PPI sample exam killed me!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much time have you spent on Economics? That is one area, I really haven't spent any time. I was going to do that this week. Does anybody know in the past how many economics problems they had on the exam?
The ChE test only had like one or two economic questions both qualitative. I don't think any of the exams have a heavy emphasis on the econ anymore.

ME Nebraska

I haven't put any time into Economics. I'm still debating whether it is even worth it, considering all the other subjects on the exam that I am still reviewing for. I have worked a few on the sample exams that seem like they can be worked without any specific "economic" knowledge. The MERM chapter on econ. is rather lengthy. I will likely decide to skip econ. all together and then just hope that the 2-3 problems that appear are simple enough to solve without any specific knowledge.

Does anybody have an opinion on the difficulty of the economics problems that have appeared in the past?

Good luck to everybody next week. (I can't believe the test is already next week!)

Thanks

The ChE test only had like one or two economic questions both qualitative. I don't think any of the exams have a heavy emphasis on the econ anymore.
Agree. Each time (3 times) I took the ChE test, there were only one or two economic questions. For the ChE economics portion, I'd recommend a plant design book. The ChE Reference Manual (ChERM -- from the other site) was little to no use for the economics portion. My plant design book had useful economics topics, that the ChERM did not have. I wish I had taken my plant design book my first two times. I did take it for my third time and it came in very handy.

I made the mistake of spending several days working through the whole Economics chapter. You only need to concentrate on the most basic enginering econ subjects, basically just finding present values and future values, etc. There will likely be a handful or less of economic problems, or at least, engineering problems with economic aspects to them. But I would highly doubt you would ever find an economics problem requiring any skills beyond those basics, based on what everyone here has ever said. Just stick to the basics and be prepared to use the econ tables at the back of your MERM/CERM.

Practice exams should be just a little more difficult and comprehensive than the real thing.
I'm taking the full 8 hour practice exam next friday, April 11th. I'll let you all know if it's anything like the real exam I'll be taking in October!

:brickwall:

Back