PE from other nationality's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaled_eid

Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in the next PE exam in Cairo , I was convinced by some freinds to apply but I always ask my seld what would be the benefit for international PE engineerings ? I never seen a job in either Egypt or middle east looking for PE engineer.May be only in USA but also they might be looking only for local especially during this recess period or you may think it is getting this tilte will garntee to have have a job?

I am now focused about passing the exam but if there are any early steps that to be considred I would be glad to know.

Thanks

If you are looking to stay in Egypt or work for middle eastern companies, pursuing the PE license probably isn't worth it for you. But if you are looking for an "in" with American companies operating overseas, or perhaps jobs with the Corps of Engineers, or make yourself more attractive to domestic companies in the USA , then the PE might pay off for you in the long run. I certainly wouldn't expect immediate gains, especially if you don't have a lot of engineering experience yet.

I do agree if youre outside of US PE license cant be much of use, but still an advance to your resume, I remember back in my country the Engineering Dean had a US PE license and title, it was useful for his resume and reputation and gain a lot of respect in the profession and he used to worked in the US as a PE in the govt and retired in my home country.

Thanks for your respond , this confrim my idea but till now I do not know why the NCEES allow the exam outside the USA which in my openion to apply it as international standrad ?

Are you sure that is real? When you are in the US, each state board you want to have a license from needs to approve you. NCEES does not approve who can take the exam nor issues a license. The state licensing board decides this and issues the license (and when you move to another state you need to re-apply). Maybe they have special rules for someone coming to the US and not decided on which state.

My question would be, does any other country have something like a PE and would they accept a PE as equivalent to their licensing?

If you ever work for an international company that have heard of PE, it sure will be some type of benefit. Make sure it doesn't expire or something like that. hope the exam really is from NCEES and not from some company that does exam "like NCEES".

A co worker of mine had to take a test at her university (in the US) that was said to be like the FE exam and the university used those results for internal requirements. The co worker later somehow thought it was like an FE exam... except that it was not an authorized test site and needless to say she didn't get an EIT license based on it. So make sure that test is not just one of those mock-up test-preparation tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that is real? When you are in the US, each state board you want to have a license from needs to approve you. NCEES does not approve who can take the exam nor issues a license. The state licensing board decides this and issues the license (and when you move to another state you need to re-apply). Maybe they have special rules for someone coming to the US and not decided on which state.
My question would be, does any other country have something like a PE and would they accept a PE as equivalent to their licensing?

If you ever work for an international company that have heard of PE, it sure will be some type of benefit. Make sure it doesn't expire or something like that. hope the exam really is from NCEES and not from some company that does exam "like NCEES".

A co worker of mine had to take a test at her university (in the US) that was said to be like the FE exam and the university used those results for internal requirements. The co worker later somehow thought it was like an FE exam... except that it was not an authorized test site and needless to say she didn't get an EIT license based on it. So make sure that test is not just one of those mock-up test-preparation tests.
You are right we did the FE as well and there is a min 4 years of practical approved experience this checked by the American university in Cairo , The PE is approved to be equivalent in some other countries but need to check there regulation and fill up some paper work this agreement allows PE from both countries to work without sitting in an exam again. I guess Canada is one of them with the US.

Latest posts

Back