PE Exam Prep vs. Grad School

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a time management issue.  Should have gotten your PMP and Sigma Six first to help with the scheduling and efficiency issues.   :thumbs:
:eek:ldman:

It most certainly was a time management issue. But not on my end, on what was required per the course professors. They liked to call it "homework". But I think it was more akin to introductory thesis work. :thumbs:

I actually did take a PM course as an elective. It was somewhat valuable but mostly just busy work. **** PMBOK...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of an accurate listing / website of Colleges that offer an On-Line Master in Power Engineering?  

I thought I found one but it didn't have K-State, who is more expensive then I want but seems to be rock solid course offering for Power.

You would think such a thing would exist with the god awful amount of money flowing around in Academics and their recruitment.

Does anyone know of an accurate listing / website of Colleges that offer an On-Line Master in Power Engineering?  

You would think such a thing would exist with the god awful amount of money flowing around in Academics and their recruitment.
Nope. Why would any one university take the time to generate list with other competitive degree options? :dunno:

An independent 3rd party maybe. But then that would literally involve researching each and every institution to see what options they offer. I think you're better off targeting a few select programs which have a good reputation and participant feedback, like Michigan Tech. :thumbs:

I thought I found one but it didn't have K-State, who is more expensive then I want but seems to be rock solid course offering for Power.

I'm currently finishing up the program at Kansas State. I've had a pretty good experience and would say it's worth the money I'm paying for it (which is nothing due to company reimbursement)

But in all seriousness they have been great to work with and have been very accommodating of my work schedule, can't recommend them enough.

@Szar

Or NC State 😉

Obviously I don't have experience anywhere else, but NC State has a really great setup for distance students.
And how would a civil engineer know specifics/quality of an EE power graduate program? :dunno:  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently finishing up the program at Kansas State. I've had a pretty good experience and would say it's worth the money I'm paying for it (which is nothing due to company reimbursement)

But in all seriousness they have been great to work with and have been very accommodating of my work schedule, can't recommend them enough.
I like theirs the best of what I've seen... it touches everything I want to learn more about.  What do you think of the curriculum material for someone a decade into the field?    

I like theirs the best of what I've seen... it touches everything I want to learn more about.  What do you think of the curriculum material for someone a decade into the field?    
I was about 9 years out of school when I started my graduate degree program.

74d.jpg

I mean in regards to how in-depth / useful it is. 

Is it a cursory review or does it give an in-depth "ah-ha" type of moment?

(and of course how much work is it.)   :violin:

I mean in regards to how in-depth / useful it is. 

Is it a cursory review or does it give an in-depth "ah-ha" type of moment?

(and of course how much work is it.)   :violin:
Not cursory at all. I wouldn't have enrolled if that were the case. I wanted a program that related closely to my career and that's why I selected the Mich Tech program. Back then I was doing consulting engineering for the power industry. 

Curriculum wise it seems to vary by class... I took a power systems protection class and it was quite basic and I took a power system stability class that was very complex... I'd say if you stick to the 800 level classes you'll get quite a bit of insite on things even after 10 years in industry.

So now that I'm done with the Power PE I'm looking for a new engineering challenge to occupy my evenings.  I have yet to attend grad school for EE but it's something I've been thinking about for a while now.  For those of you who have already completed a graduate program I'd like to ask you, how do you compare it to preparation for the PE exam?  I realize to a certain degree it's like comparing apples and meteorites, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how much of my evening would be devoted to coursework compared to what I've grown accustomed to with PE exam preparation.  Thanks for your input.
eh grad school is completely different than the PE prep....especially if its a research based Masters....

Back