PE Exam Topic Decision

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrui00

Reaction score
When do you have to decide which PE exam are you going to take? During the application process? or once the engineering board of your state has approved your application? I know you have to specify which area are you most qualified to practice during your application, but it may be Electrical Engineering and then your exam may be Computer Engineering or Power, for instance. Or you may be most qualified to practice Civil Engineering but you want to get the PE in Fire Protection.

Thanks.

I chose Electrical: Electrical with Electrical Sauce after my application had already been approved by New York State.

I applied to take the PE in :wv: and then once my app was approved, I registered on NCEES.com I chose which discipline and afternoon topic there.

In Missouri, the application had a section where you check what engineering discipline, as in "Electrical and Computer", but no depth area was specified. When approved to take the test, you then register/pay for the test with NCEES and choose the specific area at that time. Are you trying to decide which EE area to take?

I may take the PE in one specific area of EE, or I may do it in Fire Protection. The point is that if my state asks me which area of engineering are you most qualified to practice, and I state EE and then I do Fire Protection, they may keep in their record that I can work only as EE? Or can I state a couple of engineering fields where I feel I am most qualified?

With that kind of question, I would call them and ask. This is the kind of thing that could vary from state to state.

If you go to the NCEES website under the Licensing Boards area you will find part of your answer. Go to your state and click the "View all answers to licensing board survey." link. Scroll down until you find the state's answer to the following question (Missouri shown here):

How does your jurisdiction license engineers?

As a professional engineer, allowed to practice in his/her area(s) of competency, regardless of which discipline of the professional examination was taken for licensure

This won't tell you how to fill out the application section on your discipline, but at least will let you know if you are covered for more than one area of competency once you pass the test.

Back