PE Review Course Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE HELP

Reaction score
I have started studying for the April 2011 Mechanical Engineering PE Exam and have found out that I am going to need a lot of help. I am thinking about taking a review class. I live in the Philadelphia area, does anyone know of any courses in this area that have not started yet? I am even open to an online class. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have started studying for the April 2011 Mechanical Engineering PE Exam and have found out that I am going to need a lot of help. I am thinking about taking a review class. I live in the Philadelphia area, does anyone know of any courses in this area that have not started yet? I am even open to an online class. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If there isn't anyone who can help with the review class, can anyone give me advice on how to study? I am planning on reading the Lindeburg text followed by doing the as many practice problems as I can get my hands on (six-minute solutions, sample exam from Lindeburg, and practice problems from Lindeburg). Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If there isn't anyone who can help with the review class, can anyone give me advice on how to study? I am planning on reading the Lindeburg text followed by doing the as many practice problems as I can get my hands on (six-minute solutions, sample exam from Lindeburg, and practice problems from Lindeburg). Any thoughts?

I didn't take a review course. I read and/or skimmed through the Lindeburg book, section by section as laid out in the schedule at the beginning of the book. Then I worked the 6 minute solutions, the NCEES practice test, and then the sample Lindeburg exam since I had extra time and was nervous.

I left the exam thinking that if I had to take it again, I'm not sure what else I would/could do differently. Maybe read Lindeburg more carefully instead of skimming over some topics (Heat Xfer and HVAC). That being said, I am still waiting on my results and don't know how well my studying routine worked :waitwall:

Thanks.

I didn't take a review course. I read and/or skimmed through the Lindeburg book, section by section as laid out in the schedule at the beginning of the book. Then I worked the 6 minute solutions, the NCEES practice test, and then the sample Lindeburg exam since I had extra time and was nervous.

I left the exam thinking that if I had to take it again, I'm not sure what else I would/could do differently. Maybe read Lindeburg more carefully instead of skimming over some topics (Heat Xfer and HVAC). That being said, I am still waiting on my results and don't know how well my studying routine worked :waitwall:
Thanks for the advice.

Good luck with the results. Hopefully you will hear soon.

Good for you for starting to study. I took the Mechanical with the Thermal and Fluids in the PM. Personally I did what you did and did as many problems as possible. I also reviewed by old university text books and did problems out of that for things I have not done in awhile (i.e. statics, dynamics, etc.) just to get a feel for it again, and build some confidence. In addition, I put some important concepts in a separate notebook (notes only as IL does not allow solutions manuals, or test preparation stuff such as SMS), such as the vapor cycles, power cycles etc. Also do as many problems with IP units, as this will pretty much be on the entire exam.

I do not know about philly, but I live near Pittsburgh and Penn State offered a review course that I thought was pretty good.

I hope it helps you out.

I passed ... just found out a few days ago!

:party-smiley-048:

I took the Oct 2010 Mechanical / HVAC exam and passed!.

I studied for 5-6 month on my own, used the PPI mechanical package, including NCEES practice test and 6 min. questions.

I wrote this in the other forum after the test:

"I took ME with HVAC/Refrig.

The Morning was pretty close to what I expected. For a specialty as broad as mechanical engineering is very difficult to have all bases covered (in my case mechanical design is my weakness), but I had more than 45 minutes to come back and spend more time in those questions. I?m guessing I got 30-35 out of 40.

The afternoon was a different animal, I was confident about my specialty but they really made me work!! Plenty of variety in the problems, even though I kept my eye on the clock the hole afternoon didn't have any extra time, when the 15 minutes warning came I till had about 5 questions unanswered, I had to try my best to get to some result on those. I?m guessing 25-30 out of 40.

So best case scenario 65/80, worst case 55/80

My finals thoughts:

-The questions were tricky, more than once I found myself working in one direction (due to the data given) only to realize that I didn't need all that info.

-They didn't let me use my extra large, colored, laminated charts (mollier and psychro) because they were not bound, and I found that 5 minutes before the exam (the first proctors said it was fine but the principal said it wasn't just before the beginning). That definitely affected my efficiency.

-The proctors were as fast as usual! , We waste approximately 2 hours in preparations (that includes both sessions before and after).

-The room was huge, and we had plenty of space but the lights were so noisy!.

Best luck to everyone! "

I hope this help.

Latest posts

Back