PPI SE Exam Review Course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my code masters masonry pamphlet.  I don't have any of the others, but the masonry one I use all the time in practice.  Super simple, but useful.

I love my code masters masonry pamphlet.  I don't have any of the others, but the masonry one I use all the time in practice.  Super simple, but useful.
I'm just trying to decide if i should wait it out and buy the 2015 versions or if i should purchase the 2012 now. seems like they would be handy for everyday use and for SE resources.

I'm just trying to decide if i should wait it out and buy the 2015 versions or if i should purchase the 2012 now. seems like they would be handy for everyday use and for SE resources.
I'd purchase the 2012 version if you're taking the April SE exam, no reason to wait as the code required for the SE exam isn't changing until at least the October exam. At $15 or so the cost of updating the pamphlet isn't that big and it's definitely critical to have the correct version of the masonry codes as they changed a fair amount.

I'd purchase the 2012 version if you're taking the April SE exam, no reason to wait as the code required for the SE exam isn't changing until at least the October exam. At $15 or so the cost of updating the pamphlet isn't that big and it's definitely critical to have the correct version of the masonry codes as they changed a fair amount.
I'm not testing in April. Just trying to spread the cost of review materials out a bit. October will be the earliest. 

I'm not testing in April. Just trying to spread the cost of review materials out a bit. October will be the earliest. 
Then I'd wait on buying it; you should be studying with the MSJC for the most part. When we know what the exam specification will be (2015 or 2012 IBC and associated MSJC) you can decide then. So, see if the code changes and then get the 2013 MSJC for studying and if they don't have it by then I'd still wait until SK Gosh publishes the 2013 pamphlet or take the exam without the pamphlet.

This link worked when you first posted it, but doesn't work anymore. Did they cancel the option to only do vertical forces? Thanks for your help!
Yes, we usually only have a handful of people enroll in vertical only but this year we had none so PPI canceled the course for this exam period. If you're interested I can ask if they can re-instate it.

Also, I missed the early-bird promo code as I was waiting for my results. Is there any way that I can use it, or any other promo codes that I can use to lower my registration costs?
PPI told me they're not doing promo codes this year so unfortunately I wont have any to hand out. :( I guess early-bird promo was it.

Yes, we usually only have a handful of people enroll in vertical only but this year we had none so PPI canceled the course for this exam period. If you're interested I can ask if they can re-instate it.

PPI told me they're not doing promo codes this year so unfortunately I wont have any to hand out. :( I guess early-bird promo was it.
Yes, I'd like to take it, so if you could ask that would be great!

The PPI course looks good but very cost prohibitive for myself.
Really? I'd say it's actually got the most "bang-for-buck" of the review courses out there. Unless you mean that all the review courses are a little pricey?

• PPI Vertical + Lateral: $1,800

$2,289 if you don't have the texts.

[*]School of PE: $2,580 for both the Vertical & Lateral ($1,290 ea.)

• Note that this course wants you to have the SERM but doesn't include it in the cost; so another $166 if you don't already have it.

[*]EET: $2,200 for both the Vertical & Lateral ($1,100 ea.)

• No idea what you get for texts with this one.

There's a few other courses out there but they're all about the same price range last I checked. Does Kaplan still offer their SE course? I couldn't find it online anymore.

So, PPI can be the cheapest if you don't have the texts; and even with the texts it's still very competitive and you get a bunch of highly recommended texts for the SE exam at a significant discount. Obviously I'm biased here but I've always felt that the price of the course was one of the biggest selling points of the PPI course over the others.

Really? I'd say it's actually got the most "bang-for-buck" of the review courses out there. Unless you mean that all the review courses are a little pricey?

• PPI Vertical + Lateral: $1,800

$2,289 if you don't have the texts.

[*]School of PE: $2,580 for both the Vertical & Lateral ($1,290 ea.)

• Note that this course wants you to have the SERM but doesn't include it in the cost; so another $166 if you don't already have it.

[*]EET: $2,200 for both the Vertical & Lateral ($1,100 ea.)

• No idea what you get for texts with this one.

There's a few other courses out there but they're all about the same price range last I checked. Does Kaplan still offer their SE course? I couldn't find it online anymore.

So, PPI can be the cheapest if you don't have the texts; and even with the texts it's still very competitive and you get a bunch of highly recommended texts for the SE exam at a significant discount. Obviously I'm biased here but I've always felt that the price of the course was one of the biggest selling points of the PPI course over the others.
That does seem like a good price comparatively if the content/results are the same of course.  

I mean it's too much for me personally.  I'm not getting any help with covering the cost of the exam (refunded when I pass) or materials and we're a single income family with 5 kids.  I would love to take one just to get more guidance on what material I need to learn.  The codes are so expansive and I don't have all that much time to study.

That does seem like a good price comparatively if the content/results are the same of course.  

I mean it's too much for me personally.  I'm not getting any help with covering the cost of the exam (refunded when I pass) or materials and we're a single income family with 5 kids.  I would love to take one just to get more guidance on what material I need to learn.  The codes are so expansive and I don't have all that much time to study.
Not that I have any experience with studying for and passing this exam yet, but if you're looking at cost, a lot of my coworkers recommended the Structural engineers association review course that had live in person lectures 2x a week, which ended up costing about 300-400. this is probably only available if you live in a metropolitan area, and the one here starts next month. They passed with the SEAW review course and self study. I think they both had to take one component a second time. 

I mean it's too much for me personally.
Ah, understood. Well, I had a similar situation and took it with only self-study. I feel I would have done much better with a review course but I can see how if cost is more critical than time how not using a review course makes sense.

Not that I have any experience with studying for and passing this exam yet, but if you're looking at cost, a lot of my coworkers recommended the Structural engineers association review course that had live in person lectures 2x a week, which ended up costing about 300-400. this is probably only available if you live in a metropolitan area, and the one here starts next month. They passed with the SEAW review course and self study. I think they both had to take one component a second time. 
Yeah, that's a good point. See if any local groups offer something like this. They can occasionally be cheaper and with a reduced scope for a full review course but may strike the balance you need between cost and use. That said, I still think that given the volume of material in the SE exam a full review course is better than a smaller one (assuming you could afford either).

Latest posts

Back