Pavement Reinforcement

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEREADY

Reaction score
I am designing a 15" thick rigid pavement. The govering crane outrigger load is about 200 kips on 1.5' x 1.5' area. How do I decide whether I need both top & bottom reinforcement or only top reinf. is good enough? I would really appreciate your response. Thanks

I am designing a 15" thick rigid pavement. The govering crane outrigger load is about 200 kips on 1.5' x 1.5' area. How do I decide whether I need both top & bottom reinforcement or only top reinf. is good enough? I would really appreciate your response. Thanks
if anything you would only need bottom reinforcement under the outrigger pad because bending would cause tension on the bottom and not the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to make an educated guess as to how that load will be supported by the soil at the bottom of the slab, i.e. the reaction, and treat it like an "effective" spread footing, in which case bottom reinforcing is what you'll need. However, If this is a permanent installation, I would start with the minimum temperature reinforcing and see what capacity that gives you alone, at 15" that's As=15*12*.0018= .324/ft or #5's at 12 (as a minimum).

Back