Passing rate repeat civil PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd largest privately held"
I fixed this typo.
Thanks---I am using my wife's MAC---Don't know how to spell check with a one button mouse???? Spelling errors are very important to point out
That was my typo, not yours. I originally wrote "publicy traded company" for some reason, then I caught it. I didn't want you to think I wasn't reading your posts, because I was. And believe me, I understand your point. It is tough making time for this test when you have a lot of other responsibiliites, and you are more likely to have those responsibilities when you are older. I don't disagree that in general that is probably true.

I just don't think Mike would deny that. I don't think his post really addresses that.

Last edited by a moderator:
READ MY POSTs--I never said they do not study---I said they have the choice to study --simple fact ----
Yeah, I know because of your leadership in your "2nd largest privately held" company, you know everything and it makes it fact. The only fact is that this is your anecdotal opinion. This is not a fact. This is your opinion, based on anecdotal evidence.

It is not a fact---he is extrapolating a hypothesis on why he thinks people don't pass---
I have read your posts. You are not reading mine.

What would you call a person who doesn't pass the first time? A "high performer?". It is not a personal judgement on anything. A person who did not pass the first time did not perform well on the test, therefore they are not a high performer. If they do not change something, they will not pass again. MAYBE THEY CAN"T CHOOSE TO CHANGE BECAUSE OF CIRCUMSTANCE DO you like that? Does that satisfy you? But it remains, if they don't change something they are more likely to continue to fail, unless they are extremely lucky. If you cannot see that is a fact it isn't worth the electrons to discuss this with you.
SO from your statement when a person passes the 3rd or 4th time now they become a HIGH PERFORMER? See how it is a judgement call about when a person passes the test--- I understand the idea that you are trying to get across but Mike still implies that the order a person passes a test dictates the level of his performance--Wouldn't you say that to label a person purely on this is overly simplistic?

PS. these are no anecdotal but observations--To be anecdotal I would have to be stating something I heard from another source. If it is observed, in could be wrong if proven other wise. I based my observation on 14 yrs X 12 engineers a year = 168 observations more than just hearsay---I will grant you the fact it is not a large sample group but it is larger than your implied group of one.

Okay, my last post because I sense it is pointless. You seem to have taken Mike's post extremely personally, like he is insulting you by calling you a name or something.

SO from your statement when a person passes the 3rd or 4th time now they become a HIGH PERFORMER? See how it is a judgement call about when a person passes the test--- I understand the idea that you are trying to get across but Mike still implies that the order a person passes a test dictates the level of his performance
Yes. By definition. Someone who performs well on the test is a "high performer". Someone who doesn't is a "low performer". And "low performers" can become "high performers" by changing their study process (again, assuming nothing gets in the way). So you became a "high performer" by definition. "Low performers" who don't change anything generally stay that way. That's how I read his post. If you don't pass the first time (low performer by definition) you are less likely to pass the second time. That is just what the numbers say.

PS. these are no anecdotal but observations--
That's not the only defnition of anecdotal. It can also be defined as -2. Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anecdotal

Even using your definition your story about your observations wold be anecdotal to everyone but you.

One other thing. I personally think it is ridiculous to assign any significance to how many times it takes a person to pass. Everyone gets the same letters after their name. Assume a cut score of 56. You and I could take the test, I could get a 57 and you could get a 55. I pass, you don't. You aren't able to study, or you are sick, or whatever, and then you take it two more times and each time barely miss. Then things free up for you, you bust your butt and get 80/80. Does that mean I know the material better than you? No.

But, like I said, I give up.

Ok, this is MY thread. I like what benbo says, now end of discussion. I will pass this thing, don't really care what the repeat pass rates are. I will radically change the paradigm of my self-pedagogy. And that's that, now it's time to grind it out for real till Oct. 29.

I wonder how many problems could have been worked in the time that it took for me to read and write a post to this thread...

Wow! Thanks to benbo and others who had my back. I certainly wasn't implying anything about anyone's level of intelligence, just summarizing what others have said on here over the years. Made sense to me and wanted to pass it along.

why there are people who always have excuses whenever they fail or think they will fail? If you are really determined to succeed on your endeavor, not even GOLIATH can stop you. No need to further explain that. I took a 3 day licensure exam (EIT equal) from my native country without attending any review centers and only studying my old college text books. I had a trouble with my big brother the night before the first day of exam. I travelled more than 4 hours going to the exam center, not yet included the travel going home and doing it again for the 2nd and 3rd day. Since I don't have enough rest a day before the exam, I felt I was going to crash in my seat. Yet I still managed to concentrate and think on how to solve the problem as accurate and as fast as I can. After few weeks, I received my results and passed the exam. I made it to the top 14th place out of the 1370+ who passed the registered mech exam and out of 2740+ examinees.

