PE worth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in Vermont, which is a dirt cheap place to live. As such, 5 years in the biz + a PE will get you mid $50k's.
The people I went to school with in NYC, with a bachelors and no PE, are well into the mid $60k's at this point.
I bet $60K in NYC wont buy you much.

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Nov 27 2006, 04:14 PM) QUOTE (MA_PE @ Nov 27 2006, 03:40 PM)

My incontinent supervisor

Boy, am I glad I don't work in your office.!!!! 

Does he specialize in domestic sewage design? 

pulls stuff out of ass
Doesn't need to, it falls out on its own.

They work at a slow pace, so that they have work to do.
I know some state jobs are like that but where I work we're swamped with work and short handed. Its been like that the whole 8 years I've been there. I love a fast paced job but I'm seriously thinking about looking for work somewhere where I don't get in trouble for wanting to leave at 5pm occasionaly and see my family.

Hello All,

I would appreciate some career advice from people who have been in the engineering workforce. I am 28 y/o, have a BSME, and just passed the PE exam. Since graduating from college, I have been working for a $6 billion USD European company that supplies a commodity product for industry (automotive, construction, mining, ag, etc). My position is an applications engineer and I have been lucky with a good job, and one year working in Europe.

I started at 43K (5 y ago) and now make 55K w/ a company car. I spend about 50% of my time on the road, which easily runs around 50 - 70 hours /week. No overtime pay. My PE licesne will not get me any more money in my current job. But I will get the opportunity for more responsbility (sales) + more travel + a little bit more pay (15% more). I feel the added pay will not cover the added time lost.

What options are out there for a person like me. Would it make sense to start a career in HVAC / piping with a PE? Would I have to take a cut in pay? Are there other careers for a BSME with a PE. I currently enjoy the flexibility of working in and out of the office. The constant travel (all across the US) is not always fun.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello All,
I would appreciate some career advice from people who have been in the engineering workforce. I am 28 y/o, have a BSME, and just passed the PE exam. Since graduating from college, I have been working for a $6 billion USD European company that supplies a commodity product for industry (automotive, construction, mining, ag, etc). My position is an applications engineer and I have been lucky with a good job, and one year working in Europe.

I started at 43K (5 y ago) and now make 55K w/ a company car. I spend about 50% of my time on the road, which easily runs around 50 - 70 hours /week. No overtime pay. My PE licesne will not get me any more money in my current job. But I will get the opportunity for more responsbility (sales) + more travel + a little bit more pay (15% more). I feel the added pay will not cover the added time lost.

What options are out there for a person like me. Would it make sense to start a career in HVAC / piping with a PE? Would I have to take a cut in pay? Are there other careers for a BSME with a PE. I currently enjoy the flexibility of working in and out of the office. The constant travel (all across the US) is not always fun.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Where do you live now? Do you have kids/spouse? Sounds like you're not very happy. 55K for the number of hours you work sounds like too little to me. 15% + more travel and responsibility also sounds like too little for the hassle.

From what I've found - if you are looking to change engineering focus within a discipline, (ie. you have NO experience as an HVAC designer) then getting the PE might make you more marketable as far as getting a job, but you will still go into it at close to entry level pay.

You might be able to get a good entry level pay for close to what you're getting now, if you look in the right place, get off the road and maybe be entitled to some OT if they offer it.

I've looked at switching career focus into other areas of mechanical engineering, but after 10 years in manufacturing, jumping to the other areas of engineering, and losing the pay, vacation, etc. just for the sake of doing something different isn't appealing.

Good Luck. It's hard to know what's going to be the right fit for you 10 years down the road, but if you're tired of all the travel, want to make the same money and want to do something different, then put your resume out there and see who bites.

Thanks tdthomas and MetroRAFB,

I now live in Chicago. I started working with this company outside Philly, was transferred to Germany, and then transferred to Chicago. The commodity industry that I work in is not known for great salaries. I am getting married in June (no kids). I am open to relocating, but Chicago is a good base for now. I would think that I can get a much better salary than 55k living here. I really need some direction on a career field that offers room for advancement, some time in/out of the office, and the possibility of relocation down the road.

I speak German and Spanish. I carry European and American passports. I just don't know what firm / career would value what I can offer.

Florida I think is more progressive in realizing that state employees cant really do what consultants can do, but in some states, a state job is the life, especially if your in a state where the economy sucks (Like New Mexico, or somewhere where the only good jobs are government jobs).
There's a guy I know that works for the "State of Florida" and has 25 years experience (after PE) being paid less than I am (right now...I am going to be making way more if the Lord wills doing my own private consulting firm).

Florida is notorious for low wages and that sticks very well for engineers. For all the "need" that is said, Florida employers don't pay very well, on the average (often don't pay at all if you ask some of the contractor people).

I came really close to moving to jacksonville a few years ago, I really wanted to make the move (this was before PE obvioulsy)

My boss at the time was opening a new office for a large Transportation firm, and I wanted to go with him, but the "higher ups" immediatley wanted to cut 5% from my existing salary due to the "no state tax" thing. put on top of that my same $200Khouse in Atlanta would be $350K in JAX, with no basement, and no yard.

Of coure he was the first one to call when he found out I passed, but I think that ship has sailed for the most part.

The Consultants are rather competitive for P.E. pay here in Florida. Now remember, I am talking about Consultants.

Last edited:
didnt you mean to say "scum sucking consultants" ?

that generally how I refer to myself :D

that's true. consulting is the way to go (at least in South FL) for the extra $$$. employers don't pay as well here as other areas wrt the cost of living. i don't know how the entry level (22-23 year olds) can even consider moving here.

the price you pay to live in the sunshine, i suppose. i would love to have a bigger house, but engineering would not pay for it...

have you thought of trying to become an expert witness? i think that would be interesting work. or something with crime scene reconstruction...how about accident investigation...

i need to get this license so i can research these thoughts!

that's true.  consulting is the way to go (at least in South FL) for the extra $$$.  employers don't pay as well here as other areas wrt the cost of living.  i don't know how the entry level (22-23 year olds) can even consider moving here.
the price you pay to live in the sunshine, i suppose.  i would love to have a bigger house, but engineering would not pay for it...

have you thought of trying to become an expert witness?  i think that would be interesting work.  or something with crime scene reconstruction...how about accident investigation...

i need to get this license so i can research these thoughts!
I don't know how anyone can afford to live south of WPB along the east coast of Florida these days. I know many people who will not accept jobs down there because of property values + homeowners insurance. It's crazy and partly the reason I have not headed in that direction.

As far as being an expert witness - it isn't necessarily all that. I have served as an expert witness in two court cases. It was BRUTAL !!!!! Think twice before you want to step into court - lawyers will do anything and everything to get you all twisted around.

Once you get your PE license though - you can do just about anything you like :) Take you time to look around - that is what I am doing now.

JR

Come on down to Vero Beach, we have a need for P.E.'s, E.I.'s and CAD designers. We are about an hour north of Palm Beach and the housing prices are dropping dramatically. :true:

Come on down to Vero Beach, we have a need for P.E.'s, E.I.'s and CAD designers. We are about an hour north of Palm Beach and the housing prices are dropping dramatically.
true.gif

Not if I have anything to say about it. :D j/k, well I think, but, hey, subdivisions and such...

Back