not much to crow about, but I'll save a couple bucks buying low when there's an obvious & easy opportunity to do so. Pretty stupid, huh? :deadhorse:

Yeah, my post was pretty confusing in that i said "I topped off my Camry, which was just under half-tank."
Gas was in the $3.70's Friday morning. Driving home Friday nite, it had already gone up to $3.92 (the dreaded spike was already occurring, imagine that). The Camry took about 11 gallons out of a 16 gallon tank, so yes under half a tank, but before i would of normally been worried about filling up. By fueling up Friday instead of later in the weekend I saved $3.00 from what i would of paid yesterday, at $4.19. Not much to crow about, but I'll save a couple bucks buying low when there's an obvious & easy opportunity to do so. Pretty stupid, huh? :deadhorse:
I swear it didn't say that when I read it! I must have saw "topped off" and ignored the rest because I wouldn't consider under half a tank "topping off". Sorry. Wasn't trying to pile on. At least this time...... :rolleyes:

When I left Knoxville friday, gas was ~ 3.50. When I got back Sunday, it was 4.50. :brickwall:
Don't worry, it'll drop again. Oil prices have been declining steadily, the reason for the jump was the decline in refining thanks to Ike and a spike in demand thanks to people hording gas.

http://www.oil-price.net/

it's back under $100 a barrel :woot:

What annoys me more then the $7.50 extra I have to pay to fill up my tank is that it was difficult to even get into a gas station over the weekend. B/c people got into a panic and everyone ran out to top of their tanks their were lines around the block for several gas stations I passed on my way home on Friday. Now the problem is that since there was a run on gas over the weekend gas stations are now out of gas.

My solution to save on gas, instead of running out and topping of my tank to get the 'cheap gas', I just didn't drive anywhere this weekend. If I needed to go anywhere I either walked or rode my bike. Problem solved.

The plan to use high gas prices as an excuse not to mow the yard worked flawlessly.

The plan to use high gas prices as an excuse not to mow the yard worked flawlessly.
I thought you were combating global climate change by forgoing the use of your carbon dioxide spewing gas powered lawn mower and promoting the strong growth of oxygen producing flora in your yard. ;)

My solution to save on gas, instead of running out and topping of my tank to get the 'cheap gas', I just didn't drive anywhere this weekend. If I needed to go anywhere I either walked or rode my bike. Problem solved.
Whoa whoa whoa...let's not be rational here.

Our gas barely changed here at all.

"Average prices exceeded $4 per gallon in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, South Carolina, Hawaii and Alaska, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express."

I thought you were combating global climate change by forgoing the use of your carbon dioxide spewing gas powered lawn mower and promoting the strong growth of oxygen producing flora in your yard. ;)
That was my excuse before the gas prices went up.

csb, would you believe gas in Sumter SC was 5.23 Thursday night? I'm glad I don't commute to there anymore. I came close to running out of fuel when Katrina hit back in '05. Made it back to Columbia on fumes.

Holy crap! Milk and gas are running roughly the same here...about $3.45 a gallon.

Jack Daniels' Old #7 is on sale for about $63/gal. You can get PBR for roughly $4.88 a gallon. I better stock up while it's cheap...

Holy crap! Milk and gas are running roughly the same here...about $3.45 a gallon.
Lucky you, Milk here is $3.39 a gallon, gas is over $4. Is there anyway to make my car run on milk?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The sky is falling. Lehman Brothers is liquidating their assets and is declaring bankruptcy. AIG may be going belly up and Bank of America purchased Merill Lynch for pennies on the dollar. Ike destroyed 20% of America’s refining capacity and we may not have gas to get to work next week. The Dow Jones has plummeted 300 points today and the next Great Depression is going to be here by this time next week. This may be the end of the world as we know it. This is all George Bush’s fault. I think I am going to go into hiding and stay there until the nuclear holocaust is over.

The above paragraph was a dramatization based on what I have heard around the office and heard from my in-laws over the past 24 hours. I don’t actually believe this hogwash but I though I would point out how ridiculous this all sounds if you are an intelligent person listening to the news.

Back