PE Certificate Frames

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had mine laminated onto a "special black edition" placque from Michael Sutter (www.michaelsutter.com), just like my undergrad and graduate degrees. It looks fantastic and only cost $97 plus $10 shipping. The only downside is that the gold seal gets flattened in the process, but it still looks official and will not fade EVER! They will do any document this way, and they look better and better the more you line them up - very Mies-like.

Last edited:
I had mine laminated onto a "special black edition" placque from Michael Sutter (www.michaelsutter.com), just like my undergrad and graduate degrees. It looks fantastic and only cost $97 plus $10 shipping. The only downside is that the gold seal gets flattened in the process, but it still looks official and will not fade EVER! They will do any document this way, and they look better and better the more you line them up - very Mies-like.
How does that website generate any business?

How does that website generate any business?
Mostly Michael Sutter works directly with Universities. When I graduated from undergrad back in 1987, they had a deal where I could keep my copy of the diploma (loose) and they would get a 2nd copy from the school (free) for laminating. When I finished grad school in 2000, I had to provide the diploma, but they still had the "special black edition", just like with the PE last year. Personally, I hate the traditional glass and concave fake wood frame look around documents, plus they have to be matted, so this turned out to be a good alternative for me. Again, the look is better with multiple similarly "placqued" docs arranged together, a single doc looks fairly cold and modern.

So just to update. I decided to go with the FES Frame and my parents got it for me for my birthday and I am very happy with it. It is perfect for the Florida Certificates and a very nice quality. I got the Mahogany. I hung it in my office this week so my fellow workers have some proof after all this time! hehe

I receive my TX PE certificate yesterday, I got 2 frames (real wood frame) from a dollar store for my college degree and the PE certificate. Looks good. I realize the way the Board sealed my certificate not like the college sheepskin: the Board made the embossed foil then attached/glued to the certificate instead of glue the blank foil on the certificate first then emboss the seal (this way the certificate has the imprint too)

What's about yours ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dropped my stuff off at the frame shop Friday. because of the height of the calculator, he had to order some special frame, so it might be a couple of weeks before I get it back.

Speaking of P.E. Certificates, I saw my license # in the www.myfloridalicense, and was curious about how long does it take to get the actual certificate?

Thanks!

Speaking of P.E. Certificates, I saw my license # in the www.myfloridalicense, and was curious about how long does it take to get the actual certificate?
Thanks!
You should be seeing it real soon - no later than next week.

JR

The Wall Certificates in Florida are not a standard size - Walmart frames won't work in this case.
JR
That's the way Ohio's are as well...they are almost a standard size but not quite.

I ended up getting an off-the-shelf frame at Michaels (you can get a really nice frame pretty cheap off the rack) and then we went back to the area where they do the custom framing and had them cut a mat to fit. I suppose if someone really wanted to measure they would see that the width of the mat isn't 100%, but you can't tell just by looking at it. Since it seems like they always have their crap on sale, I ended up getting my certificate framed for about $20 and it looks just as good as my diploma which my mom had custom framed for $150.

Thought I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone else had additional feedback on if they planned to get a frame for their certificate. I found this website which has some nice options for personalization. Not too cheap but also not as expensive as other sites I found. Any additional suggestions on this would be appreciated. :)

Don't you have any local frame shops? Seems like, at least back when I lived in the mainland, there were always little, mom-and-pop (usually just mom) frame shops around. Your PE license is a major achievement. Doesn't that deserve something a little nicer than a ready-made Walmart frame, and doesn't that also deserve a little support for your local economy?

(says the guy with the ready-made Costco frame that fit his PE license perfectly)

Michaels has some good frames. I put all my diplomas in nice wood ones that come already set up with matte board so you just put the thing in and tape the corners and it looks professionally done.

For my PE certificate though, I'm planning on getting it laser engraved. One of my friends has his college diploma laser engraved onto metal and mounted on wood and it looks really good. I'll find out the name of the company and post it here.

$20 from Hobby Lobby. Good enough.

I just got myself a router and will be building myself a router table soon. I was planning on making some frames for the house and may replace some of the "more affordable" ones we already have.

I receive my TX PE certificate yesterday, I got 2 frames (real wood frame) from a dollar store for my college degree and the PE certificate. Looks good. I realize the way the Board sealed my certificate not like the college sheepskin: the Board made the embossed foil then attached/glued to the certificate instead of glue the blank foil on the certificate first then emboss the seal (this way the certificate has the imprint too)
What's about yours ?
I received my WA certificate last wednesday (Feb 23rd) and it's the same as yours: the already embossed foil was glued to the certificate. Kind of cheap way of doing it, but oh well.

I 'll be using this company: www.justdiplomaframes.com

They seem very reasonable compared to all other framing options I found.

:party-smiley-048:

Back