Plane hits Father and Girl in Florida

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....I know people that chose fly planes are mostly good people.....
Thanks. I'll be sure to put you at the top of the list of character references for my next security screening.

I just think this whole land wherever the fuck you want to when you have a problem is total bullshit
One small point: The reason this story got picked up nationally is that it is pretty rare. How many people die due to negligence of others (or just plain old fashioned bad luck) via other means vs. those killed on the ground by airplanes? All those people don't make the news simply because it's regarded as a normal occurrence.

my aplogies, I realize this was a little harsh, I still dont agree with these actions, but I know they dont mean to kill people and cause a ruccus....

The pilot issued a statement that he never saw the people he hit.

I've had the opportunity to ride in the right front seat of a small plane a few times and it can be surprising how little you can see in front of you, especially in front and below you. On an approach to an airport once we had another pilot call out on the radio a location that was pretty much the same as ours. We couldn't see him anywhere so he must have been somewhere below us, which is scary when you're looking to land. Obviously we aborted the approach and got the hell out of there.

Last edited by a moderator:
so long as the extra lane comes out of the aviation fuel tax and not the motor fuel tax I am okay with the plane lane...

RG, I know of a paving program you could help manage to facilitate it...

great idea, we can increase the property taxes for people that have pilots licenses to pay for the ashpalt, construction management, maintenance, etc!

I still like the extra lane idea...

Seems like I remember reading that was part of the original interstate highways project - something like one mile out of every five had to be straight enough and level enough for a certain size airplane to land. Of course that was during the cold war and the purpose of the interstate was to move military equipment from place to place - ordinary people wouldn't use it......

Edit

Nope - apparently that's a myth http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Interesting information about where Eisenhower got the idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Aid_Highway_Act_of_1956

A plane without power isn't going to make much noise prior to hitting the ground. (maybe regulations should require horns?)

I read some of the comments of the article and am skeptical of everyone commenting being an "Attorney" and then giving their 2 cents...

I see it as two unlucky parties in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd imagine that the pilot did everything he could with the limited lift that he had left before landing.

I'm fairly certain that if I had my back turned and no one said "look out", you could throw a paper airplane at me and I wouldn't know about it until it hit me.

Latest posts

Back