After 11 years, I migrated here in US to work for a design/consulting firm. I noticed from my bosses and managers that they have wall certificates called "Professional Engineer". All of my colleagues (90+) not including our 4 PE Managers and 1 PE owner were very familiar with the type and processes on how to get the PE license.

I told myself, I did a "self study" before and I can do it again and again. I started to read all the requirements from credential evaluation, what's the best book to study, how fast I need to solve each problem, almost every detail of the registration and exam itself. My wife has no work and we have 2 kids. I was very lucky because 3 months before the exam (PE and EIT on same weekend) me and 14 of my colleagues got laid-off due to closure of the boiler rehab group. It was during that time when I need to decide which should comes first to me. Pass the two exams by one attempt only, look for a new job, or go out and have fun with my family. For me, I don't have any options but to do it all together. 7-10 AM look for jobs on the internet, 1030 AM to 4 PM review for EIT, 430- 730 PM cook dinner and spend time with family, 8 PM to 2 AM study for PE. I did this for 7 days a week for three months. All I just think is that, this sacrifices has its end and I should take the exams only ones and passed it.

Now here I am. I passed the EIT and PE by one weekend and one attempt, I've already been working for my new job as a "Lead Mechanical Engineer" for three weeks now, and spending time with my family after the day and weekends.

I you really want to pass the exam, don't think as there will still be a 2nd chance, 3rd, etc. Just imagine that you have only one bullet left to do all this and it all depends on your focus, determination, approach, and prayers. "NEVER EVER BE CONFIDENT, ALWAYS THINK OF THE WORST". Never ever conclude on what you see and what you hear (STATISTICS).

WE ARE HERE TO CALCULATE PROBLEMS ACCURATELY AT SHORTEST TIME AND NOT TO ANALYZE HOW MANY FAILED, HOW MANY REPEATED, AND HOW MANY QUITTED BECAUSE THAT SPELLS ON HOW IT CAN TEAR APART YOUR FOCUS.

why there are people who always have excuses whenever they fail or think they will fail? If you are really determined to succeed on your endeavor, not even GOLIATH can stop you. No need to further explain that. I took a 3 day licensure exam (EIT equal) from my native country without attending any review centers and only studying my old college text books. I had a trouble with my big brother the night before the first day of exam. I travelled more than 4 hours going to the exam center, not yet included the travel going home and doing it again for the 2nd and 3rd day. Since I don't have enough rest a day before the exam, I felt I was going to crash in my seat. Yet I still managed to concentrate and think on how to solve the problem as accurate and as fast as I can. After few weeks, I received my results and passed the exam. I made it to the top 14th place out of the 1370+ who passed the registered mech exam and out of 2740+ examinees.

After 11 years, I migrated here in US to work for a design/consulting firm. I noticed from my bosses and managers that they have wall certificates called "Professional Engineer". All of my colleagues (90+) not including our 4 PE Managers and 1 PE owner were very familiar with the type and processes on how to get the PE license.

I told myself, I did a "self study" before and I can do it again and again. I started to read all the requirements from credential evaluation, what's the best book to study, how fast I need to solve each problem, almost every detail of the registration and exam itself. My wife has no work and we have 2 kids. I was very lucky because 3 months before the exam (PE and EIT on same weekend) me and 14 of my colleagues got laid-off due to closure of the boiler rehab group. It was during that time when I need to decide which should comes first to me. Pass the two exams by one attempt only, look for a new job, or go out and have fun with my family. For me, I don't have any options but to do it all together. 7-10 AM look for jobs on the internet, 1030 AM to 4 PM review for EIT, 430- 730 PM cook dinner and spend time with family, 8 PM to 2 AM study for PE. I did this for 7 days a week for three months. All I just think is that, this sacrifices has its end and I should take the exams only ones and passed it.

Now here I am. I passed the EIT and PE by one weekend and one attempt, I've already been working for my new job as a "Lead Mechanical Engineer" for three weeks now, and spending time with my family after the day and weekends.

I you really want to pass the exam, don't think as there will still be a 2nd chance, 3rd, etc. Just imagine that you have only one bullet left to do all this and it all depends on your focus, determination, approach, and prayers. "NEVER EVER BE CONFIDENT, ALWAYS THINK OF THE WORST". Never ever conclude on what you see and what you hear (STATISTICS).

WE ARE HERE TO CALCULATE PROBLEMS ACCURATELY AT SHORTEST TIME AND NOT TO ANALYZE HOW MANY FAILED, HOW MANY REPEATED, AND HOW MANY QUITTED BECAUSE THAT SPELLS ON HOW IT CAN TEAR APART YOUR FOCUS.
Wow, great story. Not sure why you bumped a 2 year old post to tell this story here - but, again, great story. :)

Back