PE and Money

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our company has a set policy. You pass the PE, you get a set raise and the same bonus. I consider myself pretty under paid

Unlicensed, I gross between 61k - 62k per year, depending on OT. I hope that a license brings in more.

Civil Drafter/tech/designer 2001-2006

School full time - 2006-2008

Job with BSCE - 2008-present

Current salary is ~58k

Hoping to reach mid 60s with raise or I will start looking elsewhere. (PE with 10yrs exp)

Recently licesned, with 5 years experience, I got a $500 bonus and no raise so far. Currently make around $54k. Just found out a new grad/hire was offered around $50k...

I know I started out low when I graduated; between the small business factor and crappy economy I had no recourse at the time.

My yearly review is coming up. Depending on how it goes, I may shop around to see what I'm worth.

Worked as a tech for 10 years then went back to school for mechE. Was paid 38k as a tech. I started in machine design (small company) at 42k after graduating in 2006, changed over to petroleum industry in 2010. Now I gross around $105 as an engineer 1 (there are 5 levels and 1 is the lowest). I hope the p.e helps me get promoted to 2, thogh it is mostly polical. There is a pay scale for each level and i am still 9k from the top of mine.

My company's policy is a set weekly pay increase. Every person who passes their PE gets the same thing. No bonus. Civil Engineering firm doing business in the H20/Env/Hwy fields.

Unlicensed, I gross between 61k - 62k per year, depending on OT. I hope that a license brings in more.

I am water resources as well, and I am currently making 60K excluding OT or around 64K including all the OTs this year. For my company, the PE license bumps you up to the next title and the raise is just for the title upgrade, which is 2 - 3%. But with the title update, you won't get the 1.5x rate for overtime anymore. In fact, you have to work at least 44hours AFTER subtracting out all the meeting/non-project time to qualify for overtime. Anything less is volunteer work. So, if you work a lot of overtime, the title upgrade actually works against you.

Anyone else in the water field? How much do you guys get?

I am water resources as well, and I am currently making 60K excluding OT or around 64K including all the OTs this year. For my company, the PE license bumps you up to the next title and the raise is just for the title upgrade, which is 2 - 3%. But with the title update, you won't get the 1.5x rate for overtime anymore. In fact, you have to work at least 44hours AFTER subtracting out all the meeting/non-project time to qualify for overtime. Anything less is volunteer work. So, if you work a lot of overtime, the title upgrade actually works against you.

I feel like, if you want to really compare, you should include

1) Where you live

2) What your education is

3) How many years experience

at the very least...

I'm in the DC metro area working in water resources, with a Bachelor's degree (halfway through my master's), 4.5 year's experience. I'm currently in the mid 60s (probably around $64k factoring in occasional OT), but with phenomenal benefits.

I really like where I work and it made things easier for getting through the PE exam by staying with the same company for all of my experience. Should, I pass, I will 1) try to negotiate a salary increase- a quick look at salary data leads me to believe I am paid below market value, and 2) start shopping around.

I think I'm leaving some salary on the table and that's a good reason to look around...but more importantly, I think other companies may be able to offer me better project experience more in line with my long term interests. At this stage in my career, building up my resume is a higher priority.

I'm in water resources (4.5 years out of school) currently at $63k. I'm told I will be getting a raise with the PE just not sure how much yet...

I feel like, if you want to really compare, you should include

1) Where you live

2) What your education is

3) How many years experience

at the very least...

I'm in the DC metro area working in water resources, with a Bachelor's degree (halfway through my master's), 4.5 year's experience. I'm currently in the mid 60s (probably around $64k factoring in occasional OT), but with phenomenal benefits.

I really like where I work and it made things easier for getting through the PE exam by staying with the same company for all of my experience. Should, I pass, I will 1) try to negotiate a salary increase- a quick look at salary data leads me to believe I am paid below market value, and 2) start shopping around.

I think I'm leaving some salary on the table and that's a good reason to look around...but more importantly, I think other companies may be able to offer me better project experience more in line with my long term interests. At this stage in my career, building up my resume is a higher priority.

I am in AL, with a Master's, has 3.5 years of experience, and just got my PE. 60K is without the PE factored in.

I'm in water resources (4.5 years out of school) currently at $63k. I'm told I will be getting a raise with the PE just not sure how much yet...

I've seen newly minted Water Resources PEs making $65K - $75K from private firms down here. Depending on how much "Volunteer" work you are willing to do.

Thanks for everyone's insight.

Should I expect a true negotiation or more of a notification of a new pay?

You shouldn't be afraid to be proactive. There is no good reason against initiating your own negotiation. Worst they can do is say no- and if you make a strong case, it's difficult to imagine they would take any offense. Anyway, remember it's your career, and you are in charge of where you work and what happens to you.

If you're looking for an environment with regular time/experienced based raises, then the public sector (or a very large company) may be a good fit for you.

I've seen newly minted Water Resources PEs making $65K - $75K from private firms down here. Depending on how much "Volunteer" work you are willing to do.
Sounds about right...I'd be happy to crack 70k...time will tell

We likely won't get a specific raise, but it does open the door for promotions that wouldn't be possible otherwise (since you would have to stamp drawings). In the past they have taken folks out to the Brazilian Steakhouse for a congratulatory dinner. Also, I through a happy hour when I got my results and the company covered it.

To follow Jar's standards and add a few more: (concentration, current salary prior to PE)

1.) Piedmont of North Carolina

2.) BSCE

3.) 10 years as tech and designer

4.) Construction/Land Development/Utilities

5.) ~58k

we just hired 2 kids fresh out of college, they know nothing, they are getting $58K

Industry and location.

Petroleum Engineers are hired at my company making 86K + 20% bonus.

After they 'prove' themselves over a one year period they receive 4K raise.

Back