post your You Tubes here

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the full title of the post:

CNN Inexplicably Airs Dumb And Dumber Diarrhea Scene

They air the part of dumb and dumber when Jeff Daniels has diarrhea during a clip on the protest in london.

if you cant get youtube at work this is one worth watching when you get home

Last edited by a moderator:

See the talk given by William A. Wulf, Past President, National Academy of Engineering on the subject "Engineering Education in the 21st Century"

Listen carefully to what he says at 4:35 -- "The practice of engineering has changed enormously from what it was 40 years ago. Engineering education hasn't changed very much at all." Shocked or surprised? Then go on to about 9:20 when he says that according to the U.S. government, engineering is not a profession. The definition of profession according to the Department of Commerce is 2 years beyond the baccalaureate, meaning a Master's degree.

Universities these days are out of touch with the realities of the job market and what is expected. A BS degree now is inadequate preparation for an engineering career just as a Bachelor's degree in English or History or Economics won't get a person very far compared to a Grade 12 graduate. Just ask an engineering dean or administrator if students graduate from their university with a good background in Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, AutoCad, or anything of a practical nature. They will look at you like you're from another planet. You can be assured that if it's practical or useful, you won't find it in a university curriculum.

with a good background in Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, AutoCad, or anything of a practical nature.
Frankly, nobody has ever graduated from an engineering undergrad program with a "good background" in anything. I repeat - ever. That's what work experience is for. Hence the term "entry level."

As far as lean manufacturing, autocad, and six sgima - these are things any self respecting engineer with half a brain should be able to teach themselves. I'm glad they didn't waste my time on such nonsense while I was in school. You won't really learn these things anyway until you are working, applying them to real life situations.

I taught myself autocad (at least enough to do some electrical drafting work) over a summer as an engineering intern at Hughes Aircraft. I learned it out of a book , asking draftsmen questions, and fooling around. Most everyone I knew in EE school taught themselves autocad or orcad or some other free software to draw up schematics.

I learned six sigma concepts, lean manufacturing, and jit on the job in the semiconductor capital equipment business. THere's some benefit to statistical process control and inventory analysis, but it isn't rocket science.

We covered some of this in business school, but the only engineers who should be learning these things at school are industrial or manufacturing engineers, IMO.

To expand on/support what Benbo said, if you want to learn skills (AutoCAD, Six Sigma, etc.), go to a trade school (ITT Tech, Ivy Tech, etc.). If you want to become an engineer, get an ABET accredited engineering degree, then WORK as an engineer for a few years. There is a reason that those are pre-requisites for sitting for the PE exam. Both of them are required to be able to perform actual engineering work. Knowing how to use software packages or implement strategies are just tools that allow us to to our jobs better.

A video showing a brief update/progress of the Fastracks project I'm working on. (BTW, I'm on the "West Corridor" section right now, starting at the 2:05 mark of the video).

Last edited:
i cant get utube from work, but someone needs to post the "I want to be an Engineer, so Freakin bad" parody

I want to be on the cover of, PC magazine..

some irish humor that doesnt involve nuns or drunks

Back