PE passers by age.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 hour ago, dimockman said: Passed at 49. Passed the EIT in 1993. Worked Construction/Project Management for many years (not under a PE) so it took me quite some time to qualify. Never give up. You can do this !!!
Thanks for your words of inspiration... I am 47 and today I found out I failed the PE Mechanical Systems & Design test for the 2nd time. Very discouraged but thinking I'll try it next year.... I need time to recoup.
Don't give up. Start studying tomorrow. I know that you can do this !!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Passed at 29 on first attempt. Shameless plug for School of PE.

I am curious though, the ones who are 21 +/- a year, are you in a state where you can take the test prior to having the experience requirement to be licensed? I have heard this is becoming more popular.

Personally, I took it as soon as I was eligible in my state. Add schooling for a masters degree and a few years working without having a PE to work under and here I am. I do have to say that it was somewhat interesting, albeit difficult, to go back and relearn all of the things I had forgotten how to do since undergrad.

Passed at 36 on first attempt in ME Thermal Fluids.  Took Testmasters, but I think it was mainly self study that got me through it (especially with the change in the ME test format).

Passed at 33. I hope nobody is discouraged about becoming licensed based on age. My engineering undergraduate program was an online program that had people of all age ranges from 20's to 60's... that was encouraging to me!

Failed the first time at 46 with a 39/80 score, failed the 2nd time at 47 with a 46/80 score, my discipline was PE Machine Design & Materials. Not sure if I want to take the exam again in Oct.'17 or if I should wait until April '18... very disappointed but seeing others post their results after their 3rd attempt is very encouraging.

Thanks for your words of inspiration... I am 47 and today I found out I failed the PE Mechanical Systems & Design test for the 2nd time. Very discouraged but thinking I'll try it next year.... I need time to recoup.
Start studying tomorrow. Never give up. A lot easier said than done, but trust me, you'll find the determination to get it next time 

Start studying tomorrow. Never give up. A lot easier said than done, but trust me, you'll find the determination to get it next time 
Thank you very much... and I think you're right. Better start studying again while things are fresh in my mind...

Wow!  I'm SO inspired by the vast range of age/life/etc.  It's inspiring...I didn't pass (again) but will try(again).

I've been out of school for about 15 years.  I took the FE about 13 years ago.

Thanks for sharing!

Failed the first time at 46 with a 39/80 score, failed the 2nd time at 47 with a 46/80 score, my discipline was PE Machine Design & Materials. Not sure if I want to take the exam again in Oct.'17 or if I should wait until April '18... very disappointed but seeing others post their results after their 3rd attempt is very encouraging.
I'd encourage you to take a month or so to relax then get right back at it. You improved remarkably between 1st and 2nd attempts. Don't be discouraged!! You can do this!!

I'd encourage you to take a month or so to relax then get right back at it. You improved remarkably between 1st and 2nd attempts. Don't be discouraged!! You can do this!!
Thank you Headnarm...this is personal now. I need to take time off to rest and then get back at it...

Thank you Headnarm...this is personal now. I need to take time off to rest and then get back at it...
Yep... a little time off to gather yourself and mentally prepare yourself for studying/taking the exam again. If you're dead-set on passing this exam then nothing will stop you from doing it. Period. Who cares if you didn't pass this time... you only need to pass once... you'll get there! Relax for now, then come back recharged and ready to put your nose to the grind stone!

Back