Paternity Leave

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Daniel-Murphy-Mets-Paternity-Leave-Father-Newborn-Baseball-Mike-Francesa-253787031.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

Daniel Murphy is proud he put fatherhood ahead of baseball, and Mets manager Terry Collins thinks criticism his second baseman received for taking paternity leave this week was unfair.

Murphy made his season debut Thursday, three days after the birth of son Noah. He called staying in Florida an extra day "the right decision to make" following wife Victoria's cesarean section and said "we felt the best thing for our family was for me to stay."
Major league rules allow up to three days of paternity leave, and WFAN broadcaster Mike Francesa said on the air Wednesday that Murphy should not have skipped the second game.

"One day I understand. And in the old days they didn't do that," Francesa said. "But one day, go see the baby be born and come back. You're a Major League Baseball player. You can hire a nurse to take care of the baby if your wife needs help."
So this is apparently a BIG deal here in the NY/NJ area. Honestly, I really don't know why. IMO, this is a decision that is and should be left up to the parents of the newborn. The media, the public opinion, they all mean squat in terms of what should have happened, so long as the decision was reached by the parents.

This way overblow. It should make any difference if the father was an athlete, an engineer, a truck driver, or a sales clerk. If the parents decided that the father should be present, then that's the right decision. If the parents decided that he should stay at work, then that's the right decision too. Getting sick of the media telling us how we should feel.

Cause it's 1,2,3 strikes your out at the old ball game!!!

This kind of reminds me Of stories unused to hear about the military in the 60's and 70's... Private if the US Army wanted you to have a baby we would have issued you one.

I guess part of it is for me that I really don't like this hump Francesa. He's beyond smug and his opinions are gospel. I hate the media.

I agree, what is two games. The way I look at it is, this is a personal decision made by the parents. Outside influence shouldn't play a part. 2 games, 2/3 of a season, who cares? If that is the decision of the parents the everyone around them needs to accept the decision and GFY

paternity leave here is 4wks paid.

Wait, WHAT?

A squad leader here took 5 weeks off when his third kid was born. All of the men at the agency were clucking like a bunch of hens. Who cares. The works still got done.
when I started almost 12 yrs ago it was only 2 wks paid paternity leave. then a union contract bumped it 3wks, then another bumped it to 4 wks to be equal with the paid maternity leave. However if both Mom and dad work for the state only one of them get to claim the pd leave in the first place.

We are all about being fair and equal around here.

We used vacation time. I thought paid maternity leave was one of those things that only happened in Europe and fancy companies.

A dude at my work took off 6 months when they had a baby.. Typical 40 year old having a baby after being a yuppie the world had to stop when they had a baby....

Murphy plays for the Mets. It wouldn't have mattered if he took off the whole month.

But in all seriousness, these sports-talk radio hosts need to get off there pillars.

Pfft, its NY / NJ, it don't matter, people there gonna get their panties in bunch over the smallest damn thing :p

He makes fatty MLB money, couldn't he have hired a surrogate to be there for his wife and kid like George Sr. did in Arrested Development?

Latest posts

Back