Passing SE scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADB

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone else has heard something similar to this:

multiple choice portion - somewhere around 60% is passing adjusting up or down for the statistical process

essay portion - graded on a 0/2/4/6/8/10 basis, 6 is considered minimum competence

The key is that you have to pass BOTH portions individually, not as an average...

Seems reasonable to me, but I feel I'm in a lot of guys shoes - feel that they got at least 6 out of 10. I personally think 6 out of 10 would guarantee me a passing grade. Hopefully you're right.

I did not perform as well as I expected last month on my bridge lateral. I skipped masonry completely during preparation and was aiming at 70% correct. You guys really increased my hope of passing the component.

Layman

I feel the passing score for SE should be 7/10. PE is 6/10 and FE is 5/10.
and college is 4/10 :D

I personally feel a bit worried if an engineer with 5/10 FE passing score designs anything for me.

Layman

http://www.ncees.org/About_NCEES/News/News_Pages/Update_on_April_2012_exam_scores.php

It looks like we are still having to wait the usual timeframe. I find it unusual that the exam workshop (held June 7-9) is held so late. It appears that the SE scoring is based off of the performance of randomly selected, yet highly qualified, SE's that then determine minimum competency. This is just a little speculation on my part, but most likely true.

The key is that you have to pass BOTH portions individually, not as an average...
I don't believe that's correct. From NCEES:

" ...the candidate’s combined performance on both sections (morning/afternoon) must demonstrate minimum competency"

http://www.ncees.org/Exams/SE_exam.php

That's what I'm banking on! Feeling good I nailed the mornings, but flopped around a bit on the afternoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to a previous discussion from last October about exam results. Based on this it seemed that the morning and afternoon were seperate in that one unacceptable is a definite fail (guess it could drag you down enough to push the overall below the minimum). I'm still not sure on how a needs improvement impacts overall day scores. I felt better about lateral than vertical in October but passed vertical and not lateral.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=17875

I don't believe that's correct. From NCEES:

" ...the candidate’s combined performance on both sections (morning/afternoon) must demonstrate minimum competency"

http://www.ncees.org/Exams/SE_exam.php

That's what I'm banking on! Feeling good I nailed the mornings, but flopped around a bit on the afternoons.
The combined statement is a tad vague, all it says is that it takes both scores for evaluation. Personally I feel test takers should have to pass both am/pm individually, otherwise the SE license loses its meaning.

the statement listed on the NCEES's website:

...the candidate’s combined performance on both sections (morning/afternoon) must demonstrate minimum competency"

is very misleading. I think you have to pass both morning and afternoon sections, and for the afternoon section, you cannot get any "unacceptable". Not clear about "improvement needed", I guess you can only get 1 at most: say if you get 2 "improvement needed", you still fail....

I will use myself as an example for you. I took the new exam in October 2011. I passed the first day but not the second day. My score breakdown for day 2 was 32/40 correct in the morning session, 1 acceptable in the afternoon and 2 improvement needed in the afternoon. That resulted in a fail for Day 2.

I will use myself as an example for you. I took the new exam in October 2011. I passed the first day but not the second day. My score breakdown for day 2 was 32/40 correct in the morning session, 1 acceptable in the afternoon and 2 improvement needed in the afternoon. That resulted in a fail for Day 2.
So you took the bridge module. Is the acceptable the 20-point problem or 10-point?

Yes, it was the bridge module. I believe it was one of the "10-point" problems, but I cannot recall.

Yoduh9, only you can be the judge of your own performance. Did the results surprise you? Thanks.

The results did suprise me a bit. During that exam, the problem I had was that I think for the 2 problems I got "Improvement Needed" I may have incorrectly answered the first part of the 5-part questions but I feel the remaining 4 parts were done accurately. I was always under the impression that the grader should take that into consideration and grade on theory and design, regardless if a math error was done and carried through. Oh well, personnally I am not the biggest fan of the exam because I don't feel it is a good judge of what an engineer is capable of, but being in Illinois it is a requirement. Best of luck to everyone who has taken the exam and those preparing now.

Since the first administration of 16 hr SE in April 2011, many examinees posted in this forum their detailed results of failed components. I read all of them and have the following observation for your evaluations:

There is no failed component result that has a 24/40 or better morning score AND a 3-acceptables-1-Need-Improvement or better afternoon score.

In other words, every failed compent includes a 23/40 or worse morning AND/OR an afternoon worse than 3-acceptables-1-Need-Improvement.

Layman

Since the first administration of 16 hr SE in April 2011, many examinees posted in this forum their detailed results of failed components. I read all of them and have the following observation for your evaluations:

There is no failed component result that has a 24/40 or better morning score AND a 3-acceptables-1-Need-Improvement or better afternoon score.

In other words, every failed compent includes a 23/40 or worse morning AND/OR an afternoon worse than 3-acceptables-1-Need-Improvement.

Layman
I think you are right, my another concern is: how much difference between "Need improvement" and "Acceptable"? Any guess?

Layman
I think you are right, my another concern is: how much difference between "Need improvement" and "Acceptable"? Any guess?
I agree with ADB that 6/10 and better means an acceptable, a conclusion that is also consistent my personal impression. If an unacceptable means no valuable engineering understanding offered, then Need improveemnt is something between these two.

I agree McEngr that the test taker should know how well/poorly they did. But the secrecy of the whole exam process makes the pass/fail line really murky. I wish the whole process had more transparency and accountability, but that will never happen.

Back