PE Structural 1 Study Strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviationz

Reaction score
Folks,

I know many of you here have been in my boat previously. I work in a building design firm and I have mainly worked in Concrete/steel and masonry. I haven't designed timber at all and no exposure to AASHTO other than a bridge design course in school.

What should be the strategy in preparing for the exam? I already have the required building codes and the SERM, six minute solutions? How thorough should your review of topics be and are there good strategies to prepare and pass the exam? I know I only have little less than 4 months.

Please advice.

Hi deviationz,

Honestly you can pass the test w/o knowing the timber/AASHTO.

I would borrow a timber book and flip through it, usually they quesitons regarding timber are pretty straightforward and if you take a class that explains the Adjustment factors you'll be good to go. I know a lot of people never forked over the $$$ for the AASHTO book (myself included). Just keep in mind that not knowing these will likely miss you 3-4 questions, so you have to pick up the slack otherwise. If you learn timber (which is useful for any structural engr imo), then be prepared to miss 1-2 questions on the AASHTO side.

I reviewed by reading the CERM to cover all the sections i didn't know (transpo, geotech, etc.), then doing a lot of structural problems. I didn't worry about doing non-structural problems because the morning section is more basic and don't have very complicated problems. I also took a review class that helped with seismic and surveying. I knew seismic, but didn't know what kind of questions would be on the test, and wanted some hints.

Hopefully that helps.

Hi deviationz,
Honestly you can pass the test w/o knowing the timber/AASHTO.

I would borrow a timber book and flip through it, usually they quesitons regarding timber are pretty straightforward and if you take a class that explains the Adjustment factors you'll be good to go. I know a lot of people never forked over the $$$ for the AASHTO book (myself included). Just keep in mind that not knowing these will likely miss you 3-4 questions, so you have to pick up the slack otherwise. If you learn timber (which is useful for any structural engr imo), then be prepared to miss 1-2 questions on the AASHTO side.

I reviewed by reading the CERM to cover all the sections i didn't know (transpo, geotech, etc.), then doing a lot of structural problems. I didn't worry about doing non-structural problems because the morning section is more basic and don't have very complicated problems. I also took a review class that helped with seismic and surveying. I knew seismic, but didn't know what kind of questions would be on the test, and wanted some hints.

Hopefully that helps.
dastuf: Your post sounds like you opted for the civil/str exam. The OP says he preparing for the Str1 exam. No need to study transpo/geotech/surveying, etc. if you're going the Str1 route.

dastuf: Your post sounds like you opted for the civil/str exam. The OP says he preparing for the Str1 exam. No need to study transpo/geotech/surveying, etc. if you're going the Str1 route.
You're absolutely right MA, I guess i didn't read the post to closely since it was in the Civil Structural Forum and not the Structural Forum..

My apologies.

Back