P.Engr. or P.E. or PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore the "wait until board issues number" debby downers...I swear every 6 months they come in these threads to throw shade without fail. If you have already applied for licensure through your state and the last step is receiving the PASS notification from NCEES put whatever PE variation you want. In a few days you'll receive your license number in mail but is has already been created as of the notification from NCEES to the state so no worries. I'm sure the eyes of the law will be on your side if someone would complain. Congrats and celebrate your achievement! 

Before everyone updates their business cards and email signatures, please remember that just because you passed the test, doesn't make you a PE yet. You aren't a PE until the State issues you a licence.

I'm really not trying to knock anyone down. This is YOUR DAY! But you don't want to misrepresent yourself and get into legal trouble before your license even starts.
I was actually just coming here to ask about that.  I am so ready to add it, but I'll wait.  LAPELS website says 6-8 weeks before I get my license.  Blech.

I was actually just coming here to ask about that.  I am so ready to add it, but I'll wait.  LAPELS website says 6-8 weeks before I get my license.  Blech.
Maryland says the same thing. But it was only 13 calendar days, and that included Christmas. Some states take much longer to get everything processed. I want to say a 4+ months.

I think I'll do PE even though deep in my heart (and maybe on LinkedIn) I will be PEngr.  :thankyou: :pASSED2:

Rock on!

Before everyone updates their business cards and email signatures, please remember that just because you passed the test, doesn't make you a PE yet. You aren't a PE until the State issues you a licence.

I'm really not trying to knock anyone down. This is YOUR DAY! But you don't want to misrepresent yourself and get into legal trouble before your license even starts.
Roger that. 

Ignore the "wait until board issues number" debby downers...I swear every 6 months they come in these threads to throw shade without fail. If you have already applied for licensure through your state and the last step is receiving the PASS notification from NCEES put whatever PE variation you want. In a few days you'll receive your license number in mail but is has already been created as of the notification from NCEES to the state so no worries. I'm sure the eyes of the law will be on your side if someone would complain. Congrats and celebrate your achievement! 
You sure seem to know how all boards acknowledge the licencing process.

For a more realistic answer, until you have a number assigned, you are not licensed. Some states are quick about it, others not so much.

Change your screen name here, but wait on email, business cards, etc.

You passed the test, that is the hard part. The rest is just paperwork.

Enjoy the moment. You earned it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I understand that getting issued a license number is almost a guaranteed thing at this point but the state board has no given permission to practice professional engineering which includes advertising yourself as a professional engineer. It is very exciting to pass but it won't hurt anyone to do your due diligence and wait till the state board has granted permission.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My license wasn't "active" until after they cashed my final $300 check.

I think I'll do PE even though deep in my heart (and maybe on LinkedIn) I will be PEngr.  :thankyou: :pASSED2:

Rock on!
Congrats @Owism on passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you're not stamping any documents, or representing yourself as "licensed" (to win a contract, say), the NCEES notification should be sufficient evidence in the unlikely event that anyone questions the "PE" on your email signature. On LinkedIn, simply attach the NCEES verification link in the space provided. It takes no effort to add the verbiage "Pending state approval". 

Also PASSED - Mechanical: HVAC/Refrigeration - even though they changed the format after I'd already bought all my books.

As long as you're not stamping any documents, or representing yourself as "licensed" (to win a contract, say), the NCEES notification should be sufficient evidence in the unlikely event that anyone questions the "PE" on your email signature. On LinkedIn, simply attach the NCEES verification link in the space provided. It takes no effort to add the verbiage "Pending state approval". 

Also PASSED - Mechanical: HVAC/Refrigeration - even though they changed the format after I'd already bought all my books.

No license number = no license.

Passing the exam is one part of a multi-step path.

You really want to toe the line when you are this close? smh

Back