P90X

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished week 5 (first week of Phase 2). Made the mistake of mixing up a couple of the routines: I did core synergistics instead of plyo on day 2 (to match the routine my wife is doing [lean] because we didn't have enough time for us to each go through our own, not so bad), but then I wanted to do plyo instead of kenpo on day 6. The mistake in doing this is that I just did plyo less than 12 hours after doing legs & back. It's really going to hurt to sit down today...

Theater is close enough to done that I now have room to exercise. Restarting P90X in about 5 minutes, but going to do the lean routine first. I don't want as much upper body workout due to some neck and shoulder problems I've been having. Absolutely disgusted by how much weight I put on and the way I look and feel, and this time, I don't have a relocation/new house to interrupt me. Like last time, planning on substituting plyo in place of kenpo, still undecided what to do about Yoga. A bunch of coworkers play Golf, and if my shoulder can take it, I'd like to give it a try again. There's a driving range just down the road that I may give a chance just to gauge how painful it is.

Best of luck. I've done a single workout since I finished many months ago, but have kept the diet nearly identical to the first round recommendations. I've lost and kept off an additional 5 pounds.

Nice!

I think the hardest part about all of this will be convincing MIAF to stop buying shit food for our meals, e.g. mini frozen pizzas, etc.

All that is "ok" in moderation. Gotta remember to limit the meals that you have complete control over - breakfast and lunch.

Problem is that I never eat breakfast, and lunch is always restaurant food from somewhere within walking distance of work. I can moderate lunch, but I think the key will be eating a decent breakfast so I'm not starving by lunch and dinner time. I'd like to start doing P90X in the morning when I'm more motivated, but that also means working out at around 4:00 am.

All that is "ok" in moderation. Gotta remember to limit the meals that you have complete control over - breakfast and lunch.

Problem is that I never eat breakfast, and lunch is always restaurant food from somewhere within walking distance of work. I can moderate lunch...
Dude, temptation is a BIATCH!

...but I think the key will be eating a decent breakfast so I'm not starving by lunch and dinner time.
I only have a cup or so of nonfat yogurt for breakfast (100ish calories). Lunch is a PB&J and apple. I have a random snack when I get home from work (couple handfuls of cereal if the missus isn't around, granola bar, popcorn) and a not-so-moderated dinner (pizza, pasta, beef stew).

Find what works best for you, but I keep preaching to those doing the program that the diet will make or break your results.

I could never swing that. Morning seems to be when I'm the most hungry, and since I go to work early and often don't get to eat lunch until later (1:00 or so), I feel starving and it makes the morning drag on. Bringing lunch from home is not something I anticipate doing, as lunch at the office is more about finding some time to get out of the office and socialize about non-work related matters than it is actually eating. Even then, there are a number of healthy local options, e.g. Showmars (chicken pitas, salads, etc), Subway, etc. Keeping the dinners in check and getting rid of all the associated after dinner crap is what will do it for me (and did it before). Need to go back to light beer, too...

Problem is that I never eat breakfast, and lunch is always restaurant food from somewhere within walking distance of work. I can moderate lunch...
Dude, temptation is a BIATCH!

...but I think the key will be eating a decent breakfast so I'm not starving by lunch and dinner time.
I only have a cup or so of nonfat yogurt for breakfast (100ish calories). Lunch is a PB&J and apple. I have a random snack when I get home from work (couple handfuls of cereal if the missus isn't around, granola bar, popcorn) and a not-so-moderated dinner (pizza, pasta, beef stew).

Find what works best for you, but I keep preaching to those doing the program that the diet will make or break your results.

Looks like I'll be starting the program again pretty soon, but probably only every other day. We have an alumni swim meet on October 1 and I'd like to get some ripped-ness back before then.

I almost forgot how much this is going to suck. Already sore, and that was from just one day of cardio-x!

