PE minimum salary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see one's salary as what you need to maintain you standard of living. If you make 100K but are miserable for 240 days out of the year, is it really worth it? Hell no! Try to find a place where you enjoy your work and it does'nt take over your life. You will be much happier and live longer if you find a rewarding job, rather than stressing out all week, making a bunch of money and having to blow it over 2 days of the weekend, only to dread Monday morning.
Do we work together?

(P.E. 5 years exp.)

At the old job, I was making the bottom 25% of all civil engineers in the area. But that was for the local muni (City). The public Works Director is still working on getting the Engineers I left behind a raise. :lmao: :rotflmao

My current employer is paying so much I have very little time for all the side work I am offered. :true:

My current employer is paying so much I have very little time for all the side work I am offered. :true:
I don't understand. Do you mean that your salary is so much that you no longer feel the drive to do all the side work to enhance your income?

If so, good job! That's where I need to be.

Ed

(P.E. 5 years exp.)
At the old job, I was making the bottom 25% of all civil engineers in the area.  But that was for the local muni (City).  The public Works Director is still working on getting the Engineers I left behind a raise.
rleon

I've worked on the consulting side for 6 years now, thinking about going to the muni side. In your experience is the muni stide less stressful. There's a couple of positions open with the local county that start out with 20 paid days off and 11 holidays. It keeps looking better everyday, plus I would like to work my 8 hour day and go home. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

:brick:

Consulting side (but bigger company) is probably where you want to be for the more serious dollars. But usually that comes with more travel, more overtime (unpaid) and more pressure. If you're really lucky, your company will give you comp time (under the table), but you'll be too busy to use it. Also less stability. Big companies staff up for big jobs and then let everyone go.

If you're lucky, you get on with a msall company and be there on the ground floor when it takes off.

Life is a series of choices and consequences.......

If you're lucky, you get on with a msall company and be there on the ground floor when it takes off.
That's kinda what I'm trying to do right now. The company I work for bought out a landscape architecture office, and wanted to grow a civil engineering division there too.

They brought on my boss to run the show and me to do a lot of the nuts and bolts work and pound out plans. It was just the 2 of us for the first year.

We're now turning a profit, and they've hired 3 people since May. I think the goal is to get a survey crew and another engineer on board in the next year or so and call it an office.

notice how all companies want you to be able to produce your own plans but 'drawing' does not supposively count towards your work experience!

"piss" on that.....

That's kinda what I'm trying to do right now. The company I work for bought out a landscape architecture office, and wanted to grow a civil engineering division there too.

They brought on my boss to run the show and me to do a lot of the nuts and bolts work and pound out plans. It was just the 2 of us for the first year.

We're now turning a profit, and they've hired 3 people since May. I think the goal is to get a survey crew and another engineer on board in the next year or so and call it an office.
I need to re-word that, I am so busy that I do not have time for side work.

Back