PE and Money

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I passed my PE, I am living large. I bought a yacht, and mansion and have a hot Russian blonde girlfriend (granted is mail order :) 0

CE_Gator I'm in exactly the same situation. There are folks with only a high school degree making six figure salaries because they have been with the company 20 years whereas engineers such as myself, 10 years experience with 2 Master's degrees and a PE license aren't even near that.

BS Civil Engineer

5 years experience & PE license

Michigan

I work for a mid size company, got my PE this October. I am making about 52k/yr, told my boss about PE but no response about the raise or promotion yet.

I have not got a raise in 2 years. After our lead traffic engineer left earlier last year, I took the lead role with no change in salary. I will have a review this week, would appreciate any suggestions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have a review this week, would appreciate any suggestions

In my experience, it's easier to get a raise by switching companies than by waiting for the typical 3% raise (or less) each year.

But if you like your current employer, consider getting a higher offer elsewhere and then negotiate with your current employer, in a professional and polite manner. Not practical in just 1 week, but advice for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smilestar here are some ideas for your consideration:

1. Research online what engineers with similar education, experience, and certifications are making in your area. BLS.gov is a good starting point. General Google searches work as well.

2. If you had performance reviews in the last three years find them. If your reviews for the two years where you got no raise were either satisfactory or exceptional, you should raise that as an issue.

3. Since you have adopted a position of greater responsibility, if you are performing that adequately then you have a valid argument for a raise.

4. Your position of greater responsibility coupled with your recent PE license should be strong arguments in your favor.

5. Regarding Tim's advice, I don't agree with forcing your employer to make counteroffers. If you are seriously thinking of moving on to another job, then do so and negotiate appropriately.

I do agree with Tim that generally you will only get a double digit raise by switching companies...

Thanks Ramnares and Tim, really appreciate it :)

Yes, the problem is I don't want to switch company though, I like my immediate supervisor

and its closer to my house, very convenient. But salary is the hands of upper management.

Back