PE vs. P.E.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the NCEES letter, but no license number yet, is there an issue with immediately throwing it on your email signature?

You're not a PE until you receive your license number from the state. Until the state says you're a PE, all you've done is pass a test...

This is a gray area that I've wondered about. When I submitted my application to Missouri last May, they responded with "Your application for licensure as a Professional Engineer has been approved by the Professional Engineering Division of the Missouri Board, subject to your passing the written examination required by law." The Missouri board must certify the NCEES test results prior to my NCEES notification, so my interpretation is that yes, I am a PE, I just haven't received my official license in the mail yet.

It's subject to them certifying your results. Just because NCEES says you passed, MO still needs to enter it into their system. I would wait until you get the go-ahead from them.

With the NCEES letter, but no license number yet, is there an issue with immediately throwing it on your email signature?
Yes, and it's definitely something your state board might nail you for if they are so inclined. A good number of the disciplinary cases I've read were of the "Oops -- forgot to renew my license" variety. In some cases, people were nailed for not immediately removing "P.E" from their name after the license expired. Holding yourself out as licensed at any time when you don't have a valid license is something they take very seriously in my state.

No sense getting a disciplinary action on your permanent record just for being impatient. You'd most likely have to declare (and explain) such disciplinary action every time you apply for or renew a license.

Not worth the hassle. You'll be an official P.E. soon enough.

We're only talking about a couple weeks, and when compared to the 2 months you've already been waiting for results, plus the previous 4 years (minimum) you've been waiting to apply to take the exam, it's a drop in the bucket.

Yes, and it's definitely something your state board might nail you for if they are so inclined. A good number of the disciplinary cases I've read were of the "Oops -- forgot to renew my license" variety. In some cases, people were nailed for not immediately removing "P.E" from their name after the license expired. Holding yourself out as licensed at any time when you don't have a valid license is something they take very seriously in my state.

No sense getting a disciplinary action on your permanent record just for being impatient. You'd most likely have to declare (and explain) such disciplinary action every time you apply for or renew a license.

Not worth the hassle. You'll be an official P.E. soon enough.
Good Point.

I think this would be different from State to State.

If you are in a state that has NCEES directly email you results, than I would suggest waiting until you have notification from your state board.

In my state, the State Board sends the pass letter. However, they give you a number, require you to order your stamp, and send a stamped document back to the board for them to put into your official file.

I see it as once you've recieved the # from the state, you are good to go, but technically, if the state mandates you have a signed stamped paper on file before practicing, then you need to wait until that is complete.

Again, I'm sure its different from state to state.

BTW, It's John F. Doe, P.E. Period.

no PE stuff. When properly flaunting your P.E.-ness, you need to show it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this would be different from State to State. If you are in a state that has NCEES directly email you results, than I would suggest waiting until you have notification from your state board. In my state, the State Board sends the pass letter. However, they give you a number, require you to order your stamp, and send a stamped document back to the board for them to put into your official file. I see it as once you've recieved the # from the state, you are good to go, but technically, if the state mandates you have a signed stamped paper on file before practicing, then you need to wait until that is complete. Again, I'm sure its different from state to state.
I'm waiting until I either see my name, license number and issue date included in the official online database that the state board maintains or I receive my license card in the mail. Besides, there's no real rush. My company won't be letting me sign anything in the foreseeable future, as they prefer to have senior managers do all the signing.

BTW, It's John F. Doe, P.E. Period. no PE stuff. When properly flaunting your P.E.-ness, you need to show it right.
I tend to agree with you just by personal preference, but when I see my state board using PE rather than P.E. in their official publications, it makes me wonder how to determine what is actually right. Being an engineer, I prefer the right (or best) way to do things, but I think this is one of those gray areas where there really is no definitive correct style. I suspect that P.E. was probably the original style, but like other things, there are now more "modern" or creative ways to do things. Remember when phone numbers were all listed like this: (123) 456-7890? Now you see 123.456.7890 and other variations.

FWIW, I plan on using P.E. rather than PE. But not until the state issues the license. Should be any day now...

It is not personal preference. There is a right way and then, other ways.

After passing the test you have the right whatever fits your need. That does not make it right or wrong. Makes it your personal preference. Nothing else.

Someone decided already what is the correct PE-ness etiquette. If you follow it or not, that does not matter.

What do you guys think of 'RCE' (Registered Civil Engineer) instead of 'PE' (Professional Engineer)? I've worked with a few guys who used RCE instead of PE.

Bob B. Jones, RCE

??

^^^ except in CO, the state doesnt differentiate which PE discipline you are. So despite the fact that my degree and exan was for civil, if i gained experience as an EE, I could stamp those too without having to get relicensed...

If I include PE in my email signature, do I need to include my full name (i.e., not use my nickname)? For example, are both of the following acceptable?

Joe Smith, PE

Joseph A. Smith, PE

There are typlically not periods in post nominal titles.

John Smith, CPA (accounting)

John Smith, MD (medical doctor)

John Smith, PharmD (pharmacist)

John Smith, DDS (dentist)

John Smith, CBM (meterologist)

John Smith, RLS (surveyor)

etc

John Smith, PE

There are typlically not periods in post nominal titles.

John Smith, CPA (accounting)

John Smith, MD (medical doctor)

John Smith, PharmD (pharmacist)

John Smith, DDS (dentist)

John Smith, CBM (meterologist)

John Smith, RLS (surveyor)

etc

John Smith, PE
Wow John Smith has been busy :laugh:

That's not what I was asking. My question was:

"If I include PE in my email signature, do I need to include my full name (i.e., not use my nickname)? For example, are both of the following acceptable? Joe Smith, PE Joseph A. Smith, PE"

Back