PE Civil- Construction Exam Preparation Strategy Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the PE civil - construction exam in October 2011. When i studied for the FE Exam i reviewed 9 of the 11 sections for the morning and 8 of the 9 sections for the afternoon.

I am considering doing the same thing for my preparation for the PE Exam. I proposed to not review (heavily) the Water Resources & Environmental Section (20% of morning and <10% of the afternoon).

Please provide any feedback.

MorehouseGator

I passed 8hr for first time Civil/Construction. I did most of all the Water Resources, Environmental, and Soil problems. I did the first 70% of the large Structural section, ( the latter chapters get more complex). Didn't have time or get to Transportation at all. Did not study any Construction references, but have 20 + years in the Construction field of work experience. Good luck!

From what I've read this may not be the best strategy. I considered it too, but have since discounted it.

Most people who have already taken the test and have written here state that the morning section is easier than the afternoon, in terms of problem difficulty. Even though you may know more about construction, you might find the afternoon questions very difficult, whereas those 8 morning water questions were easier to get.

I keep reading a reasonable strategy is to go for at least 35/40 morning questions, at which point you only need 20/40 afternoon.

Also, why water? In my mind some of the concepts tie in closely to the geotechnical subject that learning both reinforces each other somewhat. I'm taking transportation, and if I was to drop one from my study schedule I'd drop structures - which doesn't show up on my afternoon portion and is therefore only 8 questions total. But I've decided to devote time to it hoping those 8 questions will be easy enough for me to answer.

If you need to save time, a better strategy is for water, don't go in depth with your studies on water or anything else you don't make the time for. If you learn all of the CERM water chapters it is likely overkill. If you instead get comfortable with Goswami's easier textbook than maybe that'll be all you need for the easier morning questions. Or if you stick with the CERM, probably most of the questions will come from chapters 17, 19 & 20 - just 3 important ones to review really.

@Happy:

Your insights have me reconsidering my approach. I think I will do WRE last in my preparation for the exam. My calculations had me at 30/40 AM and 26/40 in the afternoon. I suppose anything I could do to reduce my afternoon number is worth the extra time. ...my exam IS 8 months away...

@Testy:

You are my hero. So, the AM session identifies the 5 disciplines like the FE exam did? Which is to say it says construction 1-8, WRE 9-16, etc? if so, the AM should be doable. It would be a lot easier for me to handle knowing that the sections are grouped together and not random.

thank you both for your insights. good luck to us all with our careers.

MorehouseGator

So, the AM session identifies the 5 disciplines like the FE exam did? Which is to say it says construction 1-8, WRE 9-16, etc? if so, the AM should be doable. It would be a lot easier for me to handle knowing that the sections are grouped together and not random.
I took the Construction Module this past October (I passed btw) and the questions were not all grouped together. At least that is not how I remember it. It seemed like the grouped in 2s and 4s. Not all 8 in one place.

Definitely study to do really well in the morning. Questions will be easier than what you will see in the afternoon. Take advantage of it.

Some of the afternoon questions I reworked 3 times and could never get the right answer.

Back