Power P.E. Salary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of big consulting firms out there which are always hiring. They usually have a hiring & layoff season. ;)  
Mine doesn't *shrugs* Never seen a layoff in the 8.5 years I've been here. 

Mine doesn't *shrugs* Never seen a layoff in the 8.5 years I've been here. 
I've never seen a layoff in the close to 15 years I've been working in the MEP industry.  My supervisor in NC joked (during the '08-09' crisis), "We were too busy to participate in the recession."

I've seen people lose their jobs twice.  Once because the company went out of business (bankrupt because they took on some huge projects, bigger than they should have, and didn't get paid), and second because the guy simply refused to get his act together and simply do what he was asked.  He didn't even get fired (not yet).  He was asked to find another place to work and finally left before he got fired.

I've witnessed terrible designers stay at the same job for years.

That's unreal.  I make $70K and I have 15 years experience in the MEP field.
$70k after 15 years? All of those as an engineer?

I'd say you're significantly underpaid.  I'm at an industrial consulting firm in Omaha, so probably similar cost of living and somewhat similar industry.  I'm 4.5 years in and making $79.5k.  I just passed the PE which leads to an automatic promotion with 10-15% raise at my company, so I should be in the $87-90k range in the next couple weeks. 

$70k after 15 years? All of those as an engineer?

I'd say you're significantly underpaid.  I'm at an industrial consulting firm in Omaha, so probably similar cost of living and somewhat similar industry.  I'm 4.5 years in and making $79.5k.  I just passed the PE which leads to an automatic promotion with 10-15% raise at my company, so I should be in the $87-90k range in the next couple weeks. 
Congratulations on passing the PE exam! Yes, I've been in the MEP field since 2004.  Most of those years have been with the same company.

Back