P90X

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit I've been slacking. I got ~6 weeks into it when I got started, but life got in the way sometime mid July (getting ready to move to the new house) and I haven't done anything since. On the plus side, I did get everything setup in the basement so I can use it anytime. That is, if I get motivated to use it again.

I was thinking about jumping in on the pre-order of P90X-2. Looks like alot of similar workouts, but motified to increase flexibility and balance. Anyone else looking into this too?

I'm still tempted to by this for mr snick and myself for xmas. Can you do it without buying all the extras? What really is the time commitment needed, are the workouts longer than 45-50 minutes?

a p90x-2...lovely...another decision to add.

I'm still tempted to by this for mr snick and myself for xmas. Can you do it without buying all the extras? What really is the time commitment needed, are the workouts longer than 45-50 minutes?
With warmup, the workout, cool down, and on some days, an added ab routine, the workouts range between 45 minutes (for Cardio X) to 1.5 hours (for Yoga X). Most of them run right around 1 hour.

You really need either a set of adjustable dumb bells or resistance bands because a wide variety of weights (resistances) are needed. A pull-up bar (or resistance bands can be substituted) is an absolute must because a lot of the back exercises are different variations of pull-ups. Other than that, you don't really need anything else. They recommend push-up bars, and you'll need a chair or something to kick over and sit on during some routines.

Yeah, as a general rule, I plan on at least 1.5 hours per workout once you get dressed, get setup, workout, cooldown, cleanup. My wife and I are fortunate in that we have one section of the basement dedicated as workout space so we can leave everything setup, which helps with the time-crunch.

I had a bunch of dumbells from a local gym that went out of business years ago (5-25), but my wife wanted the resistance bands. I think dumbells run ~$1/lb for the basic steel ones, but can get really expensive if you prefer nicer handles, neoprene dipped, etc. With the handles they have available for resistance, you only need to buy a few key "weights" to save money as you can combine them to get what you want. I think we have 5, 10, 20, 40, and 80, which we can combine up to 3 bands at a time for 5-10 lb increments up to 140lbs. I agree a pull-up bar is necessary but you can get one relatively cheap that locks into a door frame. Only other thing I would highly recommend would be a workout mat. I bought one that's designed to go under a treadmill that works great (2.5'x5').

If you don't have the $ for the extras, I've heard the P90X's "sister" program is really good too: Intensity. From what I've been told, it does alot of what P90X does with the overall cardio/flexibility/balance side, but less on the strength side.

^^^ Agreed. My wife got into the "Lean" program and liked the fact she wasn't doing a ton of weights.

okay- snick, I went all out last year and got the whole she-bang to add to our fitness room... pull up bar, bands, DVD's, meal plan, shakeology, AND I upgraded our weights to the "dial a weight" etc etc etc... the whole thing ran me about several hundred dollars... but the weight set alone was expensive...

Sooo then the hubby hurts his back and I realize that I puke every time I try it...

almost a year later, ironically, I started Day 1 today, got through the entire work out, no puking. But I am also about 36 pounds lighter than I was 8 months ago...

There is a fitness test to do before starting P90X. If you don't score the minimums printed on that fitness test, I wouldn't even start P90X. I can't remember exactly what is on it, but I know it has push-ups, squats, and several other things.

^ then I'm out before I could even think of starting seeing as I can't do push ups if they aren't the modified girlie once even then its only a couple at best...i have no upper body strength.

I am jumping back into this again. Now that we've established a routine with the kiddos and the fact they're a little more self-sufficient, I am starting to get more free time again. Time for the fun again...

I plan to do the whole workout routine again, but only 3 or so times per week. It'll end up being P180+X or something like that, but I gotta keep doing this so I don't revert to my softer self.
Well, that didn't pan out the way I had planned. :blush:

Two years later and I only did, maybe, three workouts. And those were within a month of finishing. So, more or less, I haven't done anything but keep a decent diet for the past two years. However, with only the diet, I've only gained about 5 pounds. It's probably losing 10 pounds of muscle and gaining 15 pounds of fat. I still can see abs when flexing so all hope is not lost.

I'm starting my next round of P90X this afternoon and will only do the workouts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I won't have any recovery drinks or protein shakes like the EAS awesomeness I had last time. Just workout and shower. I don't expect to lose a ton of weight since I'm already nearish to my ideal weight, but I just want to look cut like last time.

I'm looking forward to being sore. :D

I pulled out my p90x dvd's last night and randomly picked one without weights. It ended up being plyometrics. I was able to keep up for the most part, but being the first workout in over a year has proven to be quite the sore morning after.

I used to be able to do the entire workout without problems, but last night I found myself sitting out an extra 30 seconds here and there and skipping a few of the reps. I now realize it's time to get back into this more regularly, because I hate being out of shape...

I started Insanity last night. A little bit shorter workout per day and much more repetitive than P90X but quite a workout.

I'm on day 40 of my P90x routine and it is going great! Really liking the results I'm seeing. Some of the moves I wasn't able to do the first week. Now I have virtually no problems with them. I have a recovery formula from GNC that I really like and put one of those free-standing workout stations in the basement. Bringing it! :p10940623:

Plyo is a damn good workout (as is Core Synergistics) and would also be quite the wake-up call if you started with it. LOL

However, with only the diet, I've only gained about 5 pounds. It's probably losing 10 30 pounds of muscle and gaining 15 35 pounds of fat. I still can see abs when flexing, I don't know how, because so all hope is not lost.
Fixt for accuracy...

I feel the same that I did during the first go-around after my first workout even though I'm 15 pounds lighter. Ugh

Our neighbor recently opened a gym based solely on P90X, Insanity, Shakeology, etc. She lost a lot of weight and got really fit. She's recruiting people really hard.

And then I saw her smoking her morning cigarette today.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister took a bunch of classes at her local YMCA. Then I did P90X and she did a couple of the videos with me when she was home one time. She recognized a lot of the moves that her instructors had co-opted. Then she did Insanity and recognized a bunch more of them. I guess there's nothing wrong with lifting routines from workout videos, but it seems dishonest to me.

I wouldn't deem it dishonest, but I would begin to question the credibility of the instructor's ingenuity and creativity. Respect would drop.

Back