Programming Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam314159

CMON PE!
Reaction score
I worked in an IT department as a client/server developer for 2 years following my graduation with an Electrical and Computer Engineering Degree.

Some of the experience gained was:

1. Design new software systems.

2. Document and train users on existing systems.

3. Write code to implement other engineers' design.

4. Test new software systems.

5. Review and modify other programmer designs before implementation.

Do those 2 years count towards the 4 I need to qualify to take the PE exam? I am taking the Power Engineering Exam in Alabama.

Has anyone had a chance to consider the question I posted above? I went through the Alabama Administrative code to see how they define qualifying experience and I still have a concern with the following:

Engineering experience leading to licensure as a licensed professional engineer should be directed toward the identification and solution of practical problems in the applicant’s area of engineering specialization. This experience should include engineering analysis of existing systems or structures or the design of new systems or structures and under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer.
My software experience was progressive and direct toward the identification and solution of practical problems. I am concerned with the statement "applicant's area of engineering specialization". If I am taking the Electrical Engineering: Power PE exam can I count my software engineering experience?

My undergraduate degree was in Electrical and Computer Engineering so I came out of college with a decent foundation in software and power engineering and I also tried both as careers but I'm sticking with Power now.

Not much of a response I know but in the end, the state board will make the call as to whether the experience counts. You may want to post this over in the electrical section as there have been some similar discussions there. Since you are licensed as an electrical engineer, and not as an electrical power engineer, and there are areas within power such as PLC/SCADA etc. where your programming experience would directly apply, it would seem to me you have a decent case.

Since the state board is the deciding authority on this, really...I would suggest you just put your application in, and let them tell you if it's not good enough.

I believe they would count if you presented it in a technical manner.

The way my boss explained it to me, the "experience report" is really to show that you are growing in your engineering field, and that you weren't spending part of those 4 years flipping burgers or selling shoes. If you're using words like designed, wrote, tested, trained - I think it would count. However, I am not a 'board', so that's just my $.02...

How does this apply? Well, I'm a SCADA engineer (that's my job), and part of my job is building web pages for my SCADA users to view load and status data (extract data from database, display on web page, etc). It's also developing nifty little programs and reports to add value to the system. So yes, there can be a lot of programming in the power side.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way my boss explained it to me, the "experience report" is really to show that you are growing in your engineering field, and that you weren't spending part of those 4 years flipping burgers or selling shoes. If you're using words like designed, wrote, tested, trained - I think it would count. However, I am not a 'board', so that's just my $.02...

How does this apply? Well, I'm a SCADA engineer (that's my job), and part of my job is building web pages for my SCADA users to view load and status data (extract data from database, display on web page, etc). It's also developing nifty little programs and reports to add value to the system. So yes, there can be a lot of programming in the power side.
Perfect. Thanks guys. I will make sure to word my experience properly since it really was progressive engineering experience.

Perfect. Thanks guys. I will make sure to word my experience properly since it really was progressive engineering experience.
I took the Computer PE last year and sort of had the same experience as you. I graduated with a CompE degree and worked for an Electric Utility for 5 years. My major roles were programming and SCADA work all of which related to power distribution. I had no problems in getting accepted to take the exam. Like the others said if you show that your work is related to engineering you should be fine. Another key was my boss was a PE and he was my direct supervisor for those 4 years. Getting those 3 PE references seems to be a big deal for the board to approve your application.

Best of luck.

Back