Permanent tabs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WR/ENV_Instructor

WR/ENV Instructor/Author
Reaction score
Planning to start tabbing my CERM and my state requires permanent tabs. Can some of you who have already taken the exam give me some examples of permanent tabs? Where did you get them? I am only familiar with Post-it tabs and have been told these are not allowed.

i think it depends on how anal your state is, I used the "hard' post it notes tabs with no problem in georgia (we also have +500 taking the exam so they dont really have time to check)

the ones I used were called "Durable Index Tabs" from post it

717321_sk_md.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall my state using the term "permanent", but I used the same ones RoadGuy used. I could see though how those might not be considered "permanent".........but what the heck is permanent?

I know they make tabs that sort of clamp on to the page from both sides......I would think that is as permanent as it gets and I would probably buy those just to be safe. I would hate to get the boot over something as rediculous as tabs.

In NC the post-it tabs worked. If you post the state you are in someone here has proably taken the exam and can give you some "local" advice.

I used a large number of post-it flags, too, the kind that are easily removable. I was worried I'd have to remove them, so I replaced as many as I could with some some extra blank tabs that came with my NEC tab kit, but there weren't enough. I was ready to remove the rest at the door, and even asked the proctors to make sure, but they didn't care... so, I was able to leave them in.

Last edited:
I took my books, and with different highlighters, marked the edge of the pages. I could also take a sharp point sharpie and write notes or numbers on the edge if I wanted to....I thought it worked fairly well, and NO tabs.

I took my books, and with different highlighters, marked the edge of the pages. I could also take a sharp point sharpie and write notes or numbers on the edge if I wanted to....I thought it worked fairly well, and NO tabs.
eguor no tab spelled backwards is Baton Rouge......

Just sayin' :D

She probably meant the normal Post-it note type and not the labels which are actually plastic and a lot more adhesive.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully someone that took the exam in Delaware can say for sure. You would be hard pressed to truly have a permanent tab. :"the other board" mole:

Last edited:
Have never seen anyone put forth a theory as to why permanent tabs are required, if used. What's the big deal if they are post-it notes?

I have a theory. It's far-fetched, but could it be that they are afraid that people will use them to signal one another in the exam rooms? By watching each other and sending answers back and forth? A post-it moved to a certain area on a book means a certain thing. Like semaphore? :"the other board" mole:

semaphor.gif

I find that if you make a nice comment about the old ladies hair who is serving as the proctor that it goes along way B)

I have a theory. It's far-fetched, but could it be that they are afraid that people will use them to signal one another in the exam rooms? By watching each other and sending answers back and forth? A post-it moved to a certain area on a book means a certain thing. Like semaphore? :"the other board" mole:
That could be. I think they're more worried about people simply using them to pass notes, which is why they've also banned loose papers and other things like that.

I used post-its and then taped them on both sides of the page. You can also glue them. That's what the NY State Board chick said I could do to make the tabs permanent.

i think it depends on how anal your state is, I used the "hard' post it notes tabs with no problem in georgia (we also have +500 taking the exam so they dont really have time to check)
the ones I used were called "Durable Index Tabs" from post it

717321_sk_md.jpg
I used the exact same things...however...I found that I didn't refer to them once during the exam. After all those months of studying I found myself remembering a lot of topics and where they were in the CERM without even looking.

Back