Failed Mechanical MDM Multiple Times...Could use some advice...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jvanoye. The majority of the people who pass are confident on at least 60 problems and had sufficient time to check their work. 

I believe that having sufficient time to check your work helps to eliminate errors, since the exam possible answers are specifically selected to match the most common errors, like unit errors or radius instead of diameter. It seems like you have enough time and are able to catch those types of errors? If time were more of an issue, then I would suggest doing problems over and over again to increase your speed. I would also suggest making cheat sheets for the problems that you know will have a high likelihood of being on the exam. For example, just based on the ncees outline and sample exam, there is a high likelihood of a fastener group analysis problem. You could make a cheat sheet of the main possible problems within this topic. These problems would include an eccentric or concentric load that is either in plane or out of plane.  The bolt geometry would be specific to the problem but could be figured out with the understanding of the underlying concept. 

The fact that you aced vibration and strength of materials indicates to me that you truly understand the key concepts and skills in these topics. What do you think made you confident in those topics? Perhaps you can use that same method for the other topics? 

Overall i think your approach is sound. 
Thank you for your valuable advice Justin...time management continues to be an issue so I will definitely have to do what you said. Do problems over and over again to increase my speed. I have made "cheatsheets" as well but not for every problem,  so this is something I need to look into as well.

I took your survey by the way but for some reason I wasn't able to view the overall results, can you provide a link to that?

Thanks again for your help !!

Thank you for the tips and yes I have all the printouts from Dr. Tom's lessons in the 6 binders he had us assemble during the class. May I ask how much time you put in to prepping for the exam?
Not nearly as much as I could have spent studying but I remembered a lot of it from college. I didn't count hours but I'd be surprised if it was over 150 hours. 

Back