PE in EE with less than 4 yrs of experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

om_rap

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted some advice here. I am a non-US citizen, with an MSEE and less than 4 years of work exp in this country. I started working while still in school because I was doing my master's thesis research and hence my job joining date (Oct 2008) precedes my graduation date (May 2009). Some states say that they will give credit to "either my degree or my experience" no both, since this is an overlapping case. What exactly does this mean?

I have around 3 years of foreign work experience before I came here (2003-2006). I am keen on applying in October'11.

How strict are the different states in considering the "work experience period"?

How can I improve my chances of getting my application approved?

I have good design experience, have done master's thesis (research) and I personally feel that I should be eligible, but I need advice in portraying my application in a very good manner.

What qualities do the Boards look out for in case of younger engineers like me?

I am aware that many Boards dont consider the foreign experience because it was not under a licensed PE, but which states consider it? And what is their acceptance criteria?

Please give tips on building my application

Hi,I wanted some advice here. I am a non-US citizen, with an MSEE and less than 4 years of work exp in this country. I started working while still in school because I was doing my master's thesis research and hence my job joining date (Oct 2008) precedes my graduation date (May 2009). Some states say that they will give credit to "either my degree or my experience" no both, since this is an overlapping case. What exactly does this mean?

I have around 3 years of foreign work experience before I came here (2003-2006). I am keen on applying in October'11.

How strict are the different states in considering the "work experience period"?

How can I improve my chances of getting my application approved?

I have good design experience, have done master's thesis (research) and I personally feel that I should be eligible, but I need advice in portraying my application in a very good manner.

What qualities do the Boards look out for in case of younger engineers like me?

I am aware that many Boards dont consider the foreign experience because it was not under a licensed PE, but which states consider it? And what is their acceptance criteria?

Please give tips on building my application

I believe you need 6 total years credit. normally people get 4 years credit for BS degree, and 2 years of work experience (under supervision of a PE). Your education and work experience should be sufficient. Double check your BS credits... You should receive some credit for your BS assuming your school from the foreign country is legit, must be ABBET approved or something to that nature. You get 1 year credit for MS(assuming its in the states). Your 4 years of work experience is plenty. Call the consumers affair office and ask, they will have a solid answer for you. good luck.

depends on the state you wish to take the test in. Go to your states boards website to find info or call them.

Back