Prospects if you pass

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Reaction score
I am currently out of work. I was wondering what the board members thought of the job prospects out there if you now apply for jobs with a significant amount of experience and now a P.E. after your name. Do you chances improve or stay the same. By the way, I am a Highway Engineer.

I am currently out of work. I was wondering what the board members thought of the job prospects out there if you now apply for jobs with a significant amount of experience and now a P.E. after your name. Do you chances improve or stay the same. By the way, I am a Highway Engineer.
I'm an electrical engineer (and I'm not really looking) so you wouldn't think it would help much, but just adding it to my Monster.com resume got me some more inquiries. And I would think it would help more for a civil. It opens up another group of positions that weren't available before.

Not saying it's a silver bullet or anything.

I'm an electrical engineer (and I'm not really looking) so you wouldn't think it would help much, but just adding it to my Monster.com resume got me some more inquiries. And I would think it would help more for a civil. It opens up another group of positions that weren't available before.
Not saying it's a silver bullet or anything.
As long as it results in more enquiries and newer opportunities, I'll go with it. I just need some bites now. I can talk my way into a job, I just need to get in front of someone.

I know this doesn't help you, but my husband and I were both out of work for 6 months together back in the 80's. We survived. I hope that you can find something quickly. There is a job thread here, but it doesn't get much traffic. Have you taken PE exam, or just thinking about it?

I know this doesn't help you, but my husband and I were both out of work for 6 months together back in the 80's. We survived. I hope that you can find something quickly. There is a job thread here, but it doesn't get much traffic. Have you taken PE exam, or just thinking about it?
I took it back in October and just waiting on the results

TxDoT

Requisition #: 013262

Title: E429 / Deputy District Engineer II

Office (City): HoustonDistrict (Houston)

Salary: $8,670.66 - $13,007.50 (M)

Closing Date: 12/19/2008

Description:Assists in management and engineering oversight of all activities, of a geographically specific metropolitan area in Texas (district), including transportation planning, operations, right-of-way acquisition, engineering design, construction, inspection and maintenance of highways and bridges, environmental functions, general aviation airports, public transit systems, state park roads and other state agency facilities, and associated administrative and support activities. Reports to the District Engineer. Exercises professional and independent judgment in overseeing district programs. Work requires extensive contact with business and community leaders; contractors; special interest or trade groups; governmental and transportation officials at the local, state, federal or international levels; the media and private entities. Employees at this level establish their own work plan and priorities to meet set objectives. Issues are rarely referred to the supervisor but are handled at the occurrence.

Don't depend on the government and don't depend on Obama. If you do, you'll be disappointed big time. Your best bet is to be willing to relocate. Look for cities/states that are actually growing and seek out private firms. Forget Monster and careerbuilder, make real life contacts.

I think having a PE will help, but being at the right place at the right time is far better.

Ken - HNTB has an Atlanta office and some open positions - one for a Project Manager I for civil design projects. You can check them out at www.HNTB.com, and also search for other opportunities throughout the county.

Good Luck. And, as some have pointed out - being in Civil/Transportation a PE can be an advantage as most public sector clients require a PE to be a project manager...and you can seal bid sets!

Does not look anything will change for me, will continue to be a Project Manager. We have a hiring freeze here with NYC and I am just happy to have a job. Would be nice to be able to do side work on my own, sons are in college.

yep side work would be nice right now for me too. Took a pay cut this last year with the economy in the toilet. It would be nice to make some extra coin on the side

Back