I always worked out at the gym (well at least for the last few years anyhow), lifting weights mostly and am also a keen runner, my wife and I ran the NYC marathon last year which was an amazing achievement I'm pretty sure I'll never take on again as my knees are nothing like what they were after just the one. Anyhow, NYC was a great place to live, but we just switched coasts and are now in San Francisco and deiced to use the change of scenery to prompt a change in lifestyle. After take out or eating out every night of the week, we decided it was time and picked up p90x about a month ago now.

Have to say that while the workouts are definitely difficult and challenging, I feel like I'm doing less and getting more from my workouts, I really only work my upper body a few times a week now with the tapes but I am seeing results. I am almost certain that the diet is 90% of the reason for this as I never put down as much protein and as little carbs/fats as I am now. Today marks the end of recovery period #1 so a month in and we're changed people diet-wise. We're trying to be fairly strict on the food side, I've also kicked beer but we're having wine a few times a week to take the edge of work and all the other relocation stresses, we're only human.

Longer term, I feel like the diet is something I can adapt to, with a few mods to allow a more social life a couple of times a week. The salmon with the lemon dill sauce is a favourite and I don't see why we can't continue to cook in white wine or lemon juice in place of oil, butter. Tastes great! Looking forward to the end, more for how I look than to get it over with, I'm sure the bands and pullup bar will become a bigger part of my routine post-p90x too, and I'm not even sure that I want to resume a gym membership after this, maybe a pool nearby to switch things up from time-to-time.

I've been doing P90X Lean for two weeks (starting the 3rd today) with the girlfriend. We've seen progress thus far in our workouts but not on the scale. The first week I lost 4 pounds, she lost 1/2 pound, the second week neither of us lost a pound. We really haven't notice a lot of change on our clothes but a few people/ co-workers have mention that we look thinner.

Have any of you have problems with the diet? I'm trying to keep the 50% proteins, 30% carbs and 20% fat but is more like 45% proteins, 30% fat and 25% carbs.

Hopefully by the end of the first month we get some results I need to keep my girlfriend motivated as I want her to do P90x with me (she wants to do that stupid Zumba videos).

I tried to avoid carbs through all 3 phases. I kept my phase 1 diet the whole time. In the first phase, I lost zero pounds. The second phase, I lost 15 pounds. The final phase, I lost 10 pounds. ;)

For the first month, you are converting fat into muscle. I wouldn't be surprised if you gained weight. For the 2nd month on, you are burning more fat than you are replacing with muscle mass, so that's when you lose the most weight. You should have noticed your clothes fitting differently, though. Unless you were already buff to begin with.

whats this p90x lean business? is it a separate line of videos?

No, just a different regimen that cuts out a lot of the muscle workouts in favor of additional stretching/cardio/fat loss type stuff. At least for stage 1, I don't see it being anywhere near as effective as the classic routine, and if I don't see much in the way of results, I will resort back to Classic once the initial soreness subsides.

For the first month, you are converting fat into muscle. I wouldn't be surprised if you gained weight. For the 2nd month on, you are burning more fat than you are replacing with muscle mass, so that's when you lose the most weight. You should have noticed your clothes fitting differently, though. Unless you were already buff to begin with.
We are noticing in our clothes, just not as fast as we expected I guess. Since P90X is kicking our asses everyday we expected the first week to pull out the smaller jeans out of the closet. But we just decided to keep up with it and we'll evaluate our progress on the 30th day, 60th and 90th.

We are noticing in our clothes, just not as fast as we expected I guess. Since P90X is kicking our asses everyday we expected the first week to pull out the smaller jeans out of the closet. But we just decided to keep up with it and we'll evaluate our progress on the 30th day, 60th and 90th.
Well, we're in the middle of week 5, and we def. have seen results. I lost about 6 lbs, the girlfriend lost about 4. You absolutley see results after the recovery week (even though we missed a couple of workouts 'cause we have family and friends visiting that week). We both lost a couple of points on our body fat and several inches off as well.

Looking forward to the next check in at 60 days.

Back