PE review course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly recommend the NSPE's review course. I have it and it was really really helpful. Didnt seem like it at first, but when I took the test, it really came throught. (Maybe NSPE and NCEES have connections...or somethign)

I suggest

School of PE

I did not have time to study (four kids, and i run an office for a small engineering company, and i am the lead stormwwater designer for hte company. I took the exam the first time and failed (studied very little), i took the class 5 weekends. I did not studyoutside the class. I took the week befor the exam off from work and hid in a hotel room in another city away from the family / work. And Studied me *** off.

I think this class is worth every penny. They provide the information for the general exam part in very good detail and in my opionion about half of what you need for the afternoon. They have problems that were like the ones on the test, and have very well organized notes, and formula sheets to help you access the material quickly.

I guess the review for CE exam is fine. I made the mistake of taking the two-weekend course for ENV exam. Essentially, they added us to the last two weekends for CE review. I would not recommend School of PE for anyone taking the ENV PE. A friend of a friend gave me the notes from a course offered in Delaware. I am not sure of the name of the institute, but they covered everything at the level of detail we need for ENV exam. School of PE did not cover haz waste or air at all!

I suggest School of PE

I did not have time to study (four kids, and i run an office for a small engineering company, and i am the lead stormwwater designer for hte company. I took the exam the first time and failed (studied very little), i took the class 5 weekends. I did not studyoutside the class. I took the week befor the exam off from work and hid in a hotel room in another city away from the family / work. And Studied me *** off.

I think this class is worth every penny. They provide the information for the general exam part in very good detail and in my opionion about half of what you need for the afternoon. They have problems that were like the ones on the test, and have very well organized notes, and formula sheets to help you access the material quickly.

I guess the review for CE exam is fine. I made the mistake of taking the two-weekend course for ENV exam. Essentially, they added us to the last two weekends for CE review. I would not recommend School of PE for anyone taking the ENV PE. A friend of a friend gave me the notes from a course offered in Delaware. I am not sure of the name of the institute, but they covered everything at the level of detail we need for ENV exam. School of PE did not cover haz waste or air at all!
I agree for that for the environmental. they only attended two weeks of the class, and i do not think it was enough for the entire env test. I took WR and it was enough.

I took a review course through Young ASCE in Orlando. It was 10-12 week course, every Monday night (3-hours) with each of the disciplines being covered. The course ended a week before the exam. In the long run it was good. They obviously did not teach a whole topic in 2-evenings, but it gave you an idea of what to expect and look at. Being an environmental/WR person ... I had no idea what to expect for Structural, Geotech and Transp. As mentioned, they don't re-teach a whole course but give you the basics and what to look up. If this is offered in your area ... highly reccomended!!

I was a first time test taker and decided to take the advice and sign up for a review course. Let me preface this note by saying I passed the exam on my first try.

I registered for the School of PE review course (Sat & Sun) because I liked that it was compacted over 5 weekends and ended near the exam date. I started studying for the April exam in December and I studied hard. By the time the review course started (March), I felt burned out and the course was a good mind numbing break from my intense studying. My impression of the course was that it was fair. I had studied so hard that 90% of the material covered in the class I knew/recalled already. I am not sure if the class helped my pass b/c I seemed to already understand and had great recall for the topics they covered, but I did pass and owe some credit to the course.

My overall 2 cents is that if you have the discipline to study on your own, a review course is not necessary. However, if you are a procrastinator then take it. At least it forces you to study and do review problems. Review notes/problems were fair that I'll probably sell. As everyone has stated may times, NCEES review materials are the easiest and most representative of the level of difficulty you will see on the exam. 6-minute solutions are better b/c there are a bit tougher and you get more problems. Lindenberg problems are the toughest and too hard for the exam but great to practice on. I studied in the following order:

Lindenberg

6-minute solutions

School of PE

NCEES.

Problems got easier as I got closer to the exam b/c: 1) they were and 2) b/c I had been studying longer.

Good luck to all future examinees!

I suggest School of PE

I also when the School of PE route. It was offered in a hotel in NJ, so I actually stayed over 5 weekends. With 5 children and almost no time to study in my house (waaaaaay too much noise - childrens ages - 2, 2, 4, 7, and 16), the 9 hours on Saturday and 8 on Sunday blitz was perfect.

While taking the course, though it was very good, I felt that there was not enough depth coverage. My depth was geotech, and I did do a lot of that studying on my own.

Still awaiting NY results. Let's see how it worked out.

I cannot in good conscience recommend the ESD (Engineering Society of Detroit) ME review. Nice staff, but extremely disorganized, and HVAC review was moved to end of course, then it only consisted of the students trying to give the instructor hints on how to solve basic problems types he had never seen. I had to buy a very expensive textbook to have a prayer at Thermal/Fluids. ModernDoug

Back