P.E. -- Past, Present, & Future?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed Civil PE and have an ME degree, am I the ultimate smarty fella?
20.gif

It's okay DV ... you are still okay in my book :plusone: :bananalama:

JR

Now I feel it is safe to comment on this unemotionally.

First, I actually believe this fellow GT about his credentials. That is all well and good and he should be proud. But what I can't believe is all the bragging, and more than that, putting other people down. We all have credentials in various areas (educational, athletic, military, financial, whatever) but unless it is really germaine to the topic most of us realize that nobody really wants to hear us bragging about ourselves (except bragging about good looking wives, provided pictures are available <g>). Plus this is the internet, anybody could make anything up.

As far as the topic of all the new PE exams. I really have little opinion on that. I am happy I passed and mainly I needed the license to get decent pay. Before working in gov't I never really thought about the license. I realize some exams might be easier than others, but I've only taken one, so I can't be sure. Where I work I know there are people who can't pass the civil exam and take the Traffic Exam (yes, we have traffic in CA). But I don't think these people are lesser or stupid - there are lot's of reasons people have for failing the exam.

In reality, the PE is a public safety license. In CA it is listed at the Dept of Consumer affairs with all the other licenses -real estate, cosmetology, whatever. We take some pride in it because it is a hard exam, but it not meant primarily as a bragging right. Now I will disappear again on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all have credentials in various areas (educational, athletic, military, financial, whatever) but unless it is really germaine to the topic most of us realize that nobody really wants to hear us bragging about ourselves
What if you're hung like a breadbox? Can you brag about that?

What if you're hung like a breadbox? Can you brag about that?
It's futile to try to stop people from bragging about that. But for the sake of all that's good and holy, no pictures please.

That GT ME guy is a piece of art. I feel so unworthy. Hell.He had 6 figures offers as an udergraduate. Damn it. What did they teach you in that school man? Was that MIT? Georgia Tech? Tennessee Tech? They were able to teach you to be an engineer but they forgot to teach how not to be a jerk. Dude you can't go thru life insulting and putting others down without paying the price. You might be the best damn engineer in the world but as a person???? I am not writing that here.

I am not writing that here.
Don't worry ... we know the score. :)

I remember one time in my first engineering job, one of the big guys used to shoot off at the mouth a lot. It turned out that his sister was the Chief-of-Staff for two previous governors and he as considered a blue blood in social circles. :true: However, you couldn't tell that by the way he belittled others either by undermining thier authority or just making petty, demeaning comments.

Well .. in this meeting, Mr. Blue Blood decided to show his true colors yet again. He began berating a subordinate over some picayune detail of some do nothing TPS-like report. You could totally tell he was getting off on it too.

Word got back around to the administrator who had a little chat with Mr. Blue Blood's sister and finally called Mr. Blue Blood into his office for a counseling session. While he was being taken to the wood shed he was told to repeat after the administrator ... "It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice." That became the new mantra ... and actually provided some humility to an otherwise unlikeable fella.

Only other thing about personalities - my dad used to say this world wouldn't be the place that it is without the people that it has living in it. It takes all kinds and sometimes you just have to weather the small stuff.

As far as Mr. GT goes, I wish him well in his examination and business practice. No hard feelings - just don't be a complete blowhard.

JR

Hmm, why hasn't JR made a douchebag emoticon? Seems appropriate for GT.

I also wonder what this top 3 school is teaching about writing...

Sorry I am not really adding anything of substance to this topic.

Ah, take it easy on the guy,

I see it like this: I never saw in his posts where he said he WAS a P.E. That tells me that he isn't going to make excuses for failing it, he is going to make excuses for why he doesn't need to pass it.

1. It's "watered down"

2. He is a top recruit anyway

3. HVAC is a joke, he doesn't need a P.E. to do that stuff, a monkey can

4. Industrial isn't engineering, so it makes a P.E. less valuable

5. etc. etc. etc.

Sounds like the classic case of a non-P.E. trying to justify to himself to not feel inferior to the P.E.'s at work that got promoted above him through family ties or politics. No biggie.

FWIW, a P.E. isn't any better than a Non-P.E., they just have a registration to demonstrate they are minimally competent. A non P.E. has to convince themselves and anonymous internet surfers that they are competent.

^^ :bowdown:

A sense of calm returns to the room. Thank you, Master DV for showing us the light shining thru a storm cloud ridden thread.

Hmm, why hasn't JR made a douchebag emoticon? Seems appropriate for GT.
I actually have been preoccupied with some work items, so I haven't been as involved with the board for the past few days.

How about his one --->

:D

JR

Sounds like the classic case of a non-P.E. trying to justify to himself to not feel inferior to the P.E.'s at work that got promoted above him through family ties or politics. No biggie.
Sounds like a classic case of mine's bigger than yours. I'm glad I don't play that game.

Folks,

I wouldn't take GT_ME too seriously. If you look at his/her claims, my guess is this is simply meant as an irritant. Why would a CEO/Mngmt Consultant waste their time trying to impress folks like us? Breaktime is over GT_ME. It's time to get back to the drive-thru window.

"I swear by the nipples of Vishnu, I got a 6 figure offer from the largest company in the world! Just give me your FAX number so I can prove it to you"

Horseapples!

Whoever they are, they do have a great imagination. My guess is this is closer to CAD jockey than CEO.

Take care,

